Michael Jackson Sonic 3 Soundtrack New Article

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Michael Jackson Sonic 3 Soundtrack New Article

Post by Midwinter »

Interesting read for anyone who has been following the Sonic 3 soundtrack rumors over the years.

http://testkitchen.huffingtonpost.com/m ... onsonic/2/
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

Sounds like the cat's outta the bag.
Midwinter wrote:Interesting read for anyone who has been following the Sonic 3 soundtrack rumors over the years.

http://testkitchen.huffingtonpost.com/m ... onsonic/2/
There can be only one Sonic! Metal Sonic is the real Sonic! Long live Metal Sonic!
Metal Sonic is the best! Death to all who oppose Metal Sonic! Metal Sonic rocks!

Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Was it partially official he contributed to its music in some way? Nonetheless, we got the full confirmation.
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

Twinny wrote:Was it partially official he contributed to its music in some way? Nonetheless, we got the full confirmation.
Sega had never officially said anything (as far as I know), but previously it had been said that MJ worked on the music and the music was never used in the final game soundtrack. I think MJ knew that having his name on videogame music was not going to help public opinion for him amidst the abuse allegations. It obviously didn't sour Sega and MJ's relations because he came back for Space Channel 5.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Kinda funny now everyone know what had pretty much been inferred to for, what, years now.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

MJ is a legend and it was obvious to all sega fans he was involved. I will always love his music.
Tic Tac, sir?
santefering
Level 5
Level 5

Post by santefering »

It doesn't suprise me. Sega always were the best at videogame music and I bet there are still a few secrets. Who knows?
Jamie64326
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Jamie64326 »

Midwinter wrote:Sega had never officially said anything (as far as I know), but previously it had been said that MJ worked on the music and the music was never used in the final game soundtrack. I think MJ knew that having his name on videogame music was not going to help public opinion for him amidst the abuse allegations. It obviously didn't sour Sega and MJ's relations because he came back for Space Channel 5.
But I thought what was previously stated in what I'd have to say was the latest insight of the composition of the soundtrack, was MJ didn't want to be credited due to the Yamaha 2612 sound chip. That's what was stated in the GameTrailers Pop Fiction series, but on that the source wished to stay anonymous. Also I believe that it was MJ who wanted to be in Space Channel 5.

Anyway this article has to be the best insight we've had so far on the composition of the soundtrack. It was also nice to here parts from Drossin, who composed some games for STI. I can't believe they told him that he would be working with Michael, and yet it also seemed like he didn't know what was going on himself.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

The King of Pop being involved with SEGA will forever be a highlight for the company and should feel proud of it.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

The only difference between the last details revealed and this new report are the following:

1. Real sources are provided instead of hidden sources. The composers are actually crediting MJ and saying the music was indeed used in the finished product.
2. More details were given about what went on behind the scenes.

I just mentioned the Space Channel 5 game to show that the relationship had not soured between MJ and Sega. It wasn't like either one was upset about what went down with Sonic 3. It also shows that MJ maintained contacts at Sega other than someone like Tom Kalinske who would have left the company probably by the time Space Channel 5 was being developed. Michael Jackson would have to be privy to the game's development to ask to be involved and it sounds like he was communicating with Shuji Utsumi.
Jamie64326 wrote:But I thought what was previously stated in what I'd have to say was the latest insight of the composition of the soundtrack, was MJ didn't want to be credited due to the Yamaha 2612 sound chip. That's what was stated in the GameTrailers Pop Fiction series, but on that the source wished to stay anonymous. Also I believe that it was MJ who wanted to be in Space Channel 5.

Anyway this article has to be the best insight we've had so far on the composition of the soundtrack. It was also nice to here parts from Drossin, who composed some games for STI. I can't believe they told him that he would be working with Michael, and yet it also seemed like he didn't know what was going on himself.