Undertale Overrated

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
ChadFox_
Level 1
Level 1

-

Post by ChadFox_ »

-
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Okay, would you mind going into more detail on why you think its over rated? All you really did was criticize the games length and call it average, but why? Most RPGs last longer than 35 hours, it personally took me 8 to finish 2 out of 3 endings.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Okay fair enough that you feel like that. But can you explain why? All you really did was say the game was to long, which is an odd thing to do because RPGs are meant to be long games. Personally it took me 8 hours to get 2 of 3 endings. Also overrated is overused, just because you dislike something that everyone likes, doesn't make it overrated.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I will admit the first area takes some time to get used to, but in the end the choices that you make in the game isn't just what made that game one of my favorites. The characters, lore and gameplay all tie into one unifying plot point that can really connect to the player depending on how you play. Toby Fox crafted an experience that has clearly hasn't been done in such a particular way, at least to my knowledge.
ChadFox_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChadFox_ »

The fact that, once you complete the Genocide Run, you can NEVER complete a True Pacifist Run EVER again. Not even if you tamper with your computer files. That is idiotic.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

ChadFox_ wrote:The fact that, once you complete the Genocide Run, you can NEVER complete a True Pacifist Run EVER again. Not even if you tamper with your computer files. That is idiotic.
That's the point. You do genocide, you can NEVER get a good ending. Also there is multiple tools online that can get rid of that for you.
ChadFox_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChadFox_ »

-
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Somecallmejohnny's review of the game is pretty much spot on on one of the flaws of the game's design but also respects why it was done within the context of the story and game mechanics. Id recommend watching that.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Permanent consequences for your actions in games is a-okay in my book. Like the ending in Nier that nuked your save file.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

ChadFox_ wrote:Here's the thing, though. Just because it's the point, doesn't mean that it's a good design choice. I mean, what if a new restaurant opened up, and they have pubes on their burgers deliberately? Any other hamburger, it would be disgusting, but in this case, it would be a great hamburger because it's an actual part of the recipe? I highly doubt that. The same thing applies to the inability to reset in Undertale. I don't know about you, but the fact that the game doesn't let you reset is an EXTREME turn-off for me, and makes me dislike the game a whole lot. It's the same reaction when finding out that there were pubes placed on that hamburger. Deliberate, but it's disgusting and I hate it.

Also, if you really have to resort to using a third-party program to remove the Genocide Run in Undertale, then that hurts it too.
That's extremely subjective. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not a good game design. This game was built around the actions of the player, and the fact that it bothers to much would imply that it had the intended effect the games developer intended.