Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChadFox_ »

-
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

Simply put, my reason for liking Sonic is just because I do. :) I don't see any reason behind it other than it's fun for me to play and watch him battle badniks and other various enemies.
There can be only one Sonic! Metal Sonic is the real Sonic! Long live Metal Sonic!
Metal Sonic is the best! Death to all who oppose Metal Sonic! Metal Sonic rocks!

Mikurotoro92
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mikurotoro92 »

I like Sonic because it's fast-paced,fun,& has some of the absolute coolest BGM in any game (sorry Mario!) however I also think SEGA should focus on there obscure IP's too!
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

ChadFox_ wrote:I thought I'd ask people why they enjoy Sonic. After giving it a lot of thought, I personally don't. What I did enjoy was any unique gameplay that would spawn from the unoriginal physics-based gameplay that people know and love.
Yay! Finally someone called it speedy platforming rather than 'going as fast as you can'!
ChadFox_ wrote:Basically, let me put it this way. Sonic is supposed to be about speedy platforming where you have to jump into enemies and make it to the end. Is that how it's supposed to be? Well, I don't like that one bit. I'd prefer to have games have a lot more depth into them as opposed to simply just walking from one end of the stage to the other without any need for thought on what to do. Not to mention people's needs for the stages to have points in the stages, special stages where you get the Chaos Emeralds, and constantly fighting Dr. Robotnik all the friggin' time. It's malicious, at the least.
Okay fair enough, you want more depth in your games. However, a lot of people like the simplicity of Sonic games and can also find it a very rewarding experience when they beat there previous clear stage time. Also, personally i'd rather Sonic games keep with the simple plots after Sonic'06 story -cringe-
I prefer for enemies to have a much better combat system, for example. You know the Zelda games? They're pretty good. Any game where there's plenty of enemies to combat, some with their own weak points and strategies, those are good fights. Sonic games tend to not really have them, with the exception of Sonic Heroes. Even Sonic Unleashed didn't do this, as it's just button mashing. It's borderline the same as Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance's combat system, but worse. When enemies began to have health bars, people began to complain. Why, though? Why are people complaining that enemies have their own strategies? They're part of the experience of the game.
Zelda and Sonic are completely different genres of games, comparing them is a bit odd. Sure you can say one is better that the other but comparing them game play wise is strange, they literally have nothing in common. When heatlh bars were introduced to enemies in Sonic, people disliked it because it made everything come to a complete stop, the combat was tedious. You said it yourself, Sonic is meant to be about speedy platforming, so these combat sections broke the flow of a game by forcing you to stop and clear the room of enimies so you can progress. All it did was make the stage unnecessary longer. When it came to Sonic unleshed, the fanbase didn't like it because it made the game into a slow simplistic platforming brawler, which is the completely opposite of what the daytime stages offered us.
Not to mention how I don't like how much of the stages in Sonic games are on auto-pilot most of the time. I like to actually DO things in games, not watch Sonic go fast. The classic games tend to do this, and I don't enjoy how the control is taken away from me. I'd say that it's better than Mario's level design, but that's mainly because Mario games tend to have some of the flattest, most boring level design on the planet (with the ironic exception of Super Mario Galaxy). Though, I will say this much. When I AM actually doing some platforming, I'm having a good time. Too bad it's scarce. The more Sonic needs to slow down, the more the challenge, and I love challenge, which is something that the games are really lacking.
I agree with you on this, It grates me when Sonic games take the control away from you. However I think the latest games have done this less and I think in Lost world it barely exists.
Just so you know, I hate, and have no need to play, games like Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Colors DS, Sonic Generations DS, and basically all of the handheld games from the first Game Gear game to today. When I DID play them, they were boring and garbage. Yet it's what Sonic fans want.
Sonic fans don't want garbage, the fan base liked these games because it stuck mostly to the roots of the original games.
So what I'm trying to say is, are Sonic fans REALLY wanting this bland of gameplay that doesn't really feel like much of anything? Because whenever the series tries any form of actual challenge (and I don't mean the drift in Unleashed, because that SUCKS), people complain. People did it in Sonic '06. Though, that game WAS very bland and boring, so I guess that's fair.
They complain because its changes to a formula that already works or it doesn't function properly.
Not to mention the stories. People don't actually want properly-written stories with fleshed out details. They want simplistic plots because it's "about a blue hedgehog fighting a silly fat scientist and needs to be absolutely light-hearted to be any good". Now, Mario games did this, and the plots all SUCK. No writing, and the game doesn't even make up for the bad stories in the Mario games. Sonic fell into the same trap. ON THE POSITIVE SIDE, Sonic Adventure 2 had one of THE greatest stories to ever exist in any video game EVER. Everything about that game's story was spot-on. The rest of the games in the franchise? Well, minus Sonic '06, they all suck. Even Sonic '06 had a crap story due to its holes and constant reminders that it was edgy.
No one plays a Sonic game for the story. Mario is still successful today because it keeps the story simplistic and focuses on the gameplay. Kind of like the newer and older Sonic games did (Sonic Boom doesn't count). Also i'm glad you enjoyed SA2 story, but going back to it today, I realize that its actually quite bad and full of plot holes.
So let me know. If people ACTUALLY want all Sonic games to be like the original classics for the Sega Genesis, and believe that THOSE games are THE highlight for the blue hedgehog... then I'm out. I'm moving on to another, bigger and better franchise. I played Sonic Adventure and I enjoyed it, and I came out only enjoying one game in the series, and that was Sonic Adventure 2. That's almost a perfected game within itself.

If there were more games like Sonic Adventure 2, then I'd love the Sonic series. However, none exist, so this franchise isn't obviously for me.
Me personally, I want a 3D sonic game that feels like the orginals, we got that in the form of Sonic Colours and Genearations. I went back to SA2 and found out that I only really like the Sonic and Shadow parts of the game (thats 1/3rd of the game), however the stages in that game are very linear and dont allow for much exploration sadly.[/QUOTE]
Though, I'm curious. Why do YOU like Sonic?
Because I grew up with him, the older games still hold up today and are still fun to play and also the last few Sonic games were quite good. I HATE he boom sonic, thier is literally no reason for its existence.
AIAI1980
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AIAI1980 »

Well gonic pretty much summed up everything so I'll just say why I love sonic. It was new years eve 1995 and id just said goodbye to my grandad although I didn't know it at the time. Me and my dad got home and just before we went out to new years house party my auntie rang my dad I had a bad feeling but as my dad didnt want to upset me befor the newyear he didnt tell me, my grandad had died. At the party instead of my usual dancing I was glued to the tv me and some other children 2 girls one I.liked lol. We where playing sonic 2 and none of us could get past stage 2 in the chemical plant lol. Basically playing sonic kept my mind off that phone call and what it meant.
Next its the character of sonic he is cool its a shame really sega created an amazing character that I just I hope in my life time creates a game that lives up to this amazing character. He is a super sonic hedgehog wow I love the idea of fast things that aren't meant to be. Then there are the games they are fun im rubbish at most of them and yet I still have fun playing them.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

How is the physics based mechanics of the original Sonic games unoriginal? That shit was groundbreaking when the Sonic 1 first came out and was improved on and refined in the next two sequels.

You're also confusing a minimal story that serves its purpose to give the player some agency (eggman does evil shit, bowser kidnaps peach etc) with bad story telling (antagonists granddad makes an edgelord hedgehog in the deathstar) which is hilarious since you cite Adventure 2 as some sort of pinnacle for the franchise despite it and '06 being fucking embarrassing that probably set peoples perception of quality writing in videogames back to the stone age.

In fact, I'm not even sure if your post is even serious? You complain about control constantly being taken away from you despite the fact the Adventure games are by and far one of the biggest culprits for this shit, because hell they'd have to be since when you do get control it's a complete mess.
Jackisback
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jackisback »

first I played adventure 2 battle at my cousins, liked playing it. Then saw him on 4kids (and yes, I do now Know that Sonic X is trash and that cris is a peace of crap) and found out that he could become a ball. I then like him in a design and started drawing him, which started me on trying to be a liking him more. After that got sonic unleashed and enjoyed the game. then got sonic heroes and fell in love with the music. feather down the line, discovers the internet and got entertained by the fan base. In whole I just love the stuff sonic has done and effected, it makes me happy.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Its music is a reason I still like the brand/franchise to this day.
Jackisback
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jackisback »

It's the one thing that we as fan, can look back and know it will always be radical and awesome.
MisschiefMajique
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MisschiefMajique »

I was blessed to turn 5 just after the release of Sonic 1, so I pretty much grew up with Sonic and Sega. It really just stuck with me all my life no matter what other games, TV films or anime I was watching or playing, he was there.

Even better, I can ride horses. I've been riding properly for around 17 years.

I learned to ride on a pony called Sonic and even up until recently still got to ride him; for an old fella he's got some spring in his step and attitude which the kids just can't handle!

In short, I just can't escape the Blue Blur, and I think I'm fine with that.