Why are we seeing so much FREAKING sappy love songs with modern VGM?

What it says on the tin...
Jackisback
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jackisback »

And I can hear the faint sound of the distant waves!
Mikurotoro92
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mikurotoro92 »

Forget my PSO & PSU examples I have an even better example of this:the song Worth a Chance from Sonic & the Secret Rings it did NOT sound like something from a video game ESPECIALLY a Sonic game (where most of the vocal music is rock or punk rock/emo) rather I picture it playing in a romantic Nicholas Sparks movie! This is a perfect example of what I am talking about!
supersega
Level 6
Level 6

Post by supersega »

Hate on Persona?

trigger3d.exe
Collection; Neo Geo CD, JVC X'Eye, Model 1 Genesis, Model 2 Genesis, 2 Japanese Saturns, 2 Game Gears in a few thousand pieces, 5 or 8 PS1s (don't judge), 1 PS1 DTL (TOOL, NOT a Yaroze), 1 Gamecube, 1 Wii, 1 Xbox 360, 2 Gameboy Advances, 1 3DS, 1 PS2 TEST that WORKS!!!

Do I have a console addiction?
Mikurotoro92
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mikurotoro92 »

supersega wrote:Hate on Persona?
No you got it all wrong I was saying that Persona was one of the ONLY exceptions to this!
Buta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Buta »

Dance Dance Revolution is another series with some love songs. Love songs don't bother me in general though. There's plenty of variety despite the apparently now appearing songs that just happen to be about love. I imagine it's a design choice for the game rather than "oh we want to hit the charts" choice. That said, a lot of cross media stuff happens in Japanese media so it may be the case with Japanese titles at least. Even if it was though, I still ain't fussed.
Mikurotoro92
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mikurotoro92 »

Buta wrote:Dance Dance Revolution is another series with some love songs. Love songs don't bother me in general though. There's plenty of variety despite the apparently now appearing songs that just happen to be about love. I imagine it's a design choice for the game rather than "oh we want to hit the charts" choice. That said, a lot of cross media stuff happens in Japanese media so it may be the case with Japanese titles at least. Even if it was though, I still ain't fussed.
Hmm you may be on to something I never thought of that being the reason but the more I think about it it makes sense!

Also this is mainly something with modern Japanese games because most modern American & British-developed games use either licensed top-40 pop music or movie-style orchestral stuff!

EDIT:also to clarify I don't hate EVERY single VGM love song rather what I actually hate are the really slow-paced romantic ballads like Dreams Dreams (but that might be because I don't like ballads in general) so when I said "sappy love songs" that's the kind I'm referring to!
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

You've never been in love, have you Mikurotoro92?
AIAI1980
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AIAI1980 »

Understand not what you say. If a vg has a romantic part for example ryo and nozomi on the bike in shenmue would you have rock music techno?
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Kaito-kun wrote:You've never been in love, have you Mikurotoro92?
Kaito! That's rude!
Click to reveal
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

AIAI1980 wrote:Understand not what you say. If a vg has a romantic part for example ryo and nozomi on the bike in shenmue would you have rock music techno?
I would... but then there is very few situations that I don't think the use of techno would improve.