Welcome to RadioSEGA, if you are not a member register today!

RadioSEGA
  • News & Features
  • Playlist & Requests
  • Listen to RadioSEGA
  • Shows & Podcasts
  • RadioSEGA Media
  • Community
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    Getting to the top! PTKickass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Benavente, Portugal
    Posts
    21

    Default Worst Sonic songs?

    I think I can safely say that the Sonic franchise is full of great songs. But... what about the bad ones? Post below the worst Sonic songs that you can find!

    PS: Try to not post the Sonic Chronicles OST :v
    An adventure is no fun if it is too easy!

  2. #2
    ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) Gonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Stockport, Manchester
    Posts
    2,029

    Default

    I'm gonna be that guy and say Sonic Dark Brotherhood. Most of Shadow The Hedgehog soundtrack was pretty bad to.

  3. #3

    Default

    Most modern Sonic music suffers degraded quality because of these guys doing the sound work:

    Wavemaster.jpg

    And why is that? Because they're guilty of being a player in a issue that is a current thing in the audio industry:



    Listen at any music that has run through them and it looks and sounds like a mess of noise. Vocal's especially end up sounding bad, at least the copies of Live and Learn I have lead vocal is always crackly like the sound is being overdriven.

  4. #4
    Getting to the top! PTKickass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Benavente, Portugal
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonic View Post
    I'm gonna be that guy and say Sonic Dark Brotherhood. Most of Shadow The Hedgehog soundtrack was pretty bad to.
    IMO, the Shadow the Hedgehog OST wasn't that bad. I mean, just look at G.U.N Fortress. That guitar... :3

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by voice View Post
    Most modern Sonic music suffers degraded quality because of these guys doing the sound work:

    Wavemaster.jpg

    And why is that? Because they're guilty of being a player in a issue that is a current thing in the audio industry:



    Listen at any music that has run through them and it looks and sounds like a mess of noise. Vocal's especially end up sounding bad, at least the copies of Live and Learn I have lead vocal is always crackly like the sound is being overdriven.
    Never noticed that until now. Thanks for the info! I think I can see that problem in "Death Ruins" from the Shadow the Hedgehog OST.
    An adventure is no fun if it is too easy!

  5. #5

    Default

    A little addon to explain what I mean by over driving, I've taken two songs as a example, since you were mentioning Shadow the Hedgehog I decided to grab Crush 40's Never Turn Back and compare it with another modern song The Fratelli's Baby Fratelli.

    1.jpg

    Look about the same noise-wise so lets go ahead and tell Audacity to show us any bits over driven:

    2.jpg

    As you can see, Crush 40's track turns into a sea of red. This is what I mean by Wavemaster degrading sound quality and they tend to be the worst of the bunch.

    EDIT: Sorry, I still had GIMP open.

    wavshad.jpg
    Last edited by voice; 23-08-2016 at 20:17.

  6. #6
    Resident Nerd & Asshole
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sanctuary Falls
    Posts
    84

    Default

    This Is Obvious, But Both Versions Of Sonic Boom And Every DS Game That's Not Rush 1 Or Colors DS.
    Once Again, It's Obvious. But It Still Deserves To Be Mentioned.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voice View Post
    Most modern Sonic music suffers degraded quality because of these guys doing the sound work:

    Wavemaster.jpg

    And why is that? Because they're guilty of being a player in a issue that is a current thing in the audio industry:



    Listen at any music that has run through them and it looks and sounds like a mess of noise. Vocal's especially end up sounding bad, at least the copies of Live and Learn I have lead vocal is always crackly like the sound is being overdriven.


    But that would mean most of Sega's OST's are bad quality because Wavemaster is the primary distribution label for Sega!
    Last edited by Mikurotoro92; 24-08-2016 at 08:33.

  8. #8
    Sonic ***** Team ****** Quills on Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Land of Down Under
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    I generally feel like Sonic music has lost its quality with Sonic Colours having been the last game that had great ost. I can't help but feel like all the games afterwards just had generic happy music with no real spirit. Sure they were ok, but they weren't memorable like Crush 40 songs or the other lyrical bands.

    Having said that, the only time I can safely say I was quite disappointed in a Sonic game's OST, would be for Sonic and the Secret Rings. Seven Rings in hand was horrible in both melody and lyrics (Even Crush 40 couldn't save the song from being bad) and the rest of the soundtrack didn't do too much to redeem itself. Let the Speed Mend it was probably ok but overall, I had a lot more hope as the game's theme meant I'd hear some sick arabian rock hybrid songs.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quills on Wheels View Post
    I generally feel like Sonic music has lost its quality with Sonic Colours having been the last game that had great ost. I can't help but feel like all the games afterwards just had generic happy music with no real spirit. Sure they were ok, but they weren't memorable like Crush 40 songs or the other lyrical bands.

    Having said that, the only time I can safely say I was quite disappointed in a Sonic game's OST, would be for Sonic and the Secret Rings. Seven Rings in hand was horrible in both melody and lyrics (Even Crush 40 couldn't save the song from being bad) and the rest of the soundtrack didn't do too much to redeem itself. Let the Speed Mend it was probably ok but overall, I had a lot more hope as the game's theme meant I'd hear some sick arabian rock hybrid songs.

    To be honest ALL VGM has turned to crap that's why I prefer mostly classic VGM (with some modern stuff)! VGM went to crap when it became nothing more then a derivative of movie music!

  10. #10
    Sonic ***** Team ****** Quills on Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Land of Down Under
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikurotoro92 View Post
    To be honest ALL VGM has turned to crap that's why I prefer mostly classic VGM (with some modern stuff)! VGM went to crap when it became nothing more then a derivative of movie music!
    Nah. I wouldn't go that far just yet. Depending on what they're going for, videogames can have some pretty amazing music. Even modern ones. From gigantic orchestrated symphonies to catchy hip hop beats. It's just Sonic music that I think has lost its charm ever since it took a turn for being more kids friendly and Mario-like.

    Ultimately tho, I'm just saying that I miss Crush 40. :'(

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RadioSEGA is a fan site and is not owned or endorsed by SEGA Corporation.
All music tracks played on this station are © SEGA and/or respective artist(s).
The SEGA logo and all associated characters are © & ™ of SEGA Corporation.

RadioSEGA is © 2009 Mark Kidley and © 2011-2013 Simon Shirley - oh, and probably Gavin Storey too!
Contact Us
About RadioSEGA
Help & Support
Staff Login