Wouldn't you guys get in trouble for playing mainstream music on here?

Have something to say, or having any issues? Let us know...
Mikurotoro92
Level 7
Level 7

Wouldn't you guys get in trouble for playing mainstream music on here?

Post by Mikurotoro92 »

There's a LOT of non-VGM that just happens to be in a game played on here

(e.g Samba de Amigo)

I mean wouldn't you guys get in trouble for playing popular music that didn't originate from a game (aka mainstream music)?

So my question is: what should be done with all the mainstream songs?

The right thing to do would be to remove them but I'm not in charge of RS so idk!

What do you guys think?
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Mikurotoro92 wrote: The right thing to do would be to remove them but I'm not in charge of RS so idk!
That is totally not a biased opinion because you do not consider these tracks video game music, and don't like them.
Right?

Face it, not every person in the world likes everything that exists, but they just deal with it.
Maybe it's time for you to do so as well.

Additionally, it would be appreciated if you let these `issues`, regarding `trouble`, be handled by RadioSEGA's own staff.
Thank you.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Considering we've been around for 10 years, I dont think its even a problem. If it was, i'd expect the staff to handle it fairly.
Ravsieg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ravsieg »

Whooa21 wrote:That is totally not a biased opinion because you do not consider these tracks video game music, and don't like them.
Right?

Face it, not every person in the world likes everything that exists, but they just deal with it.
Maybe it's time for you to do so as well.

Additionally, it would be appreciated if you let these `issues`, regarding `trouble`, be handled by RadioSEGA's own staff.
Thank you.
Pretty much this sums it up. Be it traditional or not, every track that's on videogames is technically VGM. If every single one of us were to complain based on own our opinions on what is pure VGM or not we'd spend our time squabbling and arguing instead of actually running a community site for our listeners and fans.

And as Gonic says, there's people who are handling this for 10 years. They are definitely experienced enough to know what they can and cannot do. Don't worry about that. But to be honest, your worries appear to be biased... As in, you hope it's trouble so that we're forced to remove what you disapprove of. It doesn't work like that.
Rexy
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Rexy »

Personally, I'm more in the traditionalist boat of "only vgm if made for the game in question" like OC Remix does, though with some other iconic themes being licenced for videogames I can see why RadioSEGA would also keep them on the server. It does however draw a fine line as to what is considered legal and what isn't and did indeed affect the availability of one or two soundtracks on the server for some time (esp. Crazy Taxi, which soundtrack is entirely licenced).

But if the staff in general are able to approve of licenced-out VGM on the site, I'm cool with their decision.
Mikurotoro92
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mikurotoro92 »

It's not the songs by mainstream artists that are specifically made for games I have a problem with, it's the songs that aren't specifically made for games!

I mean I'm no expert, but wouldn't RS have to pay the record label royalties each instance the song is played?

With the original VGM that's all owned by Sega but mainstream songs are owned by different record labels
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

It's time to stop. You already got an answer. Closing Thread.