Nintendo Switch

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Nintendo Switch

Post by Twinny »

The dust has settled.

The nearly two year, 19-month drought comes to its end.

Today, Nintendo unveiled its newest home console, formally called NX, now known as Nintendo Switch.

[youtube]f5uik5fgIaI[/youtube]

The Nintendo Switch is being billed as a hybrid gaming console: making swift transition from home to portable gaming. In addition:

• Can be played with a standalone or detachable (to portable/Wii U-like) controller called the Joy-Con.
  • The large portion of the detachable controller can be used as a tablet to play games on while the ends (still called "Joy-Con") can be used as the controllers themselves.
  • Console is REGION-FREE.
  • Has a peripheral to keep all of them in place called the Joy-Con Grip.
  • Its main base (to hold and charge the peripheral) is called "Switch Dock." Also serves as the TV output being the home component.
  • Uses game cards like the 3DS.
  • NVIDIA confirms its software powers Switch.
  • Has Amiibo support

Here's more details of the console:
The attachment CvN52pzWcAAV1N9.jpg is no longer available
The console drops March 2017.
Attachments
CvN52pzWcAAV1N9.jpg
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Ryan the Game Master
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ryan the Game Master »

I'm glad they didn't outright ape the PS4/Xbox One designs. I was fearing they would have to in order to appease the hardcore crowd.

Concept: "Mobius" is still alive. Check out the "new" area![HR][/HR]Help needed for Sonic fangame project. Artists, programmers, and modelers, mainly. If you are interested, message me.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I think this is what the Wii U should have been. Overall very nice though. The reception seems a lot better than the Wii U's.

I also personally liked how they showed the Switch in a potential eSports scene with Splatoon. Would be interesting to see Nintendo properly enter the eSports market.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Looks alright. Price will be the big factor for a lot of consumers. As with every other Nintendo console; it will live or die depending on 3rd party and retailer support.

Time will tell.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

buying day 1 if there is even the slightest performance or IQ upgrade for the new zelda. heck even if there isn't the portability is a huuuuuuuuuuuge pro for me especially if this means MonHun is coming to it, shits gonna look so good. Shame what happened to the WiiU, it was a really good console by the end of it but ah well.
Mick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick »

It seems cool. I'm probably not gonna get it the month it is released. I'm sure it'll be pricey.
voice
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by voice »

A re-packaged Nvidia Shield. Wireless controllers that look tiny but can be combined with the continuing hybrid tablet/console gimmick that didn't push WiiU units that much, why console makers can't give us a cabled option anymore is beyond me, sure the Steam Controller is wireless but you can hook a USB cable up to it and it'll work that way. Rumored ~$400 starting price when mentioned Shield is $300 for the PRO version. One of their big launch titles is a game that is just about five years old. 3DS style game carts so your $50-70 game can get lost more easily.

From what I've seen elsewhere online this has been the general reaction by fans to this latest attempt by Nintendo to say they're not dead yet...

RSN Network: Website | RSN Live (Matrix)
Reach out to me via the RSN Matrix / IRC or the RadioSEGA IRC
Linux gamers represent!
supersega
Level 6
Level 6

Post by supersega »

I agree with cyni-I mean, voice. Its nothing amazing. Carts are a great idea considering how cheap flash memory has gotten and how much more you can put on one than a Blu-Ray disc (50GB vs. up to nearly 512GB, but even 128GB is only $30-40) though. I'd like to see a return to carts. Less things to go wrong on a unit as well that way.
Collection; Neo Geo CD, JVC X'Eye, Model 1 Genesis, Model 2 Genesis, 2 Japanese Saturns, 2 Game Gears in a few thousand pieces, 5 or 8 PS1s (don't judge), 1 PS1 DTL (TOOL, NOT a Yaroze), 1 Gamecube, 1 Wii, 1 Xbox 360, 2 Gameboy Advances, 1 3DS, 1 PS2 TEST that WORKS!!!

Do I have a console addiction?
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Two things.
One, a Greek shop put it up for preorder, for 400€, which I think is too expensive for something that is essentially a glorified tablet. ( http://www.public.gr/product/gaming/con ... 8280069pp/ )
Two
Click to reveal
Attachments
switch_2.jpg
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

voice wrote:A re-packaged Nvidia Shield. Wireless controllers that look tiny but can be combined with the continuing hybrid tablet/console gimmick that didn't push WiiU units that much, why console makers can't give us a cabled option anymore is beyond me, sure the Steam Controller is wireless but you can hook a USB cable up to it and it'll work that way. Rumored ~$400 starting price when mentioned Shield is $300 for the PRO version. One of their big launch titles is a game that is just about five years old. 3DS style game carts so your $50-70 game can get lost more easily.

From what I've seen elsewhere online this has been the general reaction by fans to this latest attempt by Nintendo to say they're not dead yet...

THE PC GAMER HAS SPOKEN!! All other opinions are irrelevant!

I love cynical wankers who'll proclaim the worst with their hot take before we actually know any details.