Sonic Forces

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
RetroBob
Level 5
Level 5
Preferred pronouns: That bellend

Sonic Forces

Post by RetroBob »

I went in to this just off Sonic Mania as many will have and clearly wasn't expecting it to be as good as that. I've not actually played a 3D Sonic game properly since Sonic Heroes (I own Lost World and played the demo but didn't play yet).

The missions and red Robotnik things have made me replay levels and want to explore more
It's beautiful, the created an interesting world

Dislikes
Controls can be frustrating... the homing attack just doesn't recognise the targets quickly enough, I find I have to move around a bit to find the right spot. Also, say there's 5 enemies, if you get it right then you can chain 4 of them but then it loses the 5th... annoying.

What does everyone think?
GreenViper8
Administrator
Administrator
Preferred pronouns: he/him

Post by GreenViper8 »

I got the game Saturday (thanks UK postage), so I've been spending quite a bit of time with the game, as well as it's DLC. I'm going to keep it decently brief (mostly because I plan on reviewing the game and I want to save my full thoughts for there)

Positives
+ Replay value (Collectables and bonus stages).
+ Character creator is very in-depth and allows you to customise almost anything. I think this will definitely return in new Sonic game
+ Although the soundtrack is very hit and miss, I really enjoy the songs from the Custom Character and Episode Shadow stages.
+ The level design may be a step back from previous boost games, but this is probably the best Modern Sonic has played (in terms of control and moveset).

Negatives
- Classic Sonic. Not only does he lack a purpose of being in this game, but this is in my opinion the worst version of Classic I have ever played (Yes, even worse than Sonic 4 Episode 1). This downgrade is especially noticeable coming off the fantastic Sonic Mania.
- Difficulty Spike. The game starts off too easy, and instead of a gradual gradient, it stays really easy up until close to the end, where the game becomes unfairly difficult (Glares at the final Classic and Avatar stages).

If there's anything else to add, I'll edit the post, but otherwise, I quite enjoyed Sonic Forces, and I would encourage you to at least purchase the game if you are a Sonic fan or are curious about the game.

Final rating: 7/10
:SEGA:
RetroBob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RetroBob »

I'd ordered from ShopTo - did anyone else get that Sonic hat? I have a blue onesie from part of a fancy dress outfit a few years ago, so that can also be used for Sonic... I look ridiculous in it (no I will not post a picture!).
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around this game. I came in with no expectations whatsoever and I can't say I'm disappointed! XD
It's fun at times, so I can't really say it's plain bad, but it tries to do so many things at the same time without actually succeeding in any of them that I can't say it's good either. It's so heavily scripted and automated at times that I wondered what it needed me for. I mean, if I'm not expected to play, why am I holding the controller? :P
Still, I've enjoyed some of the stages and had a decent time with it, while it lasted. There is one hard-ish stage (Classic Sonic's final stage) but the rest is super easy and very short. Sonic Team still haven't figured out what they want Sonic games to be like with all their experimenting.
All in all, I think it's somewhat fun and the fact that it's actually playable makes it much better than 06. However, I'm just gonna 100% it really fast and go back to Super Mario Odyssey, a much better platformer without an identity crisis.
Bubblegumspit
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bubblegumspit »

The game seems okay so far. I don't think it's really good, but I don't think it's terrible either. The controls aren't very good though, the homing attack is frustrating and never works right. I've been thinking about doing a review of the game once I beat it. :biggrin:
AcryBristle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AcryBristle »

Been playing the game since launch and, while i don't think the game is perfect, i've been loving it!

The addition of the OC creator is actually reaaaally fun and i love the levels based around them!
Modern Sonic, while a bit restrictive in the first few levels, really is a blast to play and i keep finding new ways to speedrun the levels quicker!
Classic Sonic is fun, if a bit weird with the momentum, it's something i could get used to and been making pretty damn good runs with him!

Sure, again, it isn't perfect; Classic's momentum is weird, the levels could be a little longer and the game itself could be a lot longer, but what there is i've had a lot of fun with! I feel like it was a good first try with the new engine, it's not one of the best games in the series but it really is a damn good one!
Corbo!
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Corbo! »

I bought it at launch, and I've only played about four hours the weekend it came out. I would play more but the system I have it on (XboxOne) is at home, and the next I'd be able to play it is when I go home for Thanksgiving break. But I digress, the last level I've beaten was the Metal Sonic boss and I've played through Episode Shadow.

So far I find it better than I expected, which to be honest before the game out and seeing the game play videos of it, I didn't have that much faith in the game. I am having a ton of fun with it! I expected to get all the through the game in those four hours, seeing as how people have been able to beat in about 2-3 hours. But I was too busy going back to the later levels to get that S rank, or to get all the Red Rings, or to do one of the S.O.S. missions or challenge levels. And of course replaying those levels just because I found them a ton of fun to blast through, and try to get the best time in. Also I was surprised how much I enjoyed customizing my avatar, and how I'd go out of my way to do those specific challenges that'd give you more avatar items. (like the ones that are like just do an air boost as Sonic)

Although I do find the levels are not as well designed as Unleashed or Generations, which I expected. Like they're not as thought out. The look of the levels however, are spectacular as always. And of course, Classic Sonic's controls feel off. Differently than the Genesis games or Mania, although he doesn't feel that much different than in Generations (his spin dash definitely seems nerfed though). Not sure what my definite opinions are of Modern Sonic and Avatar's controls are, it is kinda weird that they took out Modern Sonic's drift though, not sure why they did that. Maybe it would've gotten in the way of the tag team stages.

But anyway, I could type a lot more on my opinions of the game but so far I think it's pretty good, and it's very fun. But just not as good as Unleashed, Colors or Generations.
RetroBob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RetroBob »

Bubblegumspit wrote:The game seems okay so far. I don't think it's really good, but I don't think it's terrible either. The controls aren't very good though, the homing attack is frustrating and never works right. I've been thinking about doing a review of the game once I beat it. :biggrin:
You'd think they'd have worked out how to do the homing attack properly by now right?
GreenViper8
Administrator
Administrator
Preferred pronouns: he/him

Post by GreenViper8 »

RetroBob wrote:You'd think they'd have worked out how to do the homing attack properly by now right?
I noticed that too. The fight against Zavok in particular had many times where I was right next to the badniks and yet the homing attack reticle never appeared. A few tweaks and I think this engine could produce a game on par with Generations in terms of gameplay alone but we're not quite there yet.
:SEGA:
Bubblegumspit
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bubblegumspit »

RetroBob wrote:You'd think they'd have worked out how to do the homing attack properly by now right?
I know! It was alright at first, once in a while it wouldn't work that great, but later on in the modern era it got kind of crappy. Especially with Sonic Forces. :rolleyes: