Sega games you really want to get into but find hard to

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
BenFioren
Level 1
Level 1

Sega games you really want to get into but find hard to

Post by BenFioren »

I'd love to your choices on games you really want to enjoy, but put off by things like complex system/difficulty/slow starting etc.

Mine originally was Buck Rogers on the megadrive, but I got it all down now and love it.
So now I'd say Starflight. It's similar to buck Rogers but I've no idea what classes I should choose, what I'm supposed to do and "where the heck am I landing, oh I'll just pick at random... Oh nothing there/crushed by gravity ".

Oh and perhaps Phantasy Star, the maps seem really dull but I have a feeling I'd enjoy it if I pushed my way through it.
Nicolaas Hamman
Playlist Manager
Playlist Manager

Post by Nicolaas Hamman »

Typically the things I don't want to get into end up being the things I find it hard to get into. I did, however, somewhat want to get into PHANTASY STAR, if only out a sense of responsibility as a SEGA fan, but I'm not RPG-crazy anymore, so both PS and PS2 bored me when I tried them.

I'm hoping PHANTASY STAR ONLINE might be a different story, and am considering trying PSO2 if/when it becomes available for me to play.
Staff for VGMdb
Admin for 140 Seconds VGM
Editor for SEGA RETRO
Owner of SEGA MUSIC EVERYDAY

"If there's something about video game music that Nicolaas Hamman doesn't know, it probably isn't worth knowing" - ResidentSD.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

What a great question!

There are ones that I've been interested in but never got the time to look at them like Jet Set Radio or Phantasy Star Online.

At the moment though, my eyes are on Street of Rage 4. I really want to get into that game but I'm a bit short on friends to play it with. I tried playing Streets of Rage remake with some of my mates and they all didn't really enjoy it to my surprise. Since SoR 4 is more or less the same, and I want to play it with friends rather than alone, I'm kind of waiting for the right person. Maybe a future missus
GreenViper8
Administrator
Administrator
Preferred pronouns: he/him

Post by GreenViper8 »

PSO2 and Shenmue II/III. I've tried so hard to like them, and have found small bursts of enjoyment from them but not ever enough to be invested without getting bored and turning off.
:SEGA:
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

GreenViper8 wrote:PSO2 and Shenmue II/III. I've tried so hard to like them, and have found small bursts of enjoyment from them but not ever enough to be invested without getting bored and turning off.
I was interested in Shenmue but I've heard from so many accounts that it's just aged very poorly and sucks to play nowadays. Something about lots of unnecessary waiting. All of that kind of put me off of the franchise. That and also hearing that Shenmue III wasn't very good.

I definitely have my eyes on Bayonetta and another series that I forgot the name of but remember it kind of looked like Halo with Parkour elements (Edit: Found it! Vanquish). Just haven't had the time for them atm.
mr_roboto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mr_roboto »

Quills on Wheels wrote:I was interested in Shenmue but I've heard from so many accounts that it's just aged very poorly and sucks to play nowadays. Something about lots of unnecessary waiting. All of that kind of put me off of the franchise. That and also hearing that Shenmue III wasn't very good.

I definitely have my eyes on Bayonetta and another series that I forgot the name of but remember it kind of looked like Halo with Parkour elements (Edit: Found it! Vanquish). Just haven't had the time for them atm.
Vanquish is a pretty cool game... the first (and possibly only) time you play it, that is, since it unfortunately has no replay value. I do pop it in once in a while to replay the mission "Nightmare", though.

For Sega games I haven't gotten into, I'll say Shinobi (PS2). I got it recently, but only made it through one level because I found it hard to control the camera (left goes right, up goes down, etc.), and there's no way to change it. I should give it another go sometime.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I tried to get into Shemnue but it bored me to tears.

I've also really wanted to get into the Total War Series but it's really overwhelming and the in game tutorial is pants!
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

I'm way late to this thread but. Meh.

Toejam And Earl for me. Absolutely love the art style to it, the funky music, characters, everything about it. But it doesn't "grip" me when I actually attempt to play it. I really need to give it another chance.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Unfortunately its Shemue for me, I tried really hard to get into I + II but I just find it too janky and slow. Didn't even bother giving III a chance once I saw the gameplay sadly.

One of those "I love the characters/world but dislike the games." situation, I have the same issue with Megaman!
voxie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by voxie »

I could say the same about Shenmue 3. Back in my teens, Shenmue 1&2 were so... immersive. I understand why Yu followed the same formula today, but I do wish it felt more "updated" as well.

Currently trying to level up all my move via the side battles and will hopefully meet Lan Di (finally!) soon.
@voxie on Twitter & FB
@voxiegram on Instagram
personal website: voxie.co.uk