Sega Ages for Xbox and Playstation?

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
BenFioren
Level 1
Level 1

Sega Ages for Xbox and Playstation?

Post by BenFioren »

Who else would like to see sega ages games to be available on xbox and ps4?
Personally I feel slightly annoyed with Sega for keeping it to the Switch.
Sure we had yet another megadrive collection, but we miss out on so many other great games. It just seems bizarre to me that xbox and ps4 weren't even considered.

Whats your opinion, are you annoyed by Sega Ages not being on Xbox/PS4?
Or would you want something else entirely?
Nicolaas Hamman
Playlist Manager
Playlist Manager

Post by Nicolaas Hamman »

I imagine SEGA AGES is kept exclusive to NINTENDO SWITCH because the system has a large library of retro games, so it feels more at home on the platform. Retro games aren't as common on PlayStation4 and XBOX ONE.

It's a shame, but I'm not very bothered by it.
Staff for VGMdb
Admin for 140 Seconds VGM
Editor for SEGA RETRO
Owner of SEGA MUSIC EVERYDAY

"If there's something about video game music that Nicolaas Hamman doesn't know, it probably isn't worth knowing" - ResidentSD.
RetroBob
Level 5
Level 5
Preferred pronouns: That bellend

Post by RetroBob »

I'm fine with it, Switch is an incredible system to play old games on, there's loads of old games, loads of compilations and it's portable and has the Flip Grip.
BenFioren
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BenFioren »

Frankly I'm quite jealous of Switch owners. I owned one in the beginning but nothing existed online and I had it I'm sure a year. Eventually sold it to replace my broken ps4.
I don't regret getting a ps4 at all, but darn it I need to buy a switch again.lol
RapidRun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RapidRun »

Actually, Xbox has quite a large library of retro games! The problem seems to stem from Microsoft not making enough of an effort to advertise them unless it’s something big, like Megaman’s collections. Heck; even SEGA’s own Vintage Collection line of game compilations don’t get enough recognition—despite them being the best way to play those games on Xbox 360, One, and (*potentially) Series S/X due to M2 being involved.

(*I don’t own a Series S/X, so I personally can’t say for sure. Maybe TheGreenViper8 can verify this?)

Aside from The Two Blues (SEGA and Megaman), Capcom themselves have a Beat em up bundle and an arcade collection. But since this isn’t the proper thread to discuss the general misunderstanding of a lack of retro games on Xbox, I’ll take that to the general gaming section. See ya there!
TokyoX360
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TokyoX360 »

The Xbox Series X/S is also backwards compatible with all games that have already run on the Xbox ONE.

I don't regret being an Xbox game. Many SEGA pearls are available on the Xbox. Microsoft had officially confirmed that they continue to work on backward compatibility. Maybe one day I'll be able to play Toejam & Earl 3 on my Xbox Series X.

Also have all the Sonic parts that are available on Xbox. Sonic The Hedgehog 1-3 is compatible with Sonic & Knuckles (MEGA DRIVE Games released on Xbox 360 Arcade). you can also play on the Xbox ONE and Series X/S, if they are currently available for purchase. Bought them from the beginning.
CarbonatedMilk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CarbonatedMilk »

The price of an original model might go down after the OLED comes out. It went down in europe.
johnpaul21
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnpaul21 »

Sega Ages for Xbox and Playstation was announced at this year's Tokyo Game Show, and so far no news has been released about the release date other than it being released sometime next year. A few games (Sonic the Hedgehog, Columns, and Fantasy Zone) were confirmed for the initial wave of releases, with more to be announced at a later date. The Sega Ages games will most likely be developed by M2, a company based out of Japan that is well known for their arcade compilations. They are responsible for the Sega AGES 2500 Series Volumes 1-3 and have previously worked with Sega. On September 14, Nintendo announced that they would be partnering with Sega to release a collection of 16 arcade games in February 2016 on the Nintendo eShop. It is uncertain at this time if Sega or Nintendo will release these games outside of Japan. It is hoped by many fans that Sega will bring these games to North America, but that remains to be seen.
Djohnavid021
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Djohnavid021 »

Is Sega Ages coming to Xbox and Playstation? The series includes arcade games as well as home console titles, and was originally launched on the Sega Saturn. Later, the series evolved into Sega Ages 2500, which was re-released for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. Then, in early 2012, the series was expanded with an online service and 19 new titles were released exclusively for the console. One of these new games is Herzog Zwei, a real-time strategy game for the Sega Genesis and Mega Drive.

The price of SEGA Ages for Xbox and Playstation? has been kept low. Each title is just $7.99. This price is the same as what every other company charges for a similarly inferior release. That's actually a pretty good deal, considering the fact that not all games are worth $7.99. SEGA also knows that some titles are more valuable than others, which is why titles like Alex Kidd in Miracle World get deeper discounts than games like Virtua Racing and Out Run.

While the gameplay is more or less identical to the original game, there are some notable differences. The PlayStation version offers a more realistic representation of Sonic's arcade roots, with many of the same gameplay mechanics as the Xbox version. Aside from the console version, there are three other versions of the game available, including an arcade mode for the Xbox and Playstation. However, the PlayStation version has more options.