Sonic Boom 2012

Post here about events relating to SEGA.
Mufasa
Level 2
Level 2

Sonic Boom 2012

Post by Mufasa »

For those curious, here is a some media I took while at Sonic Boom 2012 in San Diego, California today.

Reach For The Stars performed live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atQVXlPdPNw

Pictures
http://photobucket.com/ne1for23_sonicboom2012

The first Sega sponsored event I've ever attended in my life and I'll never forget it. :biggrin:
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

I am soooo curious because I couldn't make it. XD Good for being your first time too! And welcome back to RadioSEGA! :]
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Mufasa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mufasa »

mtwinny wrote:I am soooo curious because I couldn't make it. XD Good for being your first time too! And welcome back to RadioSEGA! :]
Thanks. Yeah I know, "for those curious"... I didn't expect to be starting a Sonic Boom 2012 thread, I thought there would be one already. Well, I guess since this is a UK based form, Summer of Sonic would take center stage. ;) An of course, my attempts to search for an existing thread failed with a solid white screen after submitting my search query. Guess all the bugs haven't been worked out yet. And as for being back, I still am so busy I haven't been on in a while. RadioSEGA still stays on my mind, but sadly I haven't even got around to restoring my lost posts like I wanted to.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Looks like SEGA couldn't answer up to the challenge of Summer of Sonic.... (reference to tweet made at the of SoS)

Sonic Boom will always, as nice as it is, to be missing something that SoS has.
Mufasa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mufasa »

TheChaosBlue wrote:Sonic Boom will always, as nice as it is, to be missing something that SoS has.
Yeah, while writing up my Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and forum posts over this I watched video from SoS and looked at the whole events offerings. Sonic Boom is definitely just a subset of Summer of Sonic. The music performances felt almost identical, but that was about where the similarities ended. I did feel like I got great value though between the free items, performance, food and drink (2 Long Island ice teas).
I don't think the venue, House of Blues, could have handled anything more (size and limited areas). Sega would have needed a convention center and its currently booked and probably the reason why they decided to do it now (people in town for Comic Con International and proximity to the convention center). Without occurring at the same time as Comic Con, I think the attendance would have been near halved. That's not worth having the event in the convention center without a coinciding event. The 21+ area was surprisingly not that crowded despite being as narrow as a hallway. That probably also says something about the ability of people to attend the event being dependent on others...

Either way, Sonic Boom was definitely better than nothing and I'm so happy I finally got to attend an official Sega event. :biggrin:
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Don't get me wrong, Sonic Boom is a great thing for Sonic fans here, it's just that it doesn't provide the fan-interaction as close as SoS does. But damnit I want to go to Sonic Boom so bad. XD

Maybe next year if there is another one to be held SoA can take suggestions from the fans on what to decide.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Have to say, that Chao keyring's pretty nice. Want one of those now, alongside the Sonic Boom t-shirt :(
Mufasa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mufasa »

Gavvie wrote:Have to say, that Chao keyring's pretty nice. Want one of those now, alongside the Sonic Boom t-shirt :(
With as good a value the event was, it would be tempting to get more than one ticket next year to get more free items. They probably nearly sold out, but not that early. I bought my ticket a week before the event.
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

Well, this is it! After seeing that keyring, I've decided that next year I'll be attending SoS or Sonic Boom if not for anything else, for the free swag!
Now's the time for SEGA to announce there will be no more SoS or Sonic Boom events. XD
Mufasa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mufasa »

Sega finally e-mailed out the photo booth photos today from Sonic Boom 2012. Was nice to finally get the only pictures taken of myself at the event. :)

Click the envelope to see the photos taken by the 209 photo booth participants.