Is anyone else a Blu convert?

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Is anyone else a Blu convert?

Post by Rayne »

Ever since getting my new TV I've become a complete Blu Ray maniac. Now a DVD is not good enough for me, if it's not Blu I don't give a damn.

For me I do notice a pretty sharp increase in picture quality, to the point where if I switch back to DVD's I notice that they look grainy and dim.

Is anyone else a convert? or are you not convinced?

How does animated stuff hold up? Do pixar movies or anime actually look any better?
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I think films that have good special effects and animations deserve the high definition treatment, and when a super special awesome film comes out that is shiny, we'll get it on Blu-Ray so that shininess is preserved.

For films that don't really have any particular special effects or animations, then the quality doesn't really matter to me. I wouldn't buy a Blu-Ray version of an older film, for example. By older, I mean films released last decade or so, older classics that get re-mastered except they don't really look shiny.

If that makes sense?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Rayne wrote: How does animated stuff hold up? Do pixar movies or anime actually look any better?
I can vouch for anime, it look gooooooooooooooooooooood in HD. I was not a happy bunny when Manga (the distributor) announced that part 3 of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood would not be released on Blu-ray. It looked gooood on blu-ray.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

@ The Cap'n - That makes sense, something like Avatar is more likely to astound than say, an episode of CSI. Still, even movies with real settings have been quite impressive. Green Zone wasn't terribly huge on explosions and effects and it stood out

@ Kaito - I'm annoyed at the complete lack of series & anime releases thus far. With the storage capacity we should be seeing loads of episodes on fewer discs.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Rayne wrote: @ Kaito - I'm annoyed at the complete lack of series & anime releases thus far. With the storage capacity we should be seeing loads of episodes on fewer discs.
As far as I know the number of anime series released on blu-ray in the UK are Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (Parts 1 & 2 but not 3), Sengoku Basara and Eden of the East. That's three. Mind you, there's just over double the number of anime film releases on blu-ray. As for the "more episodes on less discs" thing, it's doubtful as they're still following the DVD release pattern.
tasmwill

Post by tasmwill »

Well, since I got my PS3 I did not buy anymore DVDs, just Blu-ray. Once you taste Hi-definition, there is no way back!
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

There seems to be a rather large shortage of both Anime & regular TV series releases on Blu Ray.

Anime, that may be because Japan has been painfully slow to uptake HD and because it doesn't get the same benefit that a 'real' picture does?

TV series? Err? Production costs? Greed? Laziness?

It's annoying :/
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

I'm still waiting to see how it all pans out. This and also because I lack a PS3. I seriously am considering going the digital download route instead of buying blue-rays despite the various drawbacks (no more collections on show!) using the likes of Apple TV/Roku. It seems to make more sense to me.
Host of ClubSEGA - A show about the arcade scene and SEGA arcade games.
Wednesday at 8pm UK/WET - 9pm CEST- 3pm EST - 12pm PST
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Rayne wrote:There seems to be a rather large shortage of both Anime & regular TV series releases on Blu Ray.

Anime, that may be because Japan has been painfully slow to uptake HD and because it doesn't get the same benefit that a 'real' picture does?

TV series? Err? Production costs? Greed? Laziness?

Japan's cool with the HD thing when it comes to anime, it's just that there isn't really enough demmand for anime on blu-ray here in the UK for them to justify the production costs.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I'll be honest with you guys, I've never seen a single movie on blu-ray, I do wonder what's the difference but on the other hand, I don't really care.
But I bet it would be awesome two watch a Blu-Ray movie on a 3D TV that would be probably good.