The Music Thread

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

I'm just looking for a site that catalogues them. Like VGMDB but in a bit more detail.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

The post in the video thread made think, is dubstep the "current age" of music?
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

I think it was destined to be, but it's kinda fallen flat. Artists like Skrillex definitely brought it to the forefront, although in my mind there are people who've done it better.

Because he sort of championed it and then kinda became a non-starter, I think people have moved on from it as far as mainstream music goes. You still get the odd awesome song here and there though.

Rockstep..now that's good. It's kinda like dubstep, but you replace the synthy wubs and bass wobbles with guitars, the heavier the better. You do get the odd bassy bit, but for the most part it's a lot more guitar heavy.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Dubstep seems to still be strong around the internet though.
There's a ton of amateur remixes springing on YouTube.

I guess thinking mainstream then it isn't really the current age. Seeing what's in our music chart at the moment.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Yeah, there aren't many great dubstep remixes on YouTube, for the most part they all just sound the same.

I would love for the UK music scene to move away from R'n'B, club music and frigging bubblegum pop though. It feels like artists who are actually half decent don't stand a chance of being successful unless they drop a bassline somewhere. It's a real shame.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Considering the music scene is controlled by screaming fan girls over here...
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Probably why I don't pay too much attention to the charts, if I'm honest. What we need is a good ol' rock revival or something. Doesn't have to last for long, but just long enough to break the stranglehold.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Well, it's the people that get the popularity and always the songs.
Take One Direction. If they made a terrible song, girls would still love them because of how they look and how young they are.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Video killed the radio star.

RE: Dubstep. A fun thing to do is listen to anime op/ed singles and find the dubstep remix! So far I've found 2, one for the No. 6 OP and one for the Mawaru Penguindrum OP (the Penguindrum remix owns).

edit: 3, I just remembered an awesome EVA one. edit: wait actually I don't think that showed up on an official album so nvm.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Reknoc wrote:Video killed the radio star.

RE: Dubstep. A fun thing to do is listen to anime op/ed singles and find the dubstep remix! So far I've found 2, one for the No. 6 OP and one for the Mawaru Penguindrum OP (the Penguindrum remix owns).

edit: 3, I just remembered an awesome EVA one. edit: wait actually I don't think that showed up on an official album so nvm.
There's some on official albums? O.o