The Sonic Discussion and News Thread

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

What would they even do in SA3? Seriously I can't think of much that would do any good for a Sonic Adventure Game.
Gonic wrote:Why do people want an SA3? Literally only 1/3rd of SA2 was okay (excluding the chao garden). Guess people are blinded by nostalgia.
There can be only one Sonic! Metal Sonic is the real Sonic! Long live Metal Sonic!
Metal Sonic is the best! Death to all who oppose Metal Sonic! Metal Sonic rocks!

Jamie64326
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Jamie64326 »

Gonic wrote:Which was? Cause I cant think of much besides the Chao garden. Everything about the 3D sonic games was improved starting with Unleashed.
It'd be a good game to reintroduce the Chao Gardens. Also the adventure fields seemed a lot better in the original SA game.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Jamie64326 wrote:It'd be a good game to reintroduce the Chao Gardens. Also the adventure fields seemed a lot better in the original SA game.
Im all up for a chao garden, I'd honestly think it would work better as a stand alone game. Hub World's were frustrating IMO, I'd rather have a classic sonic act by act type of thing.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Gonic wrote:Which was? Cause I cant think of much besides the Chao garden. Everything about the 3D sonic games was improved starting with Unleashed.
To be fair, the Adventure games brought quite a bit to the field aside form the Chao garden. Sure the games definitely haven't aged well and you could argue a lot of it was bad but it doesn't change the fact that it tried to bring a lot of things into the Sonic franchise which fans appreciated from that era.

For me, for example, it would have been the plots. Sure they were sometimes silly and had plotholes everywhere(What the fuck happened to the moon??) but this was the first and only times in the Sonic franchise where they tried to produce good in-depth plots for the Sonic franchise with not only darker themes but also actual backstory development on some characters like Knuckles and Eggman. After the SA games we never saw plots that developed the Sonic Universe's past. You could argue maybe Unleashed and some smaller ones like Battle but yeah...
Heck honestly, for all the crap the Sonic franchise gets for its Pre-colour games, one thing that they all tried was to have more in-depth darker plots. Sonic and the Black knight in my opinion had probably the best plot in a while where not only was there a good plot twist but there were good reasons for why the villain acted so. Sonic actually talked some real shit in that game. From colours onward though sure the gameplay and everything got refined but I feel like they left something behind that really characterized the sonic fanbase which was a good Story.

Rant aside, I think that's why some still want an "SA3". Good Story. Other reasons are the Sonic Adventure play style which was quite nice. Sonic 06 tried that but it was crap.
And I've actually also seen fans want to once again play as more than just Sonic. It's amusing to see that since the fanbase was always so annoyed at seeing more than just Sonic in a game but now demand more characters.

Edit: Also "Sticks" is supposedly a playable character in SA3 so I'm not believing this shit.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Quills on Wheels wrote:To be fair, the Adventure games brought quite a bit to the field aside form the Chao garden. Sure the games definitely haven't aged well and you could argue a lot of it was bad but it doesn't change the fact that it tried to bring a lot of things into the Sonic franchise which fans appreciated from that era.

For me, for example, it would have been the plots. Sure they were sometimes silly and had plotholes everywhere(What the fuck happened to the moon??) but this was the first and only times in the Sonic franchise where they tried to produce good in-depth plots for the Sonic franchise with not only darker themes but also actual backstory development on some characters like Knuckles and Eggman. After the SA games we never saw plots that developed the Sonic Universe's past. You could argue maybe Unleashed and some smaller ones like Battle but yeah...
Heck honestly, for all the crap the Sonic franchise gets for its Pre-colour games, one thing that they all tried was to have more in-depth darker plots. Sonic and the Black knight in my opinion had probably the best plot in a while where not only was there a good plot twist but there were good reasons for why the villain acted so. Sonic actually talked some real shit in that game. From colours onward though sure the gameplay and everything got refined but I feel like they left something behind that really characterized the sonic fanbase which was a good Story.

Rant aside, I think that's why some still want an "SA3". Good Story. Other reasons are the Sonic Adventure play style which was quite nice. Sonic 06 tried that but it was crap.
And I've actually also seen fans want to once again play as more than just Sonic. It's amusing to see that since the fanbase was always so annoyed at seeing more than just Sonic in a game but now demand more characters.
Edit: Also "Sticks" is supposedly a playable character in SA3 so I'm not believing this shit.
Jamie64326
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Jamie64326 »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Edit: Also "Sticks" is supposedly a playable character in SA3 so I'm not believing this shit.
Sticks is one of the best things that comes from the Boom games. I'd like to see her in the main series.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

See, i think the stories were shite, and I appreciated them a lot more in colours and beyond because it was a simple case of go fuck Eggmans shit up and some of its humor was actually quite funny. I disliked the stories in SA - Unleashed because it was taking itself way to seriously and in reality, imo, it was stupid and full of plot holes. Admitidly I liked the stories when I was younger but going back to them, I realise how dumb i must of been. Each to their own though, i'd rather Sonic stick to its current type of stories.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Gonic wrote:See, i think the stories were shite, and I appreciated them a lot more in colours and beyond because it was a simple case of go fuck Eggmans shit up and some of its humor was actually quite funny. I disliked the stories in SA - Unleashed because it was taking itself way to seriously and in reality, imo, it was stupid and full of plot holes. Admitidly I liked the stories when I was younger but going back to them, I realise how dumb i must of been. Each to their own though, i'd rather Sonic stick to its current type of stories.
Fair enough. I guess the way it comes down to is whether a person can imagine a darker Sonic storyline or not. Afterall, a lot of franchises often get a "dark or serious makeover", whether it's done by fans or the actual creators and I could just see the Sonic series have a darker tone, similar to the Pre-reboot Sonic Archie comics. It's understandable that there are fans like you that can't see Sonic getting serious and can only see him as a cartoon character with simple plot.
But that's why we have SA fans. I think a big part of being a fan is a good thought out story. So that was to answer your original question lol.

On a separate topic, Rejoice ladies and gentlemen. Let the Nostalgia kick in as the man who single handedly made Sprite animation a thing has returned and released the remake of Episode 1 of Super Mario Bros. Z.
[video=youtube;C5-ErbSrTOc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-ErbSrTOc[/video]

While I'm certainly past the age to be squealing at this sort of stuff, I can't deny that it looks very nice. Compared to the original it's a massive animation improvement. I reckon I'll keep following it just for nostalgia sake.
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

Adventure (a retrospective) Foremost I enjoyed the first game from start to finish. Hub worlds were alright, I didn't mind the break to visit other areas, and possibly unlock more goodies along the way. (plus we unlocked everything ourselves, not through DLC) If they could keep that design aesthetic, that would make it worthwhile.

In addition, the boss battles were insane. Or even tackling Robotnik's levels. I could not get enough of SkyDeck tearing through my headphones. (if you ever get the chance, listen to the SA1 OST through some)

SA2 was a different creature, it kept all the same ideas but expanded them tenfold. In fact part 2 took a more streamlined approach. However the OST was all over the place, which made playing any level a fun romp.

Altogether the Adventure series was a milestone in design. There was so much to explore, and the Chao was just addicting. Most of all it was fun, and that's what the series is all about. If we can go back to those roots, so many + things ahead if it works out.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

If the CIA ever want to replace waterboarding to force innocent people to admit they're terrorists they could just have them play the bad guy story in Sonic Adventure 2, that shit was torture.

Anyway, I think I'd welcome a Sonic Adventure 3, just so when it turns out to be awful because a name is meaningless (see: Sonic 4). People beg for it because they think a name will change something and they don't want to admit that, for all intents and purposes Sonic '06 was a spiritual Sonic Adventure 3.

edit: actually fuck that, the SA3 clamouring is awful. Sonic is the strongest it has ever been (Boom aside) and Sonic Team should really focus on building on and improving on what they did with Colours even if it requires a few Lost Worlds along the way.