RadioSEGA Review: Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Read the review and you'll see why the score is so low, he does make good points.
No need to reply to this post.
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

RWDebara wrote:Read the review and you'll see why the score is so low, he does make good points.
No need to reply to this post.
This.

BSF, you don't base a review only on the score. That's like saying, for example, like Super Mario World was the best game ever because I gave it 5/5. It doesn't work that way.
If you read his whole review, you'll notice that he made very good points about SA2. Yes, I was one of those who was eluded that it was the best 3D game until I replayed it. I had the same reaction as Rek, and honestly, didn't care that much anymore about it.

Before you even comment on the score, read the opinions first. That's how Jim Sterling still has his job at Destructoid.

----------------------------------

And I still stand on the Chao Garden being the only good thing about the game.
I live here now!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I read the review and the only thing I heard was awful awful awful. That's not even right.

But why should I boder to complain. Nobody will listen to me and say "Oh, he made some good points on it." WTF? I disagree with mostly everything you said, that was just a review I will never forget.
Reknoc, you truly are a gamer of one kind.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

^Coming from someone who never played the game
Shadid wrote:This.
If you read his whole review, you'll notice that he made very good points about SA2. Yes, I was one of those who was eluded that it was the best 3D game until I replayed it. I had the same reaction as Rek, and honestly, didn't care that much anymore about it.
Same here i remember enjoying it as a kid but when i went back to it i did not have fun at all, i ended up turning it off and i havn't touched it since. I do think they improved the Sonic levels from SA1 but what turned me off was the Knuckles/rouge and tails/robotniks levels. Those levels was just horrible. Especially the Knuckles/Rouge levels.
Shadid wrote:And I still stand on the Chao Garden being the only good thing about the game.
Agreed the Chao Garden was fun. Really enjoyed the lazy and Demonic Chao xD Always found the lazy one on a beach chair sleeping....
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

Biggest sonic fan wrote:I read the review and the only thing I heard was awful awful awful. That's not even right.

But why should I boder to complain. Nobody will listen to me and say "Oh, he made some good points on it." WTF? I disagree with mostly everything you said, that was just a review I will never forget.
Reknoc, you truly are a gamer of one kind.
Well, if you disagree, then show us why you do. Defensive criticism is what makes the discussion go well.

Heck, most of Rek's points, I'd object to them if I didn't play it for a 2nd time. I'd still think the story was okay, I'd still think the gameplay was good (NOTE: it still is, except Robotnik/Tails's and the level design of Knuckles/Rouge's), and I'd still think that it had a good ending. It doesn't. And I even grew up with Sonic.

And I do want to know what's that one kind of gamer you mentioned, if I may ask.
RWDebara wrote:Same here i remember enjoying it as a kid but when i went back to it i did not have fun at all, i ended up turning it off and i havn't touched it since. I do think they improved the Sonic levels from SA1 but what turned me off was the Knuckles/rouge and tails/robotniks levels. Those levels was just horrible. Especially the Knuckles/Rouge levels.
Yes, I can agree that on Sonic/Shadow's level design was okay, the only issue is that it just. THOSE. RAILS. EVERYWHERE. *insert on-rails joke here*

Now Knuckles/Rouge's, it's just the Emerald from SA1. But made even worse.
I live here now!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Shadid wrote:Well, if you disagree, then show us why you do. Defensive criticism is what makes the discussion go well.
Fine. here is goes:
Reknoc wrote:Story is a Sonic story, awful awful awful

So every single Sonic Story is awful? So rescuing animals from robots is awful? So all Sonic games' story is awful?

Second, Not all the music was awful. I loved It doesn't matter. Live and Learn isn't really my taste but it was still a nice song. Escape from the city was very good too. I also really like E.G.G.M.A.N. If that's what you say, for you, every Sonic music is awful.

And what do you mean:
Reknoc wrote:Instead of taking what was good and improving it while fixing or removing what was bad, Sonic Adventure 2 seems to have done entirely the opposite, taken what was bad and making it worse while breaking or removing what made it good. That said at least they did remove the awful hub world rubbish.
Opposite? You kidding me? I am so happy there were no more Big Stages with those irretating fishing levels. Sometimes it took me hours to complete. And than awful hub world? The hub world was so fun in SA1. maybe in Sonic 06 it wasn't because sonic was slow and all that but it is so fun to run with Sonic in fast speed knowing that no enemy or rings or opsticles will be there to make you stop. To tell you the truph, I really enjoyed the Gamma Stages. Sure you can't run as fast as Sonic but it was so fun shooting everything in your way and not caring about anything else. The only thing was the time which was removed in SA2 which makes the stages even more fun, and that's my opinion.
The only thing might have been the Rouge/knuckles stages that might have been boring but I still disagree with you saying the Tail/Eggman stages were bad.

Shadid wrote:And I do want to know what's that one kind of gamer you mentioned, if I may ask.
I can't really discribe it but a good and the only example would be Reknoc. He is just soo... different.

One day, I promise you, One day, I will get Sonic Adventure 2 and will finish it. Than I will return to this exact tread and write how wrong you are and what an awesome game it is. Heck, I might even make my own review out of it. :P
But I still mostly disagree with what you said. Maybe it's because I am only 13 and will understand if I grow up but I don't think that's the case and I think that you are very wrong. You just dislike Sonic reknoc and saying that, I realised that I never saw you saying a Sonic game was great and whenever we talked about a Sonic game, you said it was rubbish.

Here, I'm done. Now come and say how wrong I am...
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

Alright, let's stop the name calling and cut to the chase! First off a review is basically a person's take on a game/movie/etc giving all the pros and cons and then coming to a logical conclusion to the game with select bits of opinion and commentary in there to mix. It's more of a objective AND opinion piece. I applaud you for speaking out your opinion on this game, Reknoc and if you don't like it, you don't like it.

But I'm with CapnCloudchaser. This is personally my favorite Sonic title because of, really, let's just say I disagree with you completely on this with the exception of the Chao Gardens and some of Rouge's stages. The optional Kart Racing extra wasn't that great either but it's extra so it's not worth bogging the score down for that.
CapnCloudchaser wrote:If a game has really game breaking bugs that actively work against you or stop you from playing, like Sonic 06, then it is a bad game. I never had any problems with SA1/2 in that regard.
There were a few annoying glitches in the first Sonic Adventure. Wasn't there a wall glitch in Sonic's first level where Sonic can go through a wall while at full speed if he hits it just right? You lose a life by doing that. I try to veer him away from the wall using the D-pad whenever I get to that point so I don't die stupidly.

There's only two other glitches in Sonic titles I find more annoying than that one. Both of them in Sonic 06's Kingdom Valley. One with Shadow (Rouge actually) and one with Silver.

I just remembered another one at the end of Sonic's first stage of 06 but I don't know if it's a glitch or intentional...
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

This is more of a general look at recent Sonic games.

Personally I wouldn't give this game a 1/5..I'd give a 2 at least. But having that said, I pretty much agree with everything that was said in the review as well. I haven't played Sonic 06, and from what I've seen of it I don't want to, but I can definitely say that this is one of the least enjoyable Sonic games I've ever played. I liked Sonic Adventure 1 alot, but Adventure 2 to me was just a disappointment. Sonic and Shadow's levels were the ONLY ones that were fun and they were a minority. Looking for pieces of emerald with Knuckles while listening to Vanilla Ice style cheesy Rap is about as fun as looking for a screw that you dropped on the ground.

Some would disagree with me but I actually enjoyed Sonic Heroes a HELL of alot more than both Sonic Adventure games too. Adventure 1 is still pretty good though. And for the record, I didn't like Sonic Rush at all. The boss fights were all pretty much the same, and the level design was garbage because you had no idea when or where you were going to fall in a hole. I'm sorry but a Sonic game SHOULD NOT BE in a vertical aspect ratios. You can't see what's going on or coming up ahead for shit. Leave that to the vertical shmups like Ikaruga. That may be a 2D Sonic game but it very much proved that doesn't make it good.. I do love the Sonic Advance games though. Those were excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

*sips tea* ahhh now then.
Biggest sonic fan wrote:Fine. here is goes:

So every single Sonic Story is awful? So rescuing animals from robots is awful? So all Sonic games' story is awful?
Okay to be fair I should have been more clear about this, it's hard to class Sonic 1-3's storys as Sonic Storys as they're more Typical Platformer Storys You'd Never Know If You Didn't Look At The Manual. But Sonic Adventure is kinda where "Sonic Story" starts in the games (I guess SatAM would be earlier and maybe even the comics) in which the awful plot is told in the game with cutscenes.
Biggest sonic fan wrote:Second, Not all the music was awful. I loved It doesn't matter. Live and Learn isn't really my taste but it was still a nice song. Escape from the city was very good too. I also really like E.G.G.M.A.N. If that's what you say, for you, every Sonic music is awful.
Again I repeat; Terrible yank buttrock doesn't do it for me.
Biggest sonic fan wrote:And what do you mean:
Opposite? You kidding me? I am so happy there were no more Big Stages with those irretating fishing levels. Sometimes it took me hours to complete. And than awful hub world? The hub world was so fun in SA1. maybe in Sonic 06 it wasn't because sonic was slow and all that but it is so fun to run with Sonic in fast speed knowing that no enemy or rings or opsticles will be there to make you stop. To tell you the truph, I really enjoyed the Gamma Stages. Sure you can't run as fast as Sonic but it was so fun shooting everything in your way and not caring about anything else. The only thing was the time which was removed in SA2 which makes the stages even more fun, and that's my opinion.
The only thing might have been the Rouge/knuckles stages that might have been boring but I still disagree with you saying the Tail/Eggman stages were bad.
I think what I mean is pretty obvious, it's hard to take any of this seriously when I know you haven't played the game yet.

Also the fishing in Big's stages was at least decently made and the section itself was only a few levels long. Personally I enjoyed it and even if I didn't I didn't have to do it to play more Sonic levels so no massive loss.
Biggest sonic fan wrote:I can't really discribe it but a good and the only example would be Reknoc. He is just soo... different.
Thanks.
Biggest sonic fan wrote:One day, I promise you, One day, I will get Sonic Adventure 2 and will finish it. Than I will return to this exact tread and write how wrong you are and what an awesome game it is. Heck, I might even make my own review out of it. :P
But I still mostly disagree with what you said. Maybe it's because I am only 13 and will understand if I grow up but I don't think that's the case and I think that you are very wrong. You just dislike Sonic reknoc and saying that, I realised that I never saw you saying a Sonic game was great and whenever we talked about a Sonic game, you said it was rubbish.

Here, I'm done. Now come and say how wrong I am...
Hah. Well not playing it clearly isn't stopping you.
Wrath Oskvro wrote:This is more of a general look at recent Sonic games.

Personally I wouldn't give this game a 1/5..I'd give a 2 at least.
Had I not seperated Chao Garden from it I'd probably have given it a 2 aswell.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Wrath Oskvro wrote: I like looking for a screw that I dropped on the ground. :P
Reknoc wrote:Hah. Well not playing it clearly isn't stopping you.
You kidding me? Nothing can stop me from what I believe in. I am even willing to one day buy Sonic 06 and give it a try. I'm sure it's not as bad as people say it is...
10 years later...
OK I GIVE UP. SONIC 06 IS HORRIBLE! I HATE IT!

Just joking. I'm willing to give 06 a try and it's probably not that bad.