The TV Thread

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I really loved Dexter for the first few seasons but then it got American TV'd and ran into the ground. American TV really seems like the worst place for good series, either it gets good views and gets ran into the ground, or it gets bad views and cancelled before anything ever gets explained.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Reknoc wrote:I really loved Dexter for the first few seasons but then it got American TV'd and ran into the ground. American TV really seems like the worst place for good series, either it gets good views and gets ran into the ground, or it gets bad views and cancelled before anything ever gets explained.
You mean overseas TV series coming to American TV's? Or American adaptions of overseas shows? Sounds like a wide generalization being made. I do agree that American TV tends to ruin very popular overseas programming if done wrong.
Pitchshift3r
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Pitchshift3r »

Reknoc wrote:I really loved Dexter for the first few seasons but then it got American TV'd and ran into the ground. American TV really seems like the worst place for good series, either it gets good views and gets ran into the ground, or it gets bad views and cancelled before anything ever gets explained.
I've just started Season 3. I'm still enjoying it, but I have heard it gets a bit too weak later on.
PSN ID - Prime3k
------------------------------
Twitter - @Prime3k
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

TheChaosBlue wrote:You mean overseas TV series coming to American TV's? Or American adaptions of overseas shows? Sounds like a wide generalization being made. I do agree that American TV tends to ruin very popular overseas programming if done wrong.
I think Rek means original American made TV series.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Kaito-kun wrote:I think Rek means original American made TV series.
AKA: 90% of all U.S. reality shows (which is pretty much American TV now and it's pathetic).

And please name a few of those series if you all can. I would love to know which ones that falls under that umbrella.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

To be honest, I find British TV interesting....always wanted to know how shows over in the UK are from ones here in America.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

I gotta say, I do like a couple American channels alot. Discovery Channel, A&E, and History Channel. Occasionally the Weather Channel if there's a decent documentary on. To be specific why I like these channels, I actually really dig stuff like Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, etc because I love reselling myself and I find them to be pretty interesting. And of course there's Mythbusters too. I also liked Brainiac when it was on TV here. (I know, Brainiac is British.)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Yeah, Educational channels like the Discovery and History channel are cool.
TheChaosBlue wrote:AKA: 90% of all U.S. reality shows (which is pretty much American TV now and it's pathetic).

And please name a few of those series if you all can. I would love to know which ones that falls under that umbrella.
US TV yes. Recently there has been things like Alcatraz, Terrnova, Flashforward. And on the other side you have CSI, House, Dexter, Lost, Heroes. Now, I'm not saying those former series were good, this isn't about quality, but it sort of points out that, if you want to tell a story through television in America you may as well just go fuck yourself.

Though in terms of quality Deadwood was cancelled, so yea, fuck US TV.

Edit: Another show that got cancelled recently was Luck, but that was due to them killing horses or whatever.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Wow, it like saying UK TV is better, but I'm sure it has its flaws too.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Well the US has a much bigger budget. Like, Merlin looks like a Syfy original compared to even a low budget show in the US. I think Primeval was advertised as a sort of UK attempt at a US level show, but it ended up just being embarrassing.

I mean, I personally enjoy UK TV more, especially the comedy shows, but that's all subjective.

edit: I will say this; I think the BBC make the best documentaries around. Mostly thanks to Attenborough narrating them all.