Megadrive/Genesis knock off consoles

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
santefering
Level 5
Level 5

Megadrive/Genesis knock off consoles

Post by santefering »

I have played one knock off portable megadrive made by ATgames but have seen sooooo many console versions, some that even take megadrive cartridges.
What I'd like to know is the best to worst. I want to buy one and was wondering if any are just as good as the megadrive itself.
Thanks
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

I've been considering getting a RetroN 5 recently to clear up space my games room a bit. Plays a ton of old console games and uses the original controllers which I quite like. I have heard that it doesn't work all the time which has put me off the (now) expensive asking price.
Host of ClubSEGA - A show about the arcade scene and SEGA arcade games.
Wednesday at 8pm UK/WET - 9pm CEST- 3pm EST - 12pm PST
santefering
Level 5
Level 5

Post by santefering »

i need fruit wrote:I've been considering getting a RetroN 5 recently to clear up space my games room a bit. Plays a ton of old console games and uses the original controllers which I quite like. I have heard that it doesn't work all the time which has put me off the (now) expensive asking price.
Do you know if the retron5 has a problem emulating the megadrive sound? I've heard many knock offs don't emulate the sound properly
supersega
Level 6
Level 6

Post by supersega »

Nothing better than the actual system! Most of those ones out there are single-chip designs which sound and look really crappy. I own a Genesis 2, 1 and an X'Eye, and out of all of them, I'd suggest the X'Eye if you want best sound and video quality. JVC really put some time and work into them!
Collection; Neo Geo CD, JVC X'Eye, Model 1 Genesis, Model 2 Genesis, 2 Japanese Saturns, 2 Game Gears in a few thousand pieces, 5 or 8 PS1s (don't judge), 1 PS1 DTL (TOOL, NOT a Yaroze), 1 Gamecube, 1 Wii, 1 Xbox 360, 2 Gameboy Advances, 1 3DS, 1 PS2 TEST that WORKS!!!

Do I have a console addiction?
santefering
Level 5
Level 5

Post by santefering »

supersega wrote:Nothing better than the actual system! Most of those ones out there are single-chip designs which sound and look really crappy. I own a Genesis 2, 1 and an X'Eye, and out of all of them, I'd suggest the X'Eye if you want best sound and video quality. JVC really put some time and work into them!
Thanks ��
santefering
Level 5
Level 5

Post by santefering »

supersega wrote:Nothing better than the actual system! Most of those ones out there are single-chip designs which sound and look really crappy. I own a Genesis 2, 1 and an X'Eye, and out of all of them, I'd suggest the X'Eye if you want best sound and video quality. JVC really put some time and work into them!
That was meant to be a smiley face by the way, not a question mark.lol
ChumChum7422
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChumChum7422 »

Santefering, I actually have a portable Genesis that I got as a gift for Christmas, and a friend of mine got the same exact thing, only its a Plug N Play, The sound is off-key on the console as with the portable. I've heard that certain games aren't compatible with the AtGames (Virtua Racing, for example, There was another one which used a bug in the Genesis' hardware, and the Atgames got rid of the bug, I am not sure which game it was, I will get back on that) But in a nutshell, the AtGames is pretty much a cheaper Genesis 3, I would just either spring the extra money for a real Model1/2 Genesis/MegaDrive. The Portable on the other side, I like it because mine has a great Battery Life and a SD Slot so you can play your own games. :)
Markiegee50X
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Markiegee50X »

How about the plug & play genesis by ATGames I have one but broke :sadgoodbye:
Markiegee50X Network (RadioSEGA fan since 2011) 🎮🙂🍧

supersega
Level 6
Level 6

Post by supersega »

Markiegee50X wrote:How about the plug & play genesis by ATGames I have one but broke :sadgoodbye:
Yup. Point is that it broke, lol. Also, thats a single chip design with lackluster sound/video quality.
Collection; Neo Geo CD, JVC X'Eye, Model 1 Genesis, Model 2 Genesis, 2 Japanese Saturns, 2 Game Gears in a few thousand pieces, 5 or 8 PS1s (don't judge), 1 PS1 DTL (TOOL, NOT a Yaroze), 1 Gamecube, 1 Wii, 1 Xbox 360, 2 Gameboy Advances, 1 3DS, 1 PS2 TEST that WORKS!!!

Do I have a console addiction?
ChumChum7422
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChumChum7422 »

The Plug N Play and portable are exactly the same system pretty much, Like I listed before, Off Key Sound, Incompatibility with certain games (Virtua Racing) , I also forgot to mention that Save based games (Sonic 3, Phantasy Star series, Shining series, etc.) will not save, so you have to take that into account, the emulation for the most part is 4/5, that part honestly depends on what game you are playing using the SD card slot on portable or cartridge slot on Plug N Play (For Example, I tried out ToeJam and Earl on my portable, and some sprite glitches on the bottom of screen, like the enemies/present overlapping onto the health/ranking part of the screen) If you are just starting to get into Genesis stuff I would recommend them, make sure to get a real genesis controller from a retro game store or online. But I would just get a real Genesis in all honesty, but I would get the handheld, if you want a portable Genesis experience.