Gaming Project, please help

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
IvyRave
Level 10
Level 10

Gaming Project, please help

Post by IvyRave »

I need your help. As past of my A2 Media Studies project I have to ask for other people’s opinions on what I have planned.
My project is on a video game with a USP of introducing the younger generations to the games that the older generations would have recognised (i.e. Retro style).
The game is targeted at the younger generation of gamers with an age of 3+
The main plot is about a sock puppet called Rhett who gets kidnapped and held at a toy store (a toy story 2 esque scenario) and he must fight his way out to get home.
Here’s where I need your opinions
Would it be more suited to an RPG style or Platforming style?
I have idea of the name, but which is better Escape from the Toy Store or Rhett’s Adventure.
As part of the project I am doing

• a commercial
  • 2 sponsorship ads
  • a Radio ad

Can you think of any better alternatives?
Here’s a link to my blog so far, please let me know if there if there is any improvements I need to make
I need answers ASAP
Thanks
Am back for now:P
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

What is retro about it? Because the 'retro style' these days just seems to be crap graphics and 80s/90s pop culture references.

It should have proper old school conventions, like an arcade style difficulty that sends you back to the start of the game at the slightest mistake, I don;t care if they're kids they need to learn. And a badass premise. Effeminate themes are a recent phenomenon attributable to goons like thatgamecompany and the droog who made cave story remember. Back in the day every game was trying to be as cool as possible, not as hipster as possible.

It should also have cheat codes.
Tic Tac, sir?
IvyRave
Level 10
Level 10

Post by IvyRave »

Killer French Bread wrote:What is retro about it? Because the 'retro style' these days just seems to be crap graphics and 80s/90s pop culture references.

It should have proper old school conventions, like an arcade style difficulty that sends you back to the start of the game at the slightest mistake, I don;t care if they're kids they need to learn. And a badass premise. Effeminate themes are a recent phenomenon attributable to goons like thatgamecompany and the droog who made cave story remember. Back in the day every game was trying to be as cool as possible, not as hipster as possible.

It should also have cheat codes.
I do not have time to build the game. I am restricted to what I listed above just ads.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Then I don;t understand what's happening here.
Tic Tac, sir?
IvyRave
Level 10
Level 10

Post by IvyRave »

Look I need to create 4 ads, one for radio, two for tv and 2 for sponsorship ads. It's part of a marketing plan, not for the actual building of the game. It's part of a media studies project which is focused on Marketing only.
As part of the specifications I need to create 1 ad for TV, 2 sponsorship ads for Saturday morning Kids TV and a radio commercial.
As part of the examination I need to include other people's opinions on the adverts and how the product should be marketed (for some incredibly stupid reason).
All I need an answer for is the name of the product and whether the game idea will be marketed as an RPG or a platform.
To be honest I was only informed of this a week ago and there have been constant camera problems so I am very frustrated at the moment, especially as they haven't even bothered to tell us when the actual deadline is, it's not your fault but I need an answer very quickly.
If you're still confused click on this link, it should explain everything
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

baffled
Tic Tac, sir?
IvyRave
Level 10
Level 10

Post by IvyRave »

have you clicked on the link?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

So essentially it's a project on a video game you're making, you're just not designing one per-se.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Okay the ads should be in social media so it sounds like you are thinking ahead, plus kids don't listen to radio that's madness. Should make some flash game version and put it as adware on facebook aps or give it away with cereal or something.
Tic Tac, sir?
IvyRave
Level 10
Level 10

Post by IvyRave »

TheChaosBlue wrote:So essentially it's a project on a video game you're making, you're just not designing one per-se.
Yes, I have to create a radio ad as that was the only option I could do.