Movie chat

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

The funny thing about TMNT is that Michael Bay was just a producer on it, so whilst he would've had a say in how things went, unlike Transformers a lot of things wouldn't have been done with his final approval.

I mean, he was a producer on The Purge and its sequel, as well as the recent remakes of Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th, and none of those got massive amounts of hate (they're not the best films in the world, sure, but roll with me on this...).

I think a lot of the haters really came on board after the second Transformers movie, which was utterly terrible. Quite how Paramount were able to not only go ahead with the third movie but also keep Bay on is beyond me, as the second film was a racist, broken mess. The first Transformers film wasn't that bad, and nor was the third or fourth (they are both far too long, though). I see them as a good popcorn summer film - script is unimportant, I just want to see robots smack the shit out of each other. Same thing with TMNT, though storyline is going to be just that little bit more important because you want to see the turtles playing off of each others personalities.

In fact, Transformers is one of the main reasons why I don't take critics reviews in mind when going to watch films anymore. I've liked films they hated, and hated films they liked (hi Avatar!).
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

The Purge was a terrible film. I wasted 1hr 30mins of my life watching that.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

The beginning of Transformers was so offensively bad it made the film the first one I've ever given up on watching part way through.
sonicyoda
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sonicyoda »

Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy on Monday. Loved it loved it loved it loved it loved it. Marvel Studios just keep knocking em out the park.
www.segadriven.com
Give me the cyber razor cut.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Follow on Twitter: @segadriven
Like on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/segadriven
Chukapi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Chukapi »

sonicyoda wrote:Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy on Monday. Loved it loved it loved it loved it loved it. Marvel Studios just keep knocking em out the park.

Agreed! I saw it for a second time on Monday and although the jokes didn't get me laughing as hard as the first time around (which is to be expected) I still loved watching it just as much as the first time. It's the characters that do it for me; they're all very likeable and relatable in their own ways. The actors have great chemistry too and the whole film just has this very strange but fantastic organic feel to it. The actors genuinely feel like they're interacting with one another and not just reading from a script for their big fat paycheck. Also, the environments are absolutely fantastic, and that's coming from someone who's not usually that big into Sci Fi!
Atrias
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Atrias »

I just saw a poster for Sin City 2... having loved the first film I am disgusted with myself that I am only finding out about this now but to be honest it also helps as I am very excited and hyped up probably more so than if I'd monitored its development! Anyone else into a bit of gory film noire?

Also, heard so many bad things about the new Transformers film I'm not even going to bother... the first 2 Michael Bay Transformers films were the best even if they weren't amazing!
Faster than the speed of sound, sneaker wearing, chilli dog eating hedgehog with a penchant for industrial scale vandalism, animal activism and jewellery theft. Seems legit.

Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Atrias wrote:
Also, heard so many bad things about the new Transformers film I'm not even going to bother... the first 2 Michael Bay Transformers films were the best even if they weren't amazing!
And that, my friends, is what a Cash Cow Franchise is all about. As long as it keeps printing money and the people shell out that money, more will be made.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

The first Sin City is one of my favourite films eva. Trailer for the sequel didn't get me pumped up for it, but the trailer for the original didn't do it justice either so I'll go in with an open mind.
Tic Tac, sir?
Atrias
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Atrias »

KFB, I've read some great things about it in the vein of "If you liked the first one you'll like this", so I hope you do enjoy it when you get the chance to see it... Apparently the actress who played Miho in the first film was pregnant during filming though so they got a different actress in, which is sad because she was hawt!! :P

Hah, and Twinny, you are so right about cash cow franchises! The one that really gets me is the Spiderman franchise, I mean literally they had the "Amazing Spiderman..." reboot showing HOW soon after Maguire's Spidey 3??

Given that I loved that trilogy including Maguire and the ever lovely Kirsten Dunst I was positively offended to see a replacement and a reboot so soon, and still haven't seen either of the two new films. Anyone want to give me some reasons to watch these? :P
Faster than the speed of sound, sneaker wearing, chilli dog eating hedgehog with a penchant for industrial scale vandalism, animal activism and jewellery theft. Seems legit.

Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

I saw Into the Storm tonight at the movie theater. Wasn't into seeing Guardians of the Galaxy tho. My interest in the latter wasn't enough to go see it after a few weeks.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010