Anime & Manga Discussion

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Quills on Wheels wrote:I've been following One Punch man as well if anyone else has heard about it. I like it, I really do. But something about it doesn't tickle me in the right place. Maybe its because the main characters gets less screen time than some of the other side characters. Like I get it, it's a parody and I totally get it and love every joke they throw at it. But parody or not, I would have loved seeing some more character development on the main character.
Also for a show that prides itself at making fun of common anime/superhero stereotypes, the main character's personality is as generic as ever. Once again we have another overpowered character who is dumb as f*ck.
That's part of the overall point really.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

TheChaosBlue wrote:That's part of the overall point really.
Yeah this is something I have trouble with when it comes to Parody anime. There comes a point where I don't know if something's done on purpose as a joke or if it's a problem like any other anime. But like I said, on purpose or not, a problem is a problem. You can't produce shit and say oh this is shit on purpose and expect it to work. Not that OPM is shit but like I said, I'd loved a more interesting character.

There's some parts of the parody I really like and laugh at. Like how every character has some full on backstory while Saitama's is just some random guy. That's parodying done right. Not blatantly redoing the same character personality every other show does.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I see your point, and yeah it does get annoying. So that's a little pet peeve of mine too. With that said, I focus way more on the overall anime enough to not let it get to me while watching.
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

I've been meaning to check out One Punch Man. I actually saw a review for it in Otaku USA just today. Is it really that bad?
Quills on Wheels wrote:I've been following One Punch man as well if anyone else has heard about it. I like it, I really do. But something about it doesn't tickle me in the right place. Maybe its because the main characters gets less screen time than some of the other side characters. Like I get it, it's a parody and I totally get it and love every joke they throw at it. But parody or not, I would have loved seeing some more character development on the main character.
Also for a show that prides itself at making fun of common anime/superhero stereotypes, the main character's personality is as generic as ever. Once again we have another overpowered character who is dumb as f*ck.
There can be only one Sonic! Metal Sonic is the real Sonic! Long live Metal Sonic!
Metal Sonic is the best! Death to all who oppose Metal Sonic! Metal Sonic rocks!

Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Alpha Dog 1996 wrote:I've been meaning to check out One Punch Man. I actually saw a review for it in Otaku USA just today. Is it really that bad?
Nah it's fine. I'm just nit picky because I follow too many critics and CinemaSins. That said it's not the best thing I've seen and there was definately some missed potential for improvement but give it a watch you'll probably like it.
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

Ah ok. I'll try to check it out at some point.
Quills on Wheels wrote:Nah it's fine. I'm just nit picky because I follow too many critics and CinemaSins. That said it's not the best thing I've seen and there was definately some missed potential for improvement but give it a watch you'll probably like it.
There can be only one Sonic! Metal Sonic is the real Sonic! Long live Metal Sonic!
Metal Sonic is the best! Death to all who oppose Metal Sonic! Metal Sonic rocks!

Jamie64326
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Jamie64326 »

So I was at my local HMV just browsing their anime section and saw the following to check out.

The Comic Artist and his Assistants
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Squid Girl
A Certain Magical Index
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Eden of the East

Has anyone seen any of these?
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

I've heard both Jojo and Madoka Magica are really good. Haven't seen either one though.

I'm still watching RWBY. I like it. Highly recommend it. Don't let the seemingly bad animation push you away.
Jamie64326
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Jamie64326 »

Quills on Wheels wrote:I've heard both Jojo and Madoka Magica are really good. Haven't seen either one though.
Shame. I'll check them out sometime though.
Quills on Wheels wrote:I'm still watching RWBY. I like it. Highly recommend it. Don't let the seemingly bad animation push you away.

Is that really an anime though? I thought for something to be classed as anime, it had to be done in or incorporated with some Japanese studio. RWBY was done in the US.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Jamie64326 wrote: Is that really an anime though? I thought for something to be classed as anime, it had to be done in or incorporated with some Japanese studio. RWBY was done in the US.
Yeah there's always been the argument of whether RWBY can be considered an anime or not. But generally most people seem to agree that it's not an anime but is heavily influenced by it. You'll have times where characters pull anime faces or whatever but you can certainly feel the "western-ness" of it all which is great! It has just the right amount of both Anime and Western cartoons. Often when I watch anime, I don't get some things and get alienated because of the difference in culture but RWBY doesn't have that issue and therefore feels right at home.

But yeah, animation keeps on improving every season (currently on season 3), story and the world is very interesting, voice acting is very well done and the music is glorious too. It also probably has one of the biggest character rosters where I've actually liked every character and found them unique.

It's been popular enough to get its own game on Steam and is also getting Japanese dubbed and distributed by WB Japan. A Manga adaptation is also in the works with the first chapter already out. Only sad thing is that the creator is no longer with us to see the success of his work... RIP.