Books!

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Reknoc wrote:But surely all TVTropes is going to do is spoil stuff.

Perhaps, but like I said, that's how I go about it. Mainly I read the beginning summary and nothing more.

Now, enough TV Tropes talk ...it's BOOK TIME. Anywho...anyone read some of Joe Hill's work? If so, recommendations?
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Okay books...I've read tons recently so...

Books I've finished.
Brisinger(book 3 of eragon quadtrilgy) I was quite put off this book due to eldest being a useless read and adding nothing to the story but one thing at the end. But thankfully bringer was an enjoyable read. I got pissed off with each chapter being based on a different character, esspically since the previous chapter something very interesting happened. I know it's to keep you reading but changing characters between chapters annoys me.

Mogworld (Yahtzze Crowshaw) very geeky and Terry pratchet like. Give it a read :D

Currently reading Ready Player One which is about the world being in a horrible state and most of the worlds population now live there daily lives in a game called OASIS. There is also a contest going on that no one has been able to solve the first clue for 5 years. I've found it hard to put this book dOwn.

And finally in the future I'm gonna read the hunger games trilogy as it sounds quote unique.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Sorry for double posting.

I highly recommend people to read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. At first i thought that the story was going to be exactly like Battle Royale as the setting is sort of similar. But i was wrong. It was a very enjoyable read and i couldn't bring myself to put the book down.
CasualJohn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CasualJohn »

Gonic wrote:
Currently reading Ready Player One which is about the world being in a horrible state and most of the worlds population now live there daily lives in a game called OASIS. There is also a contest going on that no one has been able to solve the first clue for 5 years. I've found it hard to put this book dOwn.

This book is SO good. It was one of first books in a number of years that I read from start to finish in one sitting. I highly recommend it to anyone who is a gamer and or likes popular culture stuff, or dystopian or science fiction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifXryyx4erU

^ to the books trailer, as that is a trending thing for authors to do now...

There are a couple reviews by the author, but I dont know if they have spoilers on them or not.

Another book I would recommend that I finished is Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. A Japanese surrealism/magical realism author, his novels reside comfortably in the uncanny valley at times. Often referencing classical and modern literature in addition to theoretical concepts, he books are both compelling and challenging. He has published a number of books and, odds are, available at your local library I would imagine.

Another book that is short, and fun, is The Drive-in by Joe Lansdale. Might be harder to come by.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I've started re-reading the Kane Chronicles.
I forgot the story, so I can't read the second book. Gotta read the first book again.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

I recently downloaded Grilled Ninjas With Cheese from the Kindle market..just because the title is awesome. I've read a little bit of it so far, and the section I'm on now is talking about someone making a grilled cheese with Virgin Mary's face on it that sold on ebay for $28,000. XD It's a satire. The guy relates how stupid people are from that situation to the fact that he keeps getting mysterious cuts on him. And as sarcasm, he calls it Ninjitis..a case where a ninja follows you around and cuts you when you're not looking.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Started reading Young Bond. Not sure what to think of it at the moment.

Kinda feels like Alex Rider. Hope it's more like Cherub.
melody_of_fate154
Level 3
Level 3

Post by melody_of_fate154 »

Ah books the good times, I am a bookworm. I have read a lot of books I like the classics you know? Pride and Prejudice and the hobbit which is coming out in the winter I am so excited! i can't wait for december, I read the Trille trilogy its really awesome I read it in two days no lie. I recomend it, I believe its by Amanda Hocking (i can't remember the spelling of the last name) Anyone heard of Cassandra clare? she is amazing!
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

I recommend anything from Jasper Fforde for sure!

Love Shades of Grey (not Fifty Shades), as it's something I have wanted to read in a long time, but I do like Thursday Next (his main series) and The Last Dragonslayer too.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Since I've started working and it's a fair trek away (about an hour and a half on 2 buses) I've had chance to get through a couple of books that I've had on my backlog:

Game of Thrones
Yea it's great.

Metro 2033
Really interesting setting. The main character is a bit of an idiot though and not incredibly likable. The book is also really awkwardly translated which could make it hard to read at times.

The Witcher: Blood of Elves
Good, I think I enjoyed the short story collection more (The Last Wish) since it had more moments of Geralt just being a boss. At least the translation was good. Shame it's part of a series and the 2nd books English release date keeps getting pushed back.

At the moment I've started Battle Royale which I've had for an age but never got around to reading. Haven't really been reading it much though, kinda end up just cocking around on my phone.