Do any British channels show Anime?

What it says on the tin...
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Do any British channels show Anime?

Post by richarddavies »

I was just thinking, I know about the kids channels that show all the obvious shite like Pokemon and Backugan but are there any channels on Sky or terrestrial telly that show any anime? I mean at all? I remember Anime network the other year but the channel died on it's arse which was a shame. I just find it strange that the market for anime on tv is non existant in the uk. For the American members does Anime get shown in the states much at all?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Nope. Anime Central didn't do very well so it's no surprise really. Don't think it's much better in America either except for like, Naruto.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

I just think it's a shame none are shown. When I was younger loads of shows was put on the sci fi channel so I used to record them all. It's so strange that there seems to be alot of people and sites deicated to the genre that are have british members but when it is actually shown on telly noone watches it. I used to love watchin Bleach and Cowboy Bebop on Anime central (now that I think about that channel though it used to repeat the same shows incessently).
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I remember the odd film, like Akira and Princess Mononoke used to be on Channel 4 really late, or something, but not for a long time. Cartoon Network was good for some Animé; I think they showed a few episodes of Trigun once, which inspired me to go and buy the whole series on DVD, but I wouldn't be able to watch any of that on free view these days.

It is a shame that it's not on mainstream TV, yet it continues to get a British audience anyway, thanks to the Internet.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I guess more people just prefer to own the fansubs DVDs.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

The anime market in the UK is an odd one. It's there, but the majority is either too impatient or too cheap to actually wait for releases or buy the DVDs. Hell, some people I know get ticked off if they have to wait more than a week for their pirated fansubbed version. As a result DVDs don't sell and because of it networks won't bother buying the rights to air it if they think no-one will watch it. If no-one watches it then advertisers won't want to buy slots during the broadcast and as a result it's a financial loss.

To be fair though, I don't think a dedicated anime channel would be a good idea in the first place, it's too broad a medium: It would be better to buy in certain genre of anime for genre dedicated channels, such as sci-fi series' on sci-fi channels, kids series on kids channels etc.

Another thing to remember is that in Japan, aside from the really big shows and series aimed at kids, most anime is show very late at night.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

And it'd have to be dubbed which will make most fans throw a fit.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Reknoc wrote:And it'd have to be dubbed which will make most fans throw a fit.
Ahhh, of course. Being one of the handful of people that doesn't mind it when a series is dubbed I had completely forgotten about that.
mazonemayu
Level 9
Level 9

Post by mazonemayu »

honestly I don't want/need western dvds of anime, the stuff's usually censored or even cut
hate to admit it but I've been watching anime since the late 70's early 80's & I own some stuff on dvd, but even those are crappy subbed hnkdvds for the sole reason that they at least are uncut for the rest I've simply been downloading the stuff for...well almost a decade now.

I was lucky that in the 80's a lot of anime was shown on tv in europe; seem to have all dried up now. on the other hand, why wait. I've "worked" for L-E fansubs a long time ago & know for a fact that (most) fansubs are better translated than the actual dvds released in the west.

waiting for dvds is good when you're a mainstream (read: pokemon/ naruto) fanboy, but most of the time the half decent or even good anime simply doesn't get here.

this off course is just my opinion
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Kaito-kun wrote:Ahhh, of course. Being one of the handful of people that doesn't mind it when a series is dubbed I had completely forgotten about that.
Sometimes I prefer watching it dubbed.