Worst Games in the World - The Review Log

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Worst Games in the World - The Review Log

Post by Gavvie »

Hi all. Just wanted to take some time to detail a new review feature I'm going to be writing soon-ish.

As you've probably gathered from the title of the thread, this feature is going to be called The Worst Games in the World. It was an idea I'd had when trying to apply for a staff writer's job at StickTwiddlers, but that fell through so I'm going to do it in our very own Review Centre, at least until somebody else wants to take me up on it/I get my own website started.

There's hundreds of crap games around, not including licensed movie titles/games that some people love but others hate. We're talking games like Two Worlds, Lair, Haze, Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, Superman 64 etc etc. But are they actually as bad as their reputation would have you believe, or underneath a piss-poor budget and below average game design, is there actually some fun to be had?

In some cases, the answer will be no. Looking at that list of examples, I'm sure some of you can maybe spot those games. In others, they might actually be worth a go. I'm taking it upon myself to find them.

ALSO - If you want to inflict pain and suffering on me (and who doesn't?), feel free to suggest some games towards the feature. I will literally play ANYTHING, within reason (I don't care how bad they are, games created for a girls market are a no-no). I'm even debating finding a copy of Smarties Meltdown and seeing if it's BC on PS3...

--

EDIT: Jan 2012 - The Worst Games in the World feature is now live! Every time a new review is posted (usually the day after I've finished playing a game), this post will be updated with the links.

--

Review Log: Xbox 360
TMNT
Infernal: Hell's Vengeance
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty

Review Log: PlayStation 4
Aaru's Awakening
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Look up Ghostbusters II for the Atari 2600...it is so bad, Activision (the publisher at the time) didn't want to release it in America...too bad some publisher didn't get the message and gave it to Europeans instead.

What's interesting about it is that the game came out in 1992, three years after the film came out and roughly 15 years when the Atari launched!

It gets better (or worse), there's apparently only two levels in the game but the first level is nigh on impossible to beat due to how bad it really is.

Someone reviewed it and said "It's like putting Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull out on the N64 today"...I would add "with Superman 64 gameplay and Ridge Racer Vita content" at the end.
IvyRave
Level 10
Level 10

Post by IvyRave »

Here is a brilliant one from the PS1 for you, this isn't a real game but a movie with a bunch of hastily slapped on minigames with poor controls. From Dingo Pictures and Phoenix Games I present to you the game which ruined my childhood....

[video=youtube;LBdvkjK92-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBdvkjK92-Y[/video]
Am back for now:P
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Yeah, I think I'll avoid anything to do with Phoenix Games, most of the titles they released do seem to be shovelware.

When I've got a bit more free time on my hands, possibly this weekend, I'm going to do a writeup for Superman Returns. That'll be fun...
HelenBaby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HelenBaby »

One of the worst games I ever had the displeasure of playing was the 1998 title Powerboat Racing on the PC, by VR Sports (it was also available on the PS1). The worst pop-up I have ever seen in a racing game is combines with hideous low-res textures and glitches galore. And don't get me started on the crappy controls and (almost) impossibly hard AI.

It was kind of a shame because on the odd occasion I could make a turn or reach high speed it was actually almost fun. But, ofcourse, next minute I'd find myself on a new road and all I'd see is fog....

Avoid like the plague.
HelenBaby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HelenBaby »

One of the worst games I ever had the displeasure of playing was the 1998 title Powerboat Racing on the PC, by VR Sports (it was also available on the PS1). The worst pop-up I have ever seen in a racing game is combined with hideous low-res textures and glitches galore. And don't get me started on the crappy controls and (almost) impossibly hard AI.

It was kind of a shame because on the odd occasion I could make a turn or reach high speed it was actually almost fun. But, ofcourse, next minute I'd find myself on a new road and all I'd see is fog....

Avoid like the plague.
amcdc79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amcdc79 »

While my beloved Dreamcast had some of the Best All-time Racers, it also had one of the Worst. Spirit Of Speed 1937 was the epitome of how not to do a racing game. With controls straight out of 1937, they must of all been Drunk. A True Coaster, with Only collectors actually looking for this turd. It's only redeeming feature, was the fact is was on a GD-Rom.
metalgamer
Level 8
Level 8

Post by metalgamer »

Ice Age 2: The Meltdown for the PS2. The game is so lackluster. That is honestly the best way to describe the game. Ice Age 2: The Lackluster. Worth a look for you to see whether you think it's as bad as I think it is.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Oh that game was absurd....
SEGANut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SEGANut »

F**KING. PAC-MAN. FEVER.

I have not once played a game I absolutely hated with every fiber of my being. Every game I've ever played is either awesome, fun, or just flat-out mediocre, but still playable. But then I played Pac-Man Fever for the Nintendo Gamecube, a Mario Party rip-off so bad it hurts. The Mini-Games are uninspired, the way you determine moving from space to space is dreadful and you can't even select your opposing characters! You thought Sonic Shuffle was a horrible Mario Party Knock-Off? Pac-Man Fever makes Sonic Shuffle look like a Magnum Opus!!
"ARGH, you f***ing Processing, stop being so BLAST!!" - The Angry Video Game Nerd