Artists: Share Your Work!

What it says on the tin...
rakkiiguy
Level 2
Level 2

Artists: Share Your Work!

Post by rakkiiguy »

I don't feel I'm the only artist here, and by artist, I mean doing whatever you consider to be an art form. I.e., drawing, painting, writing, music, videos, graphics, photography, modeling, crafts; whatever. As long as it ain't illegal. (Granted, graffiti's pretty cool to look at.) Ahem!

The point of this thread is to share your work with the community (and other artists) here at RadioSEGA! It doesn't matter how long you've been doing this or that, if it's just a hobby, or how good you think you are – don't be shy to post your stuff. If you'd like critique or just wanna talk about types of art or artists in general, you're welcome to do that here. We all know that everyone has room to improve, but do me a favor and don't talk down on anyone's work; that includes your own. That ain't cool.

I checked around and didn't see a similiar thread here, and to my understanding, it won't hurt to link to your online galleries, portfolios, yadda yadda. However, if it goes against RadioSEGA's rules or TOS, do not link to a site or post images that breaks them. Obvious is obvious. If you choose to post an image, resize it for the forum and try not to delete the source so we don't have a bunch of empty spaces in the future.

Please remember to keep the posts art related. Oh, and have a good time!
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Well, all I do have is my deviantART account. Before I link that..

My interest in drawing/art began all the way back in the year of 2005. I was in the 6th grade at the time, and like many of you at such a young age, I was a fan of the blue, spiky thing they call Sonic. I drew fanart of him. Granted, and I'm not ashamed to say this, it looked bad. It sucked. However, as my first time actively drawing anything, it still have its charms. Sadly, I don't think I have that 'work' any more. At one point, I was actually paid for that work. Silly huh.

Anywho, my interest died down over the next couple of years. Not until...what was it..2009/2010? My brother, mtwinny, wanted to see if I can try drawing humans. My first attempt was not so good-looking, but that just opened the possibilities for me. I drew more and more, improving on the human anatomy while maintaining a anime-like look.

2011/2012 is when I wanted to improve further, going into perspective, slight digital art meshing with traditional art. More of that happened in 2012. In addition, I'm taking a Art Studies program in my current college, so I've been learning more traditional art methods, such as charcoal, specific pencils, etc.

I hope I can get into Multimedia/Animation program in a four-year college. For now I'm no where as good into drawing more detailed poses and such. I'm still drawing though.

Oh, here's my dA account: http://thechaosblue.deviantart.com/

Go nuts.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

^Awesome how you can draw anime style-ish art. I'm still stuck trying to learn the human anatomy and it's a huge pain...

I'm somewhat similar to Chaos as well I guess. I was interested in drawing as far as I remember when I think about it. I always remember drawing things and I think if mum's story is true, I might have even drawn on walls with my own crap when I was less then a year old...

But ultimately, while drawing was always a hobby for me, I never considered it as a potential career until a few years ago. I was never really sure of what I wanted to do. I loved Videogames so as a child my goal was to just... "make games". Then as I grew up and reality hit and logic came to me, I realized that making games has many stages and parts to it. Plus there's the matter of payment and effort. I originally intended to be a programmer but that slowly changed as I got more and more into drawing Sonic(and fan character...) and art in general.

Now I wish to become an animator or concept artist when I grow up for either the Videogame or Movie industry.

As far as my skills go... well I'm a lazy person. I don't work a lot so my skills aren't the best, especially when it comes to using programs like Photoshop or more advanced animating. I haven't made a lot of animations and I don't own a lot of good animating programs like Flash. Mainly I've just used Pivot for some short walking or fighting animations and they weren't the best.
As far as drawing goes, like I said before, I'm still trying to learn the Human anatomy and as that one's still pretty off, I can really only draw Sonic characters nicely. I like Digital Art so I mainly use a Wacom Bamboo tablet and I prefer old school shading instead of using program commands like Photoshop so I use Corel.

I mainly just draw Sonic but I've done scenery too. My avatar picture is something I made myself(I know I've said this before). I'll post my other art some other time.
BluePuyo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BluePuyo »

I love drawing, is one of my favorite hobbies.

I started drawing in my childhood, when I was 5-6 years old, trying to draw video game characters. Years later, in the golden days of anime, I tried manga style, and I stuck with that since then.
There was a time frame where I suddenly stopped drawing, in my fourteen to be exact. It lasted aprox 2-3 years. Looking back, I regret it. The time was lost, and it sure would have helped me with the practice.
Nowadays, while I still do drawings in manga style, I'm more open to almost everything, including reality, which it helps in the long run.

My skills are decent, I can't help to compare it to other drawings sometimes. But I feel inspired when I see such amazing pictures.
My worst enemy is perspective. It's something that I have yet to grasp.

I have a DA account, but I never used it, and by never, I mean I didn't even touch it after I signed up. =P
There's nothing I can show, so it's something I owe to the thread.

That's all coming from me.
TheChaosBlue wrote:Oh, here's my dA account: http://thechaosblue.deviantart.com/
Just keep in mind, you don't have to force yourself to improve, draw to enjoy it, the improvements will come alone. Getting better in drawing is not an easy process after all. I'm not saying that you have to forget all the studies and fundamentals, but little by little, with that knowledge, in practice you'll see the improvements.
Quills on Wheels wrote: My avatar picture is something I made myself(I know I've said this before).
I didn't know that. It's looks good and original.
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

^That picture is really interesting for some reason.

BluePuyo wrote:
I didn't know that. It's looks good and original.
Hm Thank you. :)

Now I don't draw a lot usually. Again, I'm pretty damn lazy. I'll just post a few work I've done a while ago. By a while ago, I mean like a LONG while ago... like nearly a year ago...

Here's the full picture of my avatar. (I've shown these pictures before but I'm showing them for members who didn't see them in the other thread.)
Click to reveal
And this is the last version and picture of my Fan Character. Yeah he's nothing original...
Click to reveal
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

BluePuyo wrote: My worst enemy is perspective. It's something that I have yet to grasp.
You too huh?
Just keep in mind, you don't have to force yourself to improve, draw to enjoy it, the improvements will come alone. Getting better in drawing is not an easy process after all. I'm not saying that you have to forget all the studies and fundamentals, but little by little, with that knowledge, in practice you'll see the improvements.
Well, thanks for the tips, I appreciate what you are talking about. I know that forcing myself isn't a good thing, I feel what I do now has reached a stagnant. Hence why I wanted to start on the path of improving. At the same time however, I kinda lost my interest in drawing for a while, because I'm frustrated with where I'm going with it.

I do want to go back to it, and I do have plans and ideas in my head to draw with. Right now, I just don't have the drive.
Starlight wrote:Image
I'm getting a Carnival (Caribbean festival)/Mar de Gras vibe here.
rakkiiguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rakkiiguy »

TheChaosBlue wrote:Well, all I do have is my deviantART account. Before I link that..

My interest in drawing/art began all the way back in the year of 2005. I was in the 6th grade at the time, and like many of you at such a young age, I was a fan of the blue, spiky thing they call Sonic. I drew fanart of him. Granted, and I'm not ashamed to say this, it looked bad. It sucked. However, as my first time actively drawing anything, it still have its charms. Sadly, I don't think I have that 'work' any more. At one point, I was actually paid for that work. Silly huh.

Anywho, my interest died down over the next couple of years. Not until...what was it..2009/2010? My brother, mtwinny, wanted to see if I can try drawing humans. My first attempt was not so good-looking, but that just opened the possibilities for me. I drew more and more, improving on the human anatomy while maintaining a anime-like look.

2011/2012 is when I wanted to improve further, going into perspective, slight digital art meshing with traditional art. More of that happened in 2012. In addition, I'm taking a Art Studies program in my current college, so I've been learning more traditional art methods, such as charcoal, specific pencils, etc.

I hope I can get into Multimedia/Animation program in a four-year college. For now I'm no where as good into drawing more detailed poses and such. I'm still drawing though.

Oh, here's my dA account: http://thechaosblue.deviantart.com/

Go nuts.
Wow, that'd already be nine years ago since your interest in art started. A pretty good while. It's kinda impressive when you're able t'say that you've sold your own art as a kid. Even after you improve to the point of not even recognizing your own works from back when.

Anatomy is one problem everyone seems to have, but the more your practice, the better you get. Some artists tend to continue on a piece until they think the drawing they're working on starts to suck and they throw it out, but if you continue on it and push yourself to finish it, you can study the finished product and take notes on the flaws and what areas you need to focus on. Granted, you don't want to put too much pressure on yourself to finish something you don't want to and you've got to have fun with it, but you need to do it every now and then because you'll take notice of things you wouldn't have otherwise.

I've never had an art class before, other than crafts in elementary school, but if you're able to go to art school or an art class like you're doing now, you totally should. You'll learn a lot if you pay close enough attention and put your heart into it!
Quills on Wheels wrote:^Awesome how you can draw anime style-ish art. I'm still stuck trying to learn the human anatomy and it's a huge pain...

I'm somewhat similar to Chaos as well I guess. I was interested in drawing as far as I remember when I think about it. I always remember drawing things and I think if mum's story is true, I might have even drawn on walls with my own crap when I was less then a year old...

But ultimately, while drawing was always a hobby for me, I never considered it as a potential career until a few years ago. I was never really sure of what I wanted to do. I loved Videogames so as a child my goal was to just... "make games". Then as I grew up and reality hit and logic came to me, I realized that making games has many stages and parts to it. Plus there's the matter of payment and effort. I originally intended to be a programmer but that slowly changed as I got more and more into drawing Sonic(and fan character...) and art in general.

Now I wish to become an animator or concept artist when I grow up for either the Videogame or Movie industry.

As far as my skills go... well I'm a lazy person. I don't work a lot so my skills aren't the best, especially when it comes to using programs like Photoshop or more advanced animating. I haven't made a lot of animations and I don't own a lot of good animating programs like Flash. Mainly I've just used Pivot for some short walking or fighting animations and they weren't the best.
As far as drawing goes, like I said before, I'm still trying to learn the Human anatomy and as that one's still pretty off, I can really only draw Sonic characters nicely. I like Digital Art so I mainly use a Wacom Bamboo tablet and I prefer old school shading instead of using program commands like Photoshop so I use Corel.

I mainly just draw Sonic but I've done scenery too. My avatar picture is something I made myself(I know I've said this before). I'll post my other art some other time.
If that story's true, you're not alone. I've drawn on about everything I could've when I was a kid. My door, my walls, the hallway... the washing machine. My dad didn't like that last bit too much, but I look back on it and laugh nowadays.

An animator or concept artist, huh? Conceptual art is more my area, too. Animating is fun to do. It's not too hard once you get into the groove of the program(s) to put the frames together, numbering them, etc; whether or not you draw traditionally or digitally. You might be interested in buying a lightbox if you don't own one already to take your animations further. They also help a ton in drawing in general. Like those times you wanna ink something you just sketched out, but don't wanna make a mistake on the original or when you wanna leave the first piece like it is and just trace over it to make another copy. Comes in handy for a lot of things. Plus, it's good to work with 'em before you get into an animation career so you can get familiar with using them incase the studio you get hired for uses them.

The work you've done for your avatar looks good! It reminds me a bit of a similiar image someone did that had Sonic, Sonic the Werehog, and Chip going around each half of the world in day and night. I can't remember who did it, though. You should post your other stuff!
BluePuyo wrote:I love drawing, is one of my favorite hobbies.

I started drawing in my childhood, when I was 5-6 years old, trying to draw video game characters. Years later, in the golden days of anime, I tried manga style, and I stuck with that since then.
There was a time frame where I suddenly stopped drawing, in my fourteen to be exact. It lasted aprox 2-3 years. Looking back, I regret it. The time was lost, and it sure would have helped me with the practice.
Nowadays, while I still do drawings in manga style, I'm more open to almost everything, including reality, which it helps in the long run.

My skills are decent, I can't help to compare it to other drawings sometimes. But I feel inspired when I see such amazing pictures.
My worst enemy is perspective. It's something that I have yet to grasp.

I have a DA account, but I never used it, and by never, I mean I didn't even touch it after I signed up. =P
There's nothing I can show, so it's something I owe to the thread.

That's all coming from me.

Oh, do I remember the golden days of animation.

Yeah, it would've helped you with practice and I see why you'd regret it, but there's always time to improve. It's a very good thing that you're open to drawing almost anything style-wise. You need to study all the areas of art you can to grow more as an artist, not just try and stick with or mimic one style. Not good at vehicles? Practice. Bad with scenery? Practice. Clothes, perspectives and anatomy? Study yourself in the mirror! It can do a lot to help you. Same with expressions. Things you feel you're not good at – those are the things you need to focus on.

That last bit there about how the improvements'll come along with time; can I get an amen?
Starlight wrote:Image
Nice Reala costume, Eevee. Now, let's see you paraloop.
TheChaosBlue wrote:You too huh?

Well, thanks for the tips, I appreciate what you are talking about. I know that forcing myself isn't a good thing, I feel what I do now has reached a stagnant. Hence why I wanted to start on the path of improving. At the same time however, I kinda lost my interest in drawing for a while, because I'm frustrated with where I'm going with it.

I do want to go back to it, and I do have plans and ideas in my head to draw with. Right now, I just don't have the drive.
I'm gonna suggest to you what I do to help keep me from fallin' into a bad time of not having any drive to draw and some other artist problems. You need to buy a sketchbook; whatever type floats your boat. Maybe one small enough for you to take around when ya go out places. Anywho, you should get one and sketch in it once a day. No matter how long it takes to do, what it is or what it's of; roughs, illustrations, comics, characters, sceneries, a rock sitting on the ground, a few lines... Anything! Drawing anything once a day will help you stay away from getting into a long period of not drawing anything. You wanna be sure your talents don't get rusty and that what you've learned stays fresh.

(My apologies for the huge reply post and if I somehow mess this multi-quote thing up.)
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Some good artists on this site.
Tic Tac, sir?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

rakkiiguy wrote:Wow, that'd already be nine years ago since your interest in art started. A pretty good while. It's kinda impressive when you're able t'say that you've sold your own art as a kid. Even after you improve to the point of not even recognizing your own works from back when.

Anatomy is one problem everyone seems to have, but the more your practice, the better you get. Some artists tend to continue on a piece until they think the drawing they're working on starts to suck and they throw it out, but if you continue on it and push yourself to finish it, you can study the finished product and take notes on the flaws and what areas you need to focus on. Granted, you don't want to put too much pressure on yourself to finish something you don't want to and you've got to have fun with it, but you need to do it every now and then because you'll take notice of things you wouldn't have otherwise.

I've never had an art class before, other than crafts in elementary school, but if you're able to go to art school or an art class like you're doing now, you totally should. You'll learn a lot if you pay close enough attention and put your heart into it!

I'm gonna suggest to you what I do to help keep me from fallin' into a bad time of not having any drive to draw and some other artist problems. You need to buy a sketchbook; whatever type floats your boat. Maybe one small enough for you to take around when ya go out places. Anywho, you should get one and sketch in it once a day. No matter how long it takes to do, what it is or what it's of; roughs, illustrations, comics, characters, sceneries, a rock sitting on the ground, a few lines... Anything! Drawing anything once a day will help you stay away from getting into a long period of not drawing anything. You wanna be sure your talents don't get rusty and that what you've learned stays fresh.

(My apologies for the huge reply post and if I somehow mess this multi-quote thing up.)
I understand, maybe I should put so much pressure on myself in that way. Just take it one step at a time.

And I do have art classes, in fact my major here is Art Studies. In addition, I do have a sketchbook, albeit a large one.