May 2013: Golden Axe (1989)

RadioSEGA's Game of the Month is back! Feel free to drop your comments in here.
KC
Administrator
Administrator

May 2013: Golden Axe (1989)

Post by KC »

So, Game of the Month is now officially back (with a vengeance).
This month, we focus on Golden Axe, originally released in 1989 for the Arcades and later on the Mega Drive/Genesis.

Feel free to comment with your own impressions on the game, memories and everything like that.

Here's a quick excerpt of the GOTM article on the main site:
Golden Axe is a barbarian themed side-scrolling beat-em-up heavily inspired by the Conan the Barbarian stories. It was originally released for the Arcades in 1989 and later that year came to the Mega Drive in Japan. In 1990, the game launched in Europe and the US.

You play as one of these three characters. Ax is a barbarian, wielding a two handed broadsword; Tyris is an amazon, whose weapon of choice is a long-sword; and fan-favourite Gilius is an axe-wielding dwarf.

Gameplay is pretty straightforward. You choose one of the aforementioned characters and off you go in your quest to crush the abnormally huge giant Death Adder. But before you get there, you'll have a series of Adder's henchmen to destroy, including skeletons, men armed with clubs and maces and bikini-wearing babes that scream histerically when killed. On your way, you'll also get to ride bizarrians, beasts that resemble dinosaurs and dragons. This is by far the most exciting twist in gameplay.

TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Yay, GotM is really back, for reals, with a revengance (sorry, bad pun, but who cares?)
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Moved this thread into the Game of the Month forum we've got :P

Nice to see GotM come back though - it was something that I, personally, wanted to do more with, but I think I'd reached the limits of my abilities.

This relaunched idea is absolutely aces, though. Looking forward to seeing what games are featured from here on out.
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

Love the fact we get to revisit classic games. Curious how many more could be covered.
I remember Golden Axe being pretty challenging. So many quarters went bye-bye. =D