Summer of Sonic 2013

Post here about events relating to SEGA.
SimonShirley
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by SimonShirley »

The recordings are on the way. We've got a couple online now but they are not where they should be.

Stand by...!!
Long time lurker and sometimes chief assistant. More the former.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Oh yeah; that article you posted foreversonic about your day there, I quite enjoyed reading it.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

I have to read that article at some point :P
metalgamer
Level 8
Level 8

Post by metalgamer »

It was a fantastic year, my favourite one I've been to so far, I loved it, it's the only convention I go to, I would go to an anime convention, but I'm going to be honest, some anime fans worry me a little...
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

metalgamer wrote:I would go to an anime convention, but I'm going to be honest, some anime fans worry me a little...
We're not all screaming teenage girls who think that "Sasuke-kun wa mega kawaii desu". Some of us are simply socially inept manchildren.
metalgamer
Level 8
Level 8

Post by metalgamer »

I'm not saying you all are, some anime fans I really like, I mean that if I went to one, I know I would end up running into one that would annoy me. I'm an anime fan, but I don't know whether I'd use Otaku or not since that's usually used for an anime fan who is very into it (sorry if it's completely misinformed).
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

metalgamer wrote:I don't know whether I'd use Otaku or not since that's usually used for an anime fan who is very into it (sorry if it's completely misinformed).
Actually, Otaku is a derogatory term in Japanese. The closest term in English for it would be "Maniac"; someone who's obsessive, passionate and an obsessive collect/consumer of a certain interest/topic/concept to the point where it starts taking over their life. You can have car otaku, pop idol otaku, military otaku, cooking otaku, etc, etc. Only in the west has it developed this alternative meaning of someone who is fond of anime/manga/games/J-Culture.

Of course, you can have anime otaku, manga otaku, game otaku, etc, etc in Japan, but keep in mind that it's a negative label, not a positive one.

I feel the negative connotations fit me well, so I'll sometimes use it. I'm a pretty terrible person after all. But I end up shaking my head at people who don't understand it's true connotations and try to use it like some kind of badge of honour in their cool anime kids club.
metalgamer
Level 8
Level 8

Post by metalgamer »

Interesting breakdown of the word. I generally get confused by the term since when anime fans use the term, they just use Otaku like it's the anime community who coined the phrase. I've heard it being used as a negative term, but many fans I know use it like a positive description of someone. Also about the horrible person, I obviously can't say whether you are or aren't. I've never met you, but you don't give the impression as a bad person to me, plus no-one should ever refer to themselves as such.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

"Sonic Okatu"

shudder...