Level 1

-

Post by ChadFox_ »

-
AIAI1980
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AIAI1980 »

I dont actually like platform games except sonic, sorry I cant help.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Better question is what happened to the genre? It used to be the sht up until the mid 2000s.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I guess it's mostly because companies have moved away from the attempt to make mascot characters which are usually what get put in platformers. So Nintendo are only really the ones bothering to make big budget platformers since they already have hugely successful IPs to use. Other than that I guess there's always indies.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Twinny wrote:Better question is what happened to the genre? It used to be the sht up until the mid 2000s.
It's all about the shooty shooty bang bang now.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Twinny wrote:Better question is what happened to the genre? It used to be the sht up until the mid 2000s.
The average age of people who play games rose; as such companies became less interested in family friendly titles and saw more money in more mature titles. As such the cutesy platformer became less enticing to larger companies. (Nintendo aside, because Nintendo are mad.)
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Reknoc wrote:I guess it's mostly because companies have moved away from the attempt to make mascot characters which are usually what get put in platformers. So Nintendo are only really the ones bothering to make big budget platformers since they already have hugely successful IPs to use. Other than that I guess there's always indies.
Quills on Wheels wrote:It's all about the shooty shooty bang bang now.
Kaito-kun wrote:The average age of people who play games rose; as such companies became less interested in family friendly titles and saw more money in more mature titles. As such the cutesy platformer became less enticing to larger companies. (Nintendo aside, because Nintendo are mad.)
Sigh...a dying breed it is. Curse you, shooters.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

It's funny how we're all saying that the platformer is dead, and yet Ratchet & Clank came out to pretty rave reviews a few weeks back.

Yeah, it's got shooting in, but it's also a platformer at heart. Great game, too.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

The notion of the genre isn't where it once was. Doesn't mean it's dead.

Ratchet and Clank is still highly regarded, plus Yooka-Laylee and the occasional Nintendo first party still shows there's an audience.
Mikurotoro92
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mikurotoro92 »

TheChaosBlue wrote:The notion of the genre isn't where it once was. Doesn't mean it's dead.

Ratchet and Clank is still highly regarded, plus Yooka-Laylee and the occasional Nintendo first party still shows there's an audience.
But if what you're saying is true about Ratchet & Clank then what explains the recent movie flopping?

As for the whole thing reguarding platformers they aren't as popular anymore mainly because of the rise of the aforementioned FPS genre with games like Call of Duty SEGA & Nintendo are the only devs left who still care about platformers if it wasn't for them the genre would be dead in the water!