Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
Love songs have NO place in Sonic!
Same as heavy metal, but no one batted an eye when they heard Shadow the Hedgehog's music.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Twinny wrote:Same as heavy metal, but no one batted an eye when they heard Shadow the Hedgehog's music.
Heavy Metal is a genre that's never been in any sonic game.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Eh. Honestly, love songs or heavy metal, I don't think it's fair to say what type of genre fits in a Sonic game and what doesn't. It really comes down to the atmosphere and the vibe the game is trying to give off. If it's supposed to be a bit darker then let it have rough electric guitar music and the same for romance.
Problem is, Sonic games haven't really managed to give off dark edgy and romance really well so the music has often felt weird alongside it.

If the right atmosphere is established, I have no problem with any fitting soundtrack.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Eh. Honestly, love songs or heavy metal, I don't think it's fair to say what type of genre fits in a Sonic game and what doesn't. It really comes down to the atmosphere and the vibe the game is trying to give off. If it's supposed to be a bit darker then let it have rough electric guitar music and the same for romance.
Problem is, Sonic games haven't really managed to give off dark edgy and romance really well so the music has often felt weird alongside it.

If the right atmosphere is established, I have no problem with any fitting soundtrack.
Someone said it.

But sticking to topic, in my opinion, the majority of Sonic Chronicles' music sucks.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Mikurotoro92
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mikurotoro92 »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Eh. Honestly, love songs or heavy metal, I don't think it's fair to say what type of genre fits in a Sonic game and what doesn't. It really comes down to the atmosphere and the vibe the game is trying to give off. If it's supposed to be a bit darker then let it have rough electric guitar music and the same for romance.

The problem (at least for me) is like I said in another thread I don't like seeing love songs invade VGM (ESPECIALLY Sonic) although at this point ANYTHING'S better then all the crap children's stuff I have been listening to on the TV (excluding most cartoon soundtracks)!

I don't like most top-40 love songs but at least they have more heart put into them then most of the formulaic & contrived children's "music" which is sung by grown-ups who just want a quick paycheck!

How can kids like this crap?!

I'd RATHER they listen to VGM because it's good quality (for the most part) compared to the crap they're being forced to listen to!

I feel sorry for them!
PTKickass
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by PTKickass »

Gavvie wrote:You know, I quite like the Sonic Chronicles soundtrack. I think it gets a lot of hate because of the compression that was needed to fit it onto a DS cartridge - if Chronicles was a 3DS, PSP or Vita game then I think a lot more people would appreciate it. Hell, play Chronicles on a 3DS and it sounds a little better already!
Sorry for the super late response but, you can't really blame the DS soundchip for that. Just look at the Rush games, those sound amazing an they were on the DS.
An adventure is no fun if it is too easy!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

PTKickass wrote:Sorry for the super late response but, you can't really blame the DS soundchip for that. Just look at the Rush games, those sound amazing an they were on the DS.
What he said.

Though to be fair, I did enjoy a couple of the chronicles tunes. Nothing mind blowing and the quality still lacks a bit but the melody is a alright.
[video=youtube;3FUPdG8vEuc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FUPdG8vEuc[/video]
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Who was that English bloke who thought he was Japanese and kept providing vocal tracks in Sonic games about half a decade ago? He was pretty awful.

Barkley Jones?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

City Escape is still pretty much the worst. It'd probably be easy to brush all of Crush 40's shit with the same colour but...

uhm
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Reknoc wrote:City Escape is still pretty much the worst. It'd probably be easy to brush all of Crush 40's shit with the same colour but...

uhm
City Escape is so bad it's good in my mind. Although hearing it on a loop in that stage does get annoying.