Pokémon

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Reknoc wrote:The only reason I tolerated old Pokemon in B/W2 is because it kinda worked since I'd already been through this region with its region specific Pokemon. Well until the sewer when I got double-teamed by a ratatta and zubat then I stopped playing the game.

edit: movement in this game is still tilebased aaaahhhh fml
lol, why are they even in the sewers? It should be Grimer and Koffing!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Oh wait....the bike is still relevant in this game, YAY!
BurningFlame2010 wrote:It's the only thing that's going to get me back into the series, they keep shoving too many new pokemon into it that when someone like me that wants to fill the pokedex up in everyone, can't most of the time because there's too many and most of the pokemon require you to have the other games as well.
We think alike my friend. :)

I think that's the appeal of getting different games/getting ones different from your friends, but I agree it's far too much now for me to care about the series.

Perhaps the Pokedex can be broken down to 5 divisions? So if you complete the one for Gen 1 you get a nice reward (other then a Star on your License...always hated that noise), and so on.....very, very, VERY few players can obtain all 600+ pokemon these days...I think it's getting to the point now that Pokemon is just a Japanese Call of Duty fest (only they release them every 2/3 years instead of one)...any other company would be slated for doing this (Ubisoft for Just Dance/AssCreed, Acti for Call of Duty, Blizzard for WoW), so why does Nintendo get a free ride just because Pokemon is popular?

In fact, I recall some fan defending how Mario isn't overused (as well as pokemon, I used Sonic being overused as a counter-argument), but moaned at how many WRPGs dominate despite JRPGs ruling for years....very inconsistent of them.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Uh... the difference between yearly releases and a release every 3-4 years is pretty big.

edit: well, the franchise is pretty overused for both Mario and Pokemon, but actual main games, which are the important ones, rarely come out.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

It's over 700 Pokemon brother. Among other things.

One thing that may get a laugh of of a few here is probably this:

• The game will utilize the Nintendo 3DS to its maximum abilities to leverage its overwhelmingly beautiful presentation.
Seeing initial reactions to the graphics and crap, GF better promise this/need to deliever.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

The tile based movement has never bothered me and graphically the game (at the moment) doesn't look terrible. Yes, I could be better, but for a main series Pokémon game it's looking pretty damn nice.

And when you look at it in the grand scheme of things...

...I think it's looking pretty good.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Yes, it's ability to look better than a 17 year old game is impressive.

Tiled based movement hurts the game in design more than just actual freedom of movement.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Pokémon is 17 years old?!?...

Stop making me feel old :(
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Relevant:

Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Reknoc wrote:Uh... the difference between yearly releases and a release every 3-4 years is pretty big.

edit: well, the franchise is pretty overused for both Mario and Pokemon, but actual main games, which are the important ones, rarely come out.
Of course it is, but it still doesn't change how Pokemon, whether the main games or spin offs, are released pretty much every year without fail.

The main games make the most sales, but they aren't necessarily the important ones...if you are a fan of Pokemon, you'd likely buy the Ranger/Dungeon/Console iterations also.

Anyway, some of the monsters look good, I will admit...but will that be consistent throughout?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Starlight wrote:Of course it is, but it still doesn't change how Pokemon, whether the main games or spin offs, are released pretty much every year without fail.

The main games make the most sales, but they aren't necessarily the important ones...if you are a fan of Pokemon, you'd likely buy the Ranger/Dungeon/Console iterations also.

Anyway, some of the monsters look good, I will admit...but will that be consistent throughout?
I agree, and with the notion that the main games are released every 3-4 years of so...er not quite. The main ones would usually have a 2-3 release between them mostly as far as I'm aware. Gen 5 really abused that having their main games released about a year from each other.

Plus with Gen 6's pair of games, add just another year until a main game release.
ozzypt
Level 10
Level 10

Post by ozzypt »

So Either Lugia has a new rival or they both want hugs.