Do you play any instruments?

What it says on the tin...
Shadid

Do you play any instruments?

Post by Shadid »

Simple idea I had, and since I'm in a musical mood, let's post this.

How many of you have any/play any/are leaning any instruments? Because it's so interesting to hear/play your favourite instrument and talking about it.

Well, here's my case: I'm learning how to play guitar, been learning with my sister and online, and for inspiration I often listen to this or to a regular guitar music. I'm actually in plans for asking an electric guitar, as I enjoy more the sounds of an electric one. And after trying one for the first time at the Experience Music Project|Science Fiction Museum in Seattle, it was a one-of-a-kind experience.

And you, what's your poison?
I live here now!
MrEthernex
Level 10
Level 10

Post by MrEthernex »

I've been playing percussion for about 5 years (I'm on personal hiatus at this time). Started off with drums, then learned a little bit of piano, then got really good at mallet keyboard. My music teacher would always assign me mallet parts, so it was no surprise that I became better at it over time. Drum kit, on the other hand, is not exactly my forte. I can play, but I could use some more practice.

All in all, it's fun and active; fairly physical, too. Over the years, I've kinda lost my passion for percussion (I've still got respect for it, though). Sometime in the future, I would love to learn something like guitar or bass. I don't want to pursue a career as a musician, but it's a nice skill to have.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I play clasical guitar. Ofcaurs I wished I had a electric guitar so I could play my favorite sonic songs and learn them -_- . But if I have to chose between A new Game console and a electric guitar, I would chose the console because, well what can I say... I am a VIDEO GAME FREAK! :P
:guitar:
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I used to do a little drumming and xylophone, althought they were mainly so I could pass Higher Music. (I got a B! Somehow. I never did any work.)
miharbi_nami
Level 4
Level 4

Post by miharbi_nami »

I used to play the recorder and then upgraded to the flute. I'm now learning how to play the piano and later maybe the guitar. :3
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Yes I am extremly musical. I can play the triangle, cow bell and tambourine. Im also amazing with a washboard. Yes im THAT GOOD!............*cough*
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I don't know how to play an instrument, but I always wanted to learn, especially the drums. But Rock Band is the closest I'll get methinks!

It's interesting though; at my Uni on the games course, quite a lot of people can play the guitar, or have been learning it. Seems to be quite a popular thing amongst many gamers I've met. Who says Rock Band destroys music after all?
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Been writing lyrics for about 8 years, playing guitar for 5 years, doing sampling/synth/drum programming for about 2 years.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

richarddavies wrote:Yes I am extremly musical. I can play the triangle, cow bell and tambourine. Im also amazing with a washboard. Yes im THAT GOOD!............*cough*
Well, we do need more cowbell. /ChristopherWalkenJoke

And as for Rock Band/Guitar Hero games, I found that they weren't that improving.

...of course it's a lie! That's how I can now play faster. But alas, I'll wait for Rock Band 3, as it'll be The closest experience there'll be for real instruments, especially Guitar and Piano. And I do think that Rock Band is actually not destroying music, it's improving the musical experience.

And between a console and a guitar, I'd choose the guitar. I'd only buy a console if the catalog's good enough. And reason 2 is that it'd be what I wanted. :D
I live here now!
SimonShirley
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by SimonShirley »

Where do I start?

Music has alway been a big part of my life. I've tried to play a tune (or at least a note :P ) on most instruments.

What I have now is my:
  • Trombone - which I play with the Norwich City Concert Band
  • Violin - which has had better days XD
  • Ocarina - a 6 hole pendant bought as a hobby
  • Theremin - needs a lot of practice. It's worth looking for if you haven't heard of it as it's the only instrument ever invented that can be played without touching it!
  • Descant and Treble Recorders - again for hobby. You can hear a little of my treble recorder on my remix podcast. I took both of these to Summer of Sonic, along with my...
  • Guitar - I have four guitars - Acoustic, Semi-Acoustic, Electric and Bass. I can get some tunes going but I'm no Jun Senoue.
  • Handbells and Handchimes - I don't own any of these but I play with the East Anglian Regional Team. Anyone who happens to be near East Anglia or East Midlands may have heard of us.
I think that's everything!!
Long time lurker and sometimes chief assistant. More the former.