Debate: New Gen or Old Gen?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Debate: New Gen or Old Gen?

Post by Rayne »

Get out either your rose tinted specs or your xbox live headsets. I want to see what you think was best and why. The Dreamcast - Current gen or everything previous to that?

I can be swayed each way depending on the weather, I'm more curious to see what you side with.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Everything before the current gen vs the current gen seems incredibly unfair.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I think i've mentioned this before. But my fave Gen was the last one, this gen focuses way to much on multiplayer and the last decent Single Player game i played was bayonetta. Last gen had so much more to offer.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

@Rek - Not really, it's a look at how gaming is evolving and whether you prefer the way it's going or the way it used to be.
Gonic wrote:I think i've mentioned this before. But my fave Gen was the last one, this gen focuses way to much on multiplayer and the last decent Single Player game i played was bayonetta. Last gen had so much more to offer.
This is one of my biggest gripes about current gen gaming. It seems that for a game to be on the Xbox 360 is needs multi-player. While there's certainly been some great single player games, the sheer ammount of titles that offer a 4 hour story and try to justify it with a mediocre online mode is just awe inspiring.

I do feel that last gen was almost the perfect balance between technology & creativity.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Oh evolving, so basically this is do I like motion controls or not.

This gen is fine enough, I guess there aren't that many risks but you'd still get the nice little oddity like Deadly Premonitions or XBLA/PSN games. Either way current gen gaming as it is now doesn't stand a chance to the sheer brilliance of previous gen's librarys but this gen isn't going anywhere for a good long while even if I don't think Kinect and Move are gonna do for the 360 and PS3 as MS and Sony expect.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Rayne wrote: I do feel that last gen was almost the perfect balance between technology & creativity.
I agree. I think a good example would be Okami on the PS2. That game blew me away with the graphics, soundtrack...everything about it really.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Gonic wrote:I agree. I think a good example would be Okami on the PS2. That game blew me away with the graphics, soundtrack...everything about it really.
Shame they couldn't have made a good game to match.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

I think gaming budgets have gotten out of hand. Every developer wants a platinum selling title and they're not willing to try new things that may bring in tidy profits.

The games on XBLA/Wiiware/PSN have thus far been really excellent although I absolutely loathe Digital Downloads.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Budget is definitly the problem this gen. Publishers sending anything new to die in favour of spending the big marketing bucks on stuff that are gonna sell gangbuster anyway like Call of Duty.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Marketing is a pretty giant problem, there's been some cracking games released that I literally never knew existed (you seen that shadow type game from the Wii?)