The Olympic Games

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

I think it's improved, but far from perfect. NBC Sports in general was complete trash for the last 12 or so years before this one. Maybe Embersol's departure was the best thing that happened to NBC Sports.

On the flip side, BBC has probably created the template for GREAT Olympics coverage. Again, based on what I've heard. And as for what I've seen on YouTube, I would love to have some of those Brit announcers here. In the US, all we have are Arlo White, Ian Darke (the best in my opinion), and SOMETIMES Martin Tyler. All do soccer. Darke by the way has taken a few shots at NBC's tape delay strategy on Twitter.

My complaint with NBC's coverage... too many commercial breaks!!! Both on air and online!!!
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

^ The best guy on the BBC was an American though, Michael Johnson.

Coverage was good though as each sport had its own channel and if you missed anything they had everything online to stream. They were quite proud that you could watch 'every minute of the games' if you wanted.
Tic Tac, sir?
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Killer French Bread wrote:Coverage was good though as each sport had its own channel and if you missed anything they had everything online to stream. They were quite proud that you could watch 'every minute of the games' if you wanted.
Now that's just awesome.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

RW26 BLAZE
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RW26 BLAZE »

ozzypt wrote:Can't touch Usain Bolt, he's like sonic the hedgehog only human and xD
The attachment sonic_shorts_by_kassanovas-d5ace4p.jpg is no longer available
As for the Tattoo....... Its looks awesome
Attachments
sonic_shorts_by_kassanovas-d5ace4p.jpg
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Okay....first that pic is disturbing.

Second, the closing ceremony on NBC was lackluster. If the opening ceremony was allowed more primetime airing, not cut down the closing ceremony? All for some stupid 'hospital/Srcubs" knock-off with animals? I was even fine with the closing ceremony commercials.
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

I should mention that there was a Gallup poll last week that showed 59% of Americans (71% of Americans that watch a lot of it) would like to see the major Olympic events both live and on tape delay. Really, that would be smart because not everybody are able to watch them live - we all have lives. So, they can do them live on USA Network (which was abandoned thanks to NBCSN) and again in primetime on NBC. They're in-between contracts, so if they're really concerned about other network showing highlights before the airing, they could make it so they can't air them until the primetime show finishes airing on the west coast. They can make it work.

As for commercial breaks, I thought NBC went to them at really awkward times. And it was obvious they edited parts out (although some were understandable to keep the show going). The strange part was editing out The Who until after the local news (that and the awkward switchover to the new comedy Animal Practice which just like almost every other NBC comedy - isn't that good). Meanwhile - at least for Opening Ceremonies - I've read that BBC aired it not only live BUT commercial free! If you ask me that is crazy impressive. Maybe if NBC's Olympic coverage can have limited commercial breaks ala The Masters that would make my day. Watching NBC go to commercial THREE TIMES during the 10000m was beyond frustrating. #nbcfail

One final note: Just saw a survey that Australians are more unhappy about their country's coverage on Nine Network than Americans on NBC. 97% disapproval. Ouch.

On a more lighter note... two collections of hillarious photoshopped pictures. My personal favorite is the former:

Mo Farah Running Away from Things:
http://mofarahrunningawayfromthings.tumblr.com/

McKayla Maroney is NOT impressed:
http://mckaylaisnotimpressed.tumblr.com/
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

The BBC is ad free because we have pay for it. It's not exactly all that straight forward.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

We pay for it, even if we don't watch it

awesome eh?
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

Dr Shaneman wrote:The BBC is ad free because we have pay for it. It's not exactly all that straight forward.
How does that work? It's over-the-air TV, isn't it? Or is it cable/satellite? Never been overseas so I'm not familiar here.

Anyways, this should prove you British folks got better coverage - don't worry this ends on a funny note:
[youtube]YFbGndLHwN4[/youtube]
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

crippenstation wrote:How does that work? It's over-the-air TV, isn't it? Or is it cable/satellite? Never been overseas so I'm not familiar here.
To put it simply we have a TV tax that goes (mainly) to fund the BBC's UK operations/programming.