Welcome to RadioSEGA, if you are not a member register today!

RadioSEGA
  • News & Features
  • Playlist & Requests
  • Listen to RadioSEGA
  • Shows & Podcasts
  • RadioSEGA Media
  • Community
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Pudding!!

Are we talking just western games here?
    As in a lot of Japanese games I've played they've all been female leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Shaneman View Post
    Are we talking just western games here?
    As in a lot of Japanese games I've played they've all been female leads.
    I was talking about all games.

Although, games featuring large breasted moeblobs spouting phrases involving "onii-chan" don't really count.

Pudding!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito-kun View Post
    I was talking about all games.

Although, games featuring large breasted moeblobs spouting phrases involving "onii-chan" don't really count.
    I wasn't talking about moeblob games either.
    There's quite a few JRPGs and 2D fighting games which feature female leads.
    There's puzzle games with story modes too but I don't know if you're counting those.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito-kun View Post
    The only three female leads that really jump to my mind would be old Lara Croft, Samus Aran and Chell from Portal.

When you think about it, the original Portal doesn't feature any male characters at all which I think's pretty interesting. (Unless you count Rattman)

Makes you realised how male dominated this industry is. It's a shame; I sometimes prefer playing as female characters.
    Chell and Samus are pretty much non-characters and could be any gender really. Though I'd say they're a lot better than characters like Bayonetta and Juliet Starling.

Of course, what made me bring it up in the first place is a tweet a while back from one of the costume quest designers who said the game originally only had a girl character but publishers said they had to have a male one as well.

Going back to sexuality though, both "areas" seems to have troubles with it but for different reasons. Western devs will likely probably try and make a strong homosexual character, but then undermine everything by drawing too much attention to it. It's like the "game guuurl" effect where they just seem like attention seekers. Meanwhile Japan will just make them characatures.

Although I say that I think Atlus probably came the closest to having a well written and mature story arc about sexuality with Kanji in Persona 4. And then they fucked it up at the end by not giving it any resolution and just saying maybe he likes both? Oh but the reason he thought he was gay was because he fancied a boy, but it's alright because the boy is just a girl dressed like a boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reknoc View Post
    Though I'd say they're a lot better than characters like Bayonetta and Juliet Starling.
    Yeah, there was no way in hell I was going to count characters like those; yes they're female leads, however, they're overly sexualised male fantasies that are a negative when it comes to positive female lead roles.

NOT CONFUSING AT ALL Killer French Bread's Avatar

so basically, what i can gather from this topic is intelligent gamers don't want any of these sexy sassy women clogging up their screens, no instead they are all eagerly awaiting the day gaming grows up and this auspicious day will finally be heralded by the release of none other than Anne Widdecombe: The Videogame.
    Tic Tac, sir?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer French Bread View Post
    so basically, what i can gather from this topic is intelligent gamers don't want any of these sexy sassy women clogging up their screens, no instead they are all eagerly awaiting the day gaming grows up and this auspicious day will finally be heralded by the release of none other than Anne Widdecombe: The Videogame.
    Good interpretation.

And suuuuuuuuuch a day one buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer French Bread View Post
    I never said there's anything wrong with an occasional guilty pleasure: I thoroughly enjoyed Dead or Alive Xtreme 2. But we can't all want it all the time, can we? And there's an iffy ratio when it comes to female characters in games at the moment.

Frimelda Lotice is the only character who to me is simply amazing!

Great story, great side character...great personality and best of all...SHE DOESN'T EXIST AS RULE 34!!!! :D

The reason she probably isn't one because she's covered up from head to toe...and you first meet her as a zombie.

I play a female where I can really, as it needs to be promoted and considered of an equal importance to gamers.

Over sexualising them is not right....at least to me...I want some genuine females I can relate to.

I like Marina Wulfstan, Frimelda Lotice and probably Lightning in the games as they feel real to me...although many people question Lightning in the games, I think she's very realistic in her emotions and doesn't act overtly feminine at all!