Welcome to RadioSEGA, if you are not a member register today!

RadioSEGA
  • News & Features
  • Playlist & Requests
  • Listen to RadioSEGA
  • Shows & Podcasts
  • RadioSEGA Media
  • Community

Default Chickaroo Reviews: Spyro the Dragon (PS1)

The start to a classic trilogy, this is Spyro the Dragon, one of the greatest games for the PlayStation 1. Does it still hold up today or does it fall on it's spiky back?

Game: Spyro the Dragon
    Systems: PlayStation 1, PlayStation Network
    Release Dates: 9/10/98 (NA), 10/22/98 (EU), 4/1/99 (JP)
    Developers: Insomniac Games

In The World of Dragons...
    Story: The five dragon clans are being interviewed (for some reason) and is asked about a guy named Gnasty Gnorc. One of the dragons says to the press that he is no threat and that he is ugly. Gnasty Gnorc, enraged by the live interview, freezes all the dragons in the five clans. All dragons, except for a little purple one named Spyro. And now he has to save his fellow dragons.

Letís See If This Still Holds Up Today
    Gameplay: The game is yes indeedy, a platformer. Spyro can really only do a few things. He can glide, jump, charge and flame enemies and boxes. Your objective is to collect gems scattered through the worlds, save the frozen dragons and collect dragon eggs from thieves. Thatís kind of not a whole lot to collect.
    Gems are basically your money in the game. There really isnít really anything to buy. To get to a new world, you have a different objective. Either collect a certain amount of dragons or gems or eggs.
    Level wise, they feel empty. Heck, this game feels a little empty. There really isnít a whole lot to do. Itís pretty straight forward (which can be a good or bad thing, depends on how you like to play games.)

Hey This Sounds Familiar
    Music: The music here is pretty good. Catchy and snappy. And hereís a fun fact for the music. The song in the level ďWizard PeakĒ, is used as the theme song for the Nickelodeon show The Amanda Show! How cool is that?
    The music is composed by Stewart Copeland.

Is This The Perfect Start to a Trilogy?
    Overall: Spyro the Dragon to this day, doesnít really hold up. As I said in the gameplay, the game feels empty and straightforward. Spyro canít do a whole lot, there isnít a whole lot to collect. It wonít take long to get done with the game or 100% it. Level design is pretty small in my opinion. Itís still fun to play, but the sequels are major improvements and much better, trust me.

Score: 3/5

120%*

I only played it when I was younger, but from what I remember, I completely agree. The only thing is if the game is that empty, wouldn't a 2/5 be a more appropriate score?