Chickaroo Reviews: Bayonetta (PS3)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews: Bayonetta (PS3)

Post by chickaroo1 »

Meet Bayonetta, a sassy and sexy cool bit- I mean witch. And she’s here to bring you a fun action packed game with style!

Game: Bayonetta
Systems: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
Release Dates: 10/29/09 (JP), 1/5/10 (NA), 1/7/10 (AUS), 1/8/10 (EU)
Developers: Platinum Games

The 500 Year Slumber
Story: Bayonetta is the story of a witch named (you guessed it) Bayonetta, who can shape-shift into many things as well as using her hair to summon demons as well as cover her whole body. She awakens from a 500 year sleep and coming out of a coma. As time goes on, she remembers part of her past.
Meanwhile, a guy named Luka knows Bayonetta since he was a kid and now might have a thing for her. She accidentally killed his father when Luka was a boy. Other characters include Jeanne, a rival to Bayonetta, a little girl named Cereza, a little girl who looks like a little kid version of Bayonetta. There's Rodin, the owner of the bar, the Gates of Hell where Bayonetta can buy and sell weapons and various items. And then there's Enzo, the comic relief.

The Coolest Video Game Female This Generation
Gameplay: The gameplay is much like the Devil May Cry or God of War series. With the over the top combos and attacks, it’s really cool. Bayonetta can use her guns, kick, twirl, do a whole lot, and even use her hair to attack, leaving her in the nude. She can also use “torture attacks” to finish off enemies in an over the top fashion. And if Bayonetta needs a drink and learn some new techniques or grab a lollipop, she can go to the Gates of Hell, ran by Rodin.
And then there’s the boss fights. These fights are way over the top with design. Well created.
The camera is a little slow as well as things take a while to load unless you install the game on your PS3. Don’t know much about the 360 version.

Sexy, But Laggy
Graphics: The graphics have a nice realistic look to them. Platinum Games seem to have a weird way to shape women in their games because Bayonetta has somewhat pointy boobs, big hips and long legs, making her look very tall (even without her high heels).
But with the PS3 version, it lags a bit. Which is just a shame for a game that is fast and action packed.
Cutscenes will sometime have the character models stand still as well as have transitions using rolls of films, giving it a graphic novel feel.

Let’s Dance, Boys!
Music:
I love this game’s soundtrack.
It’s jazzy, over the top, and will get your heart pumping and ready for a fight. From the relaxing track as you step in the Gates of Hell, to the over the top track “Let’s Dance, Boys!”, to the theme song “Fly Me to The Moon”. It’s a reallllly good soundtrack.

Let’s Hit the Climax!
Overall: Bayonetta is a great action game. It’s fun, it’s stylish, and it’s sexy. She herself is a badass. But with the PS3 version, it can lag as well as not be as smooth as possible. But overall, a really fun game.

4/5
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

Aye an excellent review! I stumbled upon Bayonetta on part from Kamiya via Twitter. For awhile it was tough to find in stock at any game store, until I found a brand new copy still in plastic. It was on sale for $20 I couldn't pass it up. Got home that same day, wrote back to some of the PG crew asking all sorts of questions. Its insane how much of an underdog this game was at first. Given enough time its become one of the biggest adventure platformers out there.

Btw the 360 version has lagtime, and odd screen tearing in various moments in-game. I think the engine tried to do too much at once, which is what causes the issue. The in-game engine is lovely to behold! Another note, gaining weaponry or outfits versus various enemies causes them to attack more aggressively