Worst Sonic songs?

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
PTKickass
Show DJ
Show DJ

Worst Sonic songs?

Post by PTKickass »

I think I can safely say that the Sonic franchise is full of great songs. But... what about the bad ones? Post below the worst Sonic songs that you can find!

PS: Try to not post the Sonic Chronicles OST :v
An adventure is no fun if it is too easy!
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I'm gonna be that guy and say Sonic Dark Brotherhood. Most of Shadow The Hedgehog soundtrack was pretty bad to.
voice
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by voice »

Most modern Sonic music suffers degraded quality because of these guys doing the sound work:
The attachment Wavemaster.jpg is no longer available
And why is that? Because they're guilty of being a player in a issue that is a current thing in the audio industry:

[video=youtube;3Gmex_4hreQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ[/video]

Listen at any music that has run through them and it looks and sounds like a mess of noise. Vocal's especially end up sounding bad, at least the copies of Live and Learn I have lead vocal is always crackly like the sound is being overdriven.
Attachments
Wavemaster.jpg
RSN Network: Website | RSN Live (Matrix)
Reach out to me via the RSN Matrix / IRC or the RadioSEGA IRC
Linux gamers represent!
PTKickass
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by PTKickass »

Gonic wrote:I'm gonna be that guy and say Sonic Dark Brotherhood. Most of Shadow The Hedgehog soundtrack was pretty bad to.
IMO, the Shadow the Hedgehog OST wasn't that bad. I mean, just look at G.U.N Fortress. That guitar... :3

- - - Updated - - -
voice wrote:Most modern Sonic music suffers degraded quality because of these guys doing the sound work:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1648[/ATTACH]

And why is that? Because they're guilty of being a player in a issue that is a current thing in the audio industry:

Listen at any music that has run through them and it looks and sounds like a mess of noise. Vocal's especially end up sounding bad, at least the copies of Live and Learn I have lead vocal is always crackly like the sound is being overdriven.
Never noticed that until now. Thanks for the info! I think I can see that problem in "Death Ruins" from the Shadow the Hedgehog OST.
An adventure is no fun if it is too easy!
voice
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by voice »

A little addon to explain what I mean by over driving, I've taken two songs as a example, since you were mentioning Shadow the Hedgehog I decided to grab Crush 40's Never Turn Back and compare it with another modern song The Fratelli's Baby Fratelli.
2.jpg
Look about the same noise-wise so lets go ahead and tell Audacity to show us any bits over driven:
2.jpg
As you can see, Crush 40's track turns into a sea of red. This is what I mean by Wavemaster degrading sound quality and they tend to be the worst of the bunch.

EDIT: Sorry, I still had GIMP open.
2.jpg
Attachments
wavshad.jpg
1.jpg
RSN Network: Website | RSN Live (Matrix)
Reach out to me via the RSN Matrix / IRC or the RadioSEGA IRC
Linux gamers represent!
Blueblur2006
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Blueblur2006 »

This Is Obvious, But Both Versions Of Sonic Boom And Every DS Game That's Not Rush 1 Or Colors DS.
Once Again, It's Obvious. But It Still Deserves To Be Mentioned.
Mikurotoro92
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mikurotoro92 »

voice wrote:Most modern Sonic music suffers degraded quality because of these guys doing the sound work:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1648[/ATTACH]

But that would mean most of Sega's OST's are bad quality because Wavemaster is the primary distribution label for Sega!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I generally feel like Sonic music has lost its quality with Sonic Colours having been the last game that had great ost. I can't help but feel like all the games afterwards just had generic happy music with no real spirit. Sure they were ok, but they weren't memorable like Crush 40 songs or the other lyrical bands.

Having said that, the only time I can safely say I was quite disappointed in a Sonic game's OST, would be for Sonic and the Secret Rings. Seven Rings in hand was horrible in both melody and lyrics (Even Crush 40 couldn't save the song from being bad) and the rest of the soundtrack didn't do too much to redeem itself. Let the Speed Mend it was probably ok but overall, I had a lot more hope as the game's theme meant I'd hear some sick arabian rock hybrid songs.
Mikurotoro92
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mikurotoro92 »

Quills on Wheels wrote:I generally feel like Sonic music has lost its quality with Sonic Colours having been the last game that had great ost. I can't help but feel like all the games afterwards just had generic happy music with no real spirit. Sure they were ok, but they weren't memorable like Crush 40 songs or the other lyrical bands.

Having said that, the only time I can safely say I was quite disappointed in a Sonic game's OST, would be for Sonic and the Secret Rings. Seven Rings in hand was horrible in both melody and lyrics (Even Crush 40 couldn't save the song from being bad) and the rest of the soundtrack didn't do too much to redeem itself. Let the Speed Mend it was probably ok but overall, I had a lot more hope as the game's theme meant I'd hear some sick arabian rock hybrid songs.

To be honest ALL VGM has turned to crap that's why I prefer mostly classic VGM (with some modern stuff)! VGM went to crap when it became nothing more then a derivative of movie music!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Mikurotoro92 wrote:To be honest ALL VGM has turned to crap that's why I prefer mostly classic VGM (with some modern stuff)! VGM went to crap when it became nothing more then a derivative of movie music!
Nah. I wouldn't go that far just yet. Depending on what they're going for, videogames can have some pretty amazing music. Even modern ones. From gigantic orchestrated symphonies to catchy hip hop beats. It's just Sonic music that I think has lost its charm ever since it took a turn for being more kids friendly and Mario-like.

Ultimately tho, I'm just saying that I miss Crush 40. :'(