Chickaroo Reviews - Crash Tag Team Racing (PS2)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Crash Tag Team Racing (PS2)

Post by chickaroo1 »

Another racing game? What new things can they do? Wait woah. Clashing cars?? This oughta be interesting!Game: Crash Tag Team Racing
Systems: PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube, PlayStation Portable
Release Dates: PS2 / Xbox: 10/19/05 (NA), 11/4/05 (EU), 12/1/05 (JP)
GC: 10/19/05 (NA), 11/11/05 (EU), 12/1/05 (JP)
PSP: 11/10/05 (NA), 11/25/05 (EU), 12/1/05 (JP)
Developers: Radical Entertainment
Gotta Save That Amusement Park
Story: While driving around and fighting each other, Crash, Coco, Crunch, Dr. Cortex, N-Gin and Nina end up driving into Von Clutch's MotorWorld, a theme park that’s about to close due to the power gems being stolen. The gang decides to help out Von Clutch get the crystals back and fix the park!
Platforming AND Racing AND Clashing?
Gameplay: The game is a mix of open world platformer and racing. You get to run around the theme park into different areas of the park that each have their own themes. From jungle island to fairy tales to dinosaurs and so much more. There are a total of 3 tracks per area and a total of 5 areas. So in short, a total of 15 tracks to race on.
The open world part is pretty neat. It’s kind of different from the norm of the Crash Bandicoot series, but it works. It’s a big hub world basically. It's also pretty hard to get lost in, but they are fun to explore. And boy is there lots to do. All the characters you can play as during the driving parts are standing around the park. They each want something they need for their new unlockable car or upgraded weapon. Some require certain items hidden in one of the parks or a certain amount of coins or a power crystal. In the parks, you can buy outfits for characters and Crash. Everyone has one buyable outfit and many outfits for Crash. Park workers are all over the place and will sell you the outfits or power crystals.
Now for the driving! The racing part is pretty good. The new gimmick this time is clashing. Clashing is where your car collides with another to make a super car where one person is in the back using weapons and such while the other one drives. Think of it like Mario Kart: Double Dash!! but kind of in an optional sense. You can choose not to clash with cars. Heck, you can just race through the entire track without clashing. It’s up to you. Each character has a different set of weapons they use when clashed. You can upgrade them after unlocking everyones’ cars. Each character has 3 cars in total.
Not only that, but you can play mini games as well! (Good lord this gameplay section is huge). The only mini game I remember is bowling a park worker. Yeah you can do that. There is lots to do in this game.
2005 At It’s Finest
Graphics: The graphics here aren’t that bad. It’s pretty good, especially in the cutscenes. Granted, during the game it can look pretty blurry or a bit choppy in some areas. But hey, it still looks good.
Hello? Can’t Hear You.
Music: The music is alright. During races it’s kind of hard to hear unless you turn down the sound effects and voices. But it’s still good.
The voice acting is also good too. The little one liners during races are hilarious sometimes.
Music is composed by Spiralmouth and Marc Baril.
Which is Better?
Overall: Crash Tag Team Racing is a really fun game. I have a lot of nostalgia with it. And it’s always nice to go back to a game you used to play all the time as a little kid. Running around the hub worlds are fine, but sometimes you just want to race. So it can be a while before you can do a race and stuff. But nonetheless, an awesome game. Give it a try!
4 / 5
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

Wow I remember this one, plus the music and level design were something else. Not many games were capable of reshaping a series like Crash. But it had the right idea, and it was worth it.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Good review. Yeah I loved this Crash game. This one along with Twinsanity were my favorite PS2 Crash games. One thing you probably forgot to mention was the awesome gags and short clips that would play when crash interacted with random objects and things, usually resulting in him dying or something. But they were so helarious haha.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Post by chickaroo1 »

DAMMIT OH MY GOD.
This review got realllllly lengthy so I kind of either forgot or cut corners ;^; but shit, I'm angry at myself for that augh.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

It's ok. You COULD add it still lol. But the review's still good.