Chickaroo Reviews - Mario Kart 64 (N64)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Mario Kart 64 (N64)

Post by chickaroo1 »

It’s Mario’s first 3D kart racing game! And as well as one of the best Nintendo 64 games! But does it still hold up? Well my friends, welcome to Mario Kart!Game: Mario Kart 64
Systems: Nintendo 64, Wii Virtual Console
Release Dates: N64: 12/14/96 (JP), 2/10/97 (NA), 6/24/97 (EU)
Wii VC: 1/25/07 (PAL), 1/29/07 (NA), 1/30/07 (JP)
Developers: Nintendo EAD
High-Speed 3D Action!
Gameplay: Like every other Mario Kart game, you can just jump right into the game and play. There’s the usual Grand Prix with 50cc, 100cc and 150cc (which is the difficulty of the CPU racers). There are a total of 8 characters to race as. They each have their own stats such as light, medium and heavy.
Now for the racing. The driving is pretty good. It’s very responsive and controls very well. There are little rainbow boxes you can run through to get an item to use against your opponents. There are banana peels, shells, speed mushrooms and stars to use as you zip around the track. Drifting in this game is pretty good, but you don’t get a boost from it like in the later games.
There are a total of 16 tracks and 4 cups (or 5 if you count mirror mode). They’re all unique and very memorable. From the hellish Bowser’s Castle to the freaking long but beautiful Rainbow Road to the deep jungles of DK’s Jungle Parkway. They’re all a lot of fun to race around in.
Early Looking?
Graphics: This game does look good on the 64, but I heard some complaints that the game used billboard sprites (to which I don’t know what that mean haha). But the game does look like it came out earlier in the Nintendo 64’s life cycle. But hey it was cool back in the day.
Iconic and Memorable
Music: The soundtrack is pretty good and is very memorable to some. From the demonic sounds of Bowser’s Castle to the magical sound of Rainbow Road, to just about anything. It’s a very good soundtrack that is very memorable.
Music is composed by Kenta Nagata.
Fun Times In The 90’s
Overall: Mario Kart 64 is an all-around great time. The racing is fun afn the tracks are amazing. Playing this game with friends is also a lot of fun or can test your friendship with them.
4 / 5
supershadow01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supershadow01 »

As fun as Mario Kart 64 was, I always thought Diddy Kong Racing was better. It was faster, the graphics were better, the music was probably more memorable, and it had a pretty good story. Both were amazing, although DKR was vastly underrated.
"If the world chooses to become my enemy...I will fight like I always have!" -Shadow, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Spawn of Jack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Spawn of Jack »

I always preferred Diddy Kong Racing overall. Although I gotta say the Mario Kart 64 Rainbow Road was and still is pure magic.
Proud Shump Chump
supershadow01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supershadow01 »

Right. I was glad to see it make a comeback in Mario Kart 8. However, it was a lot shorter than in the original. My favorite music track in MK64 is the ending credits theme. I feel like it should have been in an anime show of Mario Kart 64 (lol).
"If the world chooses to become my enemy...I will fight like I always have!" -Shadow, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Spawn of Jack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Spawn of Jack »

Anyway, pretty good review you have here. Would you be willing to review some Turbo Grafx/Pc Engine Games? They have quite a few on the Virtual Console if you play them there.
Proud Shump Chump
supershadow01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supershadow01 »

With all the mention of Diddy Kong Racing, has anyone reviewed that game yet? I'd like to read your thoughts on that one.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Post by chickaroo1 »

Spawn of Jack wrote:Anyway, pretty good review you have here. Would you be willing to review some Turbo Grafx/Pc Engine Games? They have quite a few on the Virtual Console if you play them there.
I have seen some interesting games under the Turbo Grafx section. I'll see if I can get a game or two soon. I'd like to play some.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Post by chickaroo1 »

supershadow01 wrote:With all the mention of Diddy Kong Racing, has anyone reviewed that game yet? I'd like to read your thoughts on that one.
I do remember playing the DS version years ago. I thought it was alright buuuut I was a young ignorant child at the time. If I can find it, so yeah I'll review it if I can get it.
Spawn of Jack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Spawn of Jack »

I would highly recommend the original N64 Diddy Kong Racing over the DS version, it just didn't feel right to me. Also, since we're on the topic of great n64 racers, the Snowboard Kids series is truly fantastic.
Proud Shump Chump