Student Protests in the UK

What it says on the tin...
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote: I think that history will look back on these protests as justified though. After all, the politicians that passed this bill all got their educations for free. It is the old robbing from the young, and when our generation is a bit older hopefully that will be how the story goes.
I hope not. Just because someone's been nasty to you it doesn't give you the right to be nasty to others. Ideally people would fix the mistakes and wrongs of the past.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I don't understand the analogy. I don't think you realise the true gravity of what has happened. We've all been robbed. By the banks, by the rich and now by the politicians. If being nasty is the only way to get the message across then so be it. It's not just about the fees, the recession has only consolidated wealth into a smaller pocket of rich people, and that was helped by the government bailing out the banks (you know those people who have been repo'ing everyone's stuff for the last few years?). And now we are paying back the money that helped the banks take land and property from the masses. It's like the world is being reversed back to the 20th century when everything was run by the Rothschilds. It's a real turning point, and anyone who was not on the side of the protestors will be seen in the same way as Nazi sympathisers in WW2.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote:I don't understand the analogy. I don't think you realise the true gravity of what has happened. We've all been robbed. By the banks, by the rich and now by the politicians. If being nasty is the only way to get the message across then so be it. It's not just about the fees, the recession has only consolidated wealth into a smaller pocket of rich people, and that was helped by the government bailing out the banks (you know those people who have been repo'ing everyone's stuff for the last few years?). And now we are paying back the money that helped the banks take land and property from the masses. It's like the world is being reversed back to the 20th century when everything was run by the Rothschilds. It's a real turning point, and anyone who was not on the side of the protestors will be seen in the same way as Nazi sympathisers in WW2.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, so why don't we change all that? That's what I'm saying. ^__^
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Oh yeah, because democracy works so well when one of the parties pushing this bill through had a pledge to scrap fees, let alone raise them. Fuck it lads, call of the protest and lets have a good old debate about this in the library over a horlicks.

The system is fucked. There is no other way to change things. This violence is the perfectly appropriate response to people's frustrations.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote:Oh yeah, because democracy works so well when one of the parties pushing this bill through had a pledge to scrap fees, let alone raise them. Fuck it lads, call of the protest and lets have a good old debate about this in the library over a horlicks.

The system is fucked. There is no other way to change things. This violence is the perfectly appropriate response to people's frustrations.
I agree with you completely, which is why we need to change the system.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Alright, but you can't just say that. Let's have this grand plan then.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote:Alright, but you can't just say that. Let's have this grand plan then.
I'm more of a "get the ball rolling" kind of guy. ^__^
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

You're probably impeding things though, as you're moaning at the people who actually give a bollocks and are out there fighting for something. A bit of violence is a fair price to pay for this amount of impact. This protest has had more exposure than anything since the poll tax riots.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

You have a good point. I suppose it's all down to the fact that I've resigned myself to that that I can't change the world for everyone, but, I do know that I can make the world better. Not for everyone, but I can change it for the better at least one person. And if I managed to make the world better for just one person then I'll feel like I have achieved something in life.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

The thing is though, this has needed to happen for years now. It's similar to the public sector job cuts that are starting to take effect.

Roll back like 30 years and you only went to university after you'd worked. If you were working as a plumbing assistant for a few years, the company would sponser you to go through. It's only recently that the government decided every kid and his pet fish should come out with some university degree.

The irony is that in doing so they've totally cheapened the system. Where we used to have maybe 20 or so universities we now have hundreds! Every half assed college now branding themselves as a university and handing out degrees that, in the real world, hardly stack up.

What needs to be done is very simple:

You want to study art/philosiphy? Great, pay for it yourself you freeloading jerk

You want to study mechanical engineering? Oh shit, we actually hardly have any of those in the UK right now, we'll give you a grant and put you through at a cheaper rate.

We shouldn't be paying for everyone to get a useless degree, we should be paying for UK kids to get degrees that will later allow them to get jobs in areas where, at the moment, we have to encourage immigrants to do it.

There, that's university sorted.