Sonic Generations

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Reknoc wrote:I'm literally way too drunk to care about anyone else's posts but this one stuck out. Yea, no, pandering to the fans was obviously the worst choice Nintendo could make, that's why new super mario brothers is one of the best selling games. SEGA need this shit, it's about time they looked at someone better than them.
Yeah, but Nintendo doesn't tend to listen to the right nutters in their fanbase. SEGA seemingly does.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

I think that's there problem if anything the fact that there always trying to please there fanbase. It's well too splintered. Too many people fanatically loving completely different things about Sonic. Everytime they try and pander to one group another group kicks off and so on and so on. They need to just stop listening and concentrate on making a good game. Fuck everything else.
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

Alright, time to really coin my thoughts on this while waiting for my food to cool off:

Now, this is the issue. We're talking about a 20 sec-ish teaser with pre and post-Adventure Sonic's, running around in circles. Before you think of judging, remember this is an anniversary game, and with chubby Sonic in it, it's most likely a compilation from Sonic 1 to probably Sonic Adventure 2, not sure. (rumours, mind)

And obviously SEGA only wants the fanbase to be happy. Which is wrong in every way. Example, Kaito's post:
Kaito-kun wrote:Edit (Again): Perhaps I should expand a little further: Any company with sense would have ignored the lot who were stuck in the past and said "Grow up and deal with it or move on, you weird little obsessives." Pandering to their level is just pathetic, it's as if SEGA don't have the balls to say no to or risk losing even the worst dregs of their fanbase.

Edit (Yet Again): I'm not saying it'll be a bad game. I'm not saying it'll be a good game. I just think SEGA's over eager desire to try and please everyone - even the stupidest, whiniest section of their fanbase - is ridiculous.
He's kinda right in here, for example Capcom. They released Megaman 9 out of the blue in 2008, fans demanded another 8-bit Megaman game, and what's born out of it? Megaman 10. It may be good, but it's still mediocre.

But there's successful exceptions to it, like Super Street Fighter IV and Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. Fans both demanded those, and they were both released with more content besides more characters or a compilation of 20+ clones.

And of course, Nintendo is the prime example of fanbase pleasing. Since Super Mario 64, all fans of Mario were happy with the new feature, like the F.L.U.D.D in Super Mario Sunshine or the Star Bits in Galaxy and even Yoshi in a 3D game in Galaxy 2. Nintendo innovates, even if the games are the same. And if they are, they try to make it more fun for themselfs and to the fanbase.

Case in point, SEGA needs to break the mold, make a Sonic game that's NOT a rehash of Adventure or insert any gimmicks, and nothing like the Classics. A mix of the two or even a new formula of gameplay would be nice. And yes, Sonic 4 may be good, but it was a foul play by them, because they tinted the classics because, yet again, by the fanbase.
Biggest sonic fan wrote:Atleast some people give SEGA a chance. When I check other website comments, they all say nice stuff, but this place... it's a shame that positive minded people are so few in this forum. Most of you are all half empty glasses.
I think a member here posted a link about the types of Sonic fanbases, and they ALL make the franchise look bad. If Mario had a similar one, it would be a mess. What SEGA needs to do is ignore the comments of the fanbase, ask for constructive criticism from intelligent people and make a game based on that feedback.
I live here now!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I kinda feel sorry for SEGA. They are in a crisis here. They have just started to improve and they are probably all stressed because they want this chance they have not to go down hill. Kinda reminds me of my times having My Exams at year 5. If you passed those exams, you could study in very high class schools for your middle school years (6-8).

Still, your words aren't all completely wrong. There is some truth in there. SEGA needs to grow up. Forget everything and create Something new. (though I still would have liked a Sonic Adventure 3).
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

SEGA don't need to reinvent the wheel here. Sonic 4 and Sonic Colours are almost the right idea. Sonic 4 wasn't bad because they tried to pander to the old fanbase, it was bad because dimps lacked the ability or skill to make a good game. Whereas Sonic Colours stuck to what Sonic is now and seems to have made quite a few people happy.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Why do I have a feeling that SEGA is trying to copy Mario's 25th anniversary pack idea?
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Because everyone copies Nintendo.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Biggest sonic fan wrote:Why do I have a feeling that SEGA is trying to copy Mario's 25th anniversary pack idea?
If it was they'd still fuck it up somehow.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Anyway by the trailer you can tell its PROBABLY going to be like Sonic Unleashed/Colors with levels based on popular zones. You can see him do that stomp attack (Same sound effect also), sliding and drifting.
Really liked looking at the background seeing how greenhill will look like in 3D.

EDIT: Happy?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

It's going to be? Oh well okay then, yea I guess you can tell that from the really specific trailer.