Student Protests in the UK

What it says on the tin...
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I do partially agree with you Rayne, there should definitely be more focus on degrees that actually benefit society, such as science, medical, engineering, etc.

But, what the old government did was make University more accessible for those that couldn't afford it. Before, it was only really the rich that could afford to get such an education.

Students do pay back their loans and fees over time though.

Personally speaking, I wish I had chosen to study something at University which would have more benefit to society, rather than games design. But, it's certainly helped me develop myself a lot more than just the course itself. It helps educate you in other ways, if you apply yourself enough.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

What do you mean only the rich could get degrees before the current system? My parents, normal working class people, had all their fees and accomodation paid for by grants. They didn't end up with a penny of debt.

The previous system detered the mediocre, not the poor.
Tic Tac, sir?
Retrix
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Retrix »

The BBC / Open University's More Or Less radio show recently covered this, and I thought it was rather interesting:
moreorless_20101210-1528a.mp3
Among other things it suggests the income threshold and fee levels will be such that many students, particularly arts students, may never even pay off the full loans before they are written off after 30 years.
There was an echidna from Vegas
Whose hairstyle was totally outrageous
When asked by the cops
Why the dreadlocks
He told them the idea was Sega's

​— The Typing of the Dead
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Killer French Bread wrote:The previous system detered the mediocre, not the poor.
This, it was open to those determined enough to work hard and secure the funding they needed.

@Cap - It's not a personal tirade against you, it's that just about everyone I know that's went to uni is a complete waster studying drama or some shite. For some it's a growing up experience, which is fine, for most of the people I see it's more of a drinking contest with occasional exams getting in the way
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

But surely that system only worked for people who were already in employment? Some jobs require degrees before experience usually, like becoming a doctor. My parents worked in craft-related jobs or mining, they never went to University, partly because I don't think they were encouraged to.

Rayne, don't worry, I'm not taking this discussion personally or anything :P In my case, I did go to Uni to see what it was all about and partly because no one in my family had, not because I was trying to work towards a particular career path. But, that doesn't mean I've just coasted through the past two and a half years having fun. Even my degree, which is actually pretty easy compared to the 'core' subjects, is a lot of hard work.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Nah, the degrees were paid for by government grants when they left school. They did get their masters degrees paid for by employers later in life though. So they got it good both ways in the end.
Tic Tac, sir?
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

So.. They had it better than us, basically? :P
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Yeah, which is why I support the protests and don't understand your point that now is the best time ever for poor students.
Tic Tac, sir?
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Well, now certainly isn't.
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

I just want to point out that is thread is great.

I was in the pub a while back and I was talking to a young copper about riots, I asked him if he really thought that 'kettling' was a viable tactic as I think it's one of the most stupid things you can do to group of non violent people. For the sake of people who dont know what I mean by 'kettling' Its where police split up a group of large people (usual in a cross formation) and keep them enclosed. This is apparently to split up radicals and stop them organising and rioting. Of course this has side effects... what do you guys think? Has this happened to anyone?
Anyways I feel for anyone wanting to go to uni next year.
Host of ClubSEGA - A show about the arcade scene and SEGA arcade games.
Wednesday at 8pm UK/WET - 9pm CEST- 3pm EST - 12pm PST