Anime & Manga Discussion

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

So I apologize for my ignorance in advance if I am being that but recently I'd just been thinking about the current big shounen anime. Now I only watch Naruto Shippuden mind you so me forming an opinnion over another show is pretty worthless but personally, I need my shows to have an ending of some sort. To reach a conclusion. Without one, the show feels empty and aimless for me. This is kind of why I can never truly get into comics, for example, because despite really wanting to read something like the Archie Sonic series, there feels no real point when it doesn't end.

So coming back to anime, despite the rediculous slow pace, I've been pretty happy with Naruto because the show's story has always shown progress and the plot has developed and evolved and changed etc. I could imagine the same has and had always happened with other giants that came and went. Dragon ball, fairy tail, bleach...

...But for the love of God, why is One Piece STILL running and not just that but still going strong too! I mean, am I missing here something? Isn't the plot still the same thing from the beginning. Of trying to find that treasure thingo and become the pirate king. Well he sure as hell seems to be still doing that with only his crew getting larger and the fighting getting bigger and bigger. Like I know there are still many emotional moments and I've heard things such as Luffy's brother's death (spoilers... I guess?) and etc but is the show really ever evolving as far as plot goes or is the huge fanbase just there for the combat?

...like it just feels like the show is going nowhere. The only other show I'm even more amazed to see running still is Detective Conan.
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

I have been told by my friends who also love DB that to imagine DBGT never existed at this point. That's what I plan to do.
Reknoc wrote:Toei have always been a by the numbers low quality anime creator, DBZ itself was not exactly a looker. Not seen Super yet though since I'm waiting on the dub, but it seems episode 4 is the only one people are having a problem with? Not that surprised though, even Battle of Gods looked not great and Toei usually put some effort into their movies.

edit: also I guess all the new DBZ stuff (Battle of Gods, Resurrection of F and Super) basically shit on GT by introducing stuff like new important characters, god saiyan and super god super saiyan super or whatever the fuck they added in F.
There can be only one Sonic! Metal Sonic is the real Sonic! Long live Metal Sonic!
Metal Sonic is the best! Death to all who oppose Metal Sonic! Metal Sonic rocks!

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Quills on Wheels wrote:So I apologize for my ignorance in advance if I am being that but recently I'd just been thinking about the current big shounen anime. Now I only watch Naruto Shippuden mind you so me forming an opinnion over another show is pretty worthless but personally, I need my shows to have an ending of some sort. To reach a conclusion. Without one, the show feels empty and aimless for me. This is kind of why I can never truly get into comics, for example, because despite really wanting to read something like the Archie Sonic series, there feels no real point when it doesn't end.

So coming back to anime, despite the rediculous slow pace, I've been pretty happy with Naruto because the show's story has always shown progress and the plot has developed and evolved and changed etc. I could imagine the same has and had always happened with other giants that came and went. Dragon ball, fairy tail, bleach...

...But for the love of God, why is One Piece STILL running and not just that but still going strong too! I mean, am I missing here something? Isn't the plot still the same thing from the beginning. Of trying to find that treasure thingo and become the pirate king. Well he sure as hell seems to be still doing that with only his crew getting larger and the fighting getting bigger and bigger. Like I know there are still many emotional moments and I've heard things such as Luffy's brother's death (spoilers... I guess?) and etc but is the show really ever evolving as far as plot goes or is the huge fanbase just there for the combat?

...like it just feels like the show is going nowhere. The only other show I'm even more amazed to see running still is Detective Conan.
One Piece is about the journey, not the destination. It's set up so that Luffy has to navigate around the world and stop off on islands along the way, with each island having its own story or being part of a larger arc. I mean you can't be the King of the Pirates just by finding some dudes old ass treasure, he has to gain experience and a crew, it's like a JRPG! Plus Oda is good about leaving story threads hanging that we still need tying up like; The Seven Warlords, The Four Emperors (though it looks like we're at the Kaido arc now, Big Mom is still a mystery), The Supernovas (especially Kidd), and the secret history. One Piece is never just about Luffy becoming the Pirate King.
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

I finally went to see Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F and it was AMAZING!!! (Imo at least) I love the music and the action! (especially since there was less introduction and more action unlike DBZ:BoG)
There can be only one Sonic! Metal Sonic is the real Sonic! Long live Metal Sonic!
Metal Sonic is the best! Death to all who oppose Metal Sonic! Metal Sonic rocks!

TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

What's the current arc in One Piece anyway? Are they still in Dressrosa?
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Reknoc wrote:One Piece is about the journey, not the destination. It's set up so that Luffy has to navigate around the world and stop off on islands along the way, with each island having its own story or being part of a larger arc. I mean you can't be the King of the Pirates just by finding some dudes old ass treasure, he has to gain experience and a crew, it's like a JRPG! Plus Oda is good about leaving story threads hanging that we still need tying up like; The Seven Warlords, The Four Emperors (though it looks like we're at the Kaido arc now, Big Mom is still a mystery), The Supernovas (especially Kidd), and the secret history. One Piece is never just about Luffy becoming the Pirate King.
I suppose that makes sense. I stopped watching One Piece many years ago in the arc where they were in that Sky cloud city thing and I remember all the equipment being sea shells and stuff.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

TheChaosBlue wrote:What's the current arc in One Piece anyway? Are they still in Dressrosa?
It's hard to say because One Piece has gotten really unfocused recently, Dressrosa is pretty much wrapping up though, just the half of the crew that was there escaping, and some pre-arc setup stuff with Kaidou and the other half of the crew with Ceaser.
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

I've been wanting to watch every episode of One Piece. I haven't seen it since it aired on Toonami when I was a kid.

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Alpha Dog 1996 wrote:I've been wanting to watch every episode of One Piece. I haven't seen it since it aired on Toonami when I was a kid.
I wouldn't recommend that. I'm a huge One Piece fan, but the anime is pretty terrible, even at its best there's a bunch of terrible filler and then the whole thing gets pretty much unbearable after a certain arc as they suddenly decide 1:1 episodes are a good idea (protip: adapting 1 19 page chapter into a 1 25min episode is not a good idea). Read the manga, watch the movies honestly. There are some good stuff in the tv anime but... not nearly enough to warrant the time it takes to watch that shit.
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

I liked what I saw when I watched it haha but I will definitely keep that in mind since it has been the longest time :)
Reknoc wrote:I wouldn't recommend that. I'm a huge One Piece fan, but the anime is pretty terrible, even at its best there's a bunch of terrible filler and then the whole thing gets pretty much unbearable after a certain arc as they suddenly decide 1:1 episodes are a good idea (protip: adapting 1 19 page chapter into a 1 25min episode is not a good idea). Read the manga, watch the movies honestly. There are some good stuff in the tv anime but... not nearly enough to warrant the time it takes to watch that shit.