Social Networks Thread

What it says on the tin...
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Crow »

Here's my Facebook, if anyone is interested.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Quick update: Twitter Tumblr
(Ditched Facebook)
Atrias
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Atrias »

Faster than the speed of sound, sneaker wearing, chilli dog eating hedgehog with a penchant for industrial scale vandalism, animal activism and jewellery theft. Seems legit.

Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

"Steamy twit face" I had to lol at that.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

So it's true that employers will now poke through your Facebook and Twitter profiles to see what you're "really like"?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Dr Shaneman wrote:So it's true that employers will now poke through your Facebook and Twitter profiles to see what you're "really like"?
Well, yeah, that's been the case for a while now. Hence why privacy settings are good thing to know. Some employers will even try to convince you to give them your username and password. (Which of course is illegal, I think.)
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

My workplace actually had to state that making comments about them on social networks is considered to be akin to gross misconduct.

So...yeah, you could quite easily get sacked for saying you had a shit day at work, if you happen to name the company at the same time XD
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

So much for freedom of expression eh?
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Yeah. I suppose they have a point though - if what you're writing could be misconstrued as being an attack against your employer, then I guess they're well within their rights to do something about it.

I do have a problem with them gaining access to your account without your prior knowledge though, especially if you've got fairly watertight privacy settings. That's wrong.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

There was a time when online meant squat in real life though. It's gotten way more serious the last couple of years. I blame all the cyber bullying for that though. In my mind it started all the seriousness to social networking.

The thing that irritates me though is if you have just one (for example) photo of you on your profile that your were either drunk, doing something silly, or whatever in then it can completely screw up your chance of getting a job in some companies.
I heard all this on a Radio 1 interview with one of the Dragons as she explained what employers now look for on your profiles.
Surely everyone has the right to the odd few drunken moments right?