MMORPG's

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:I know what you mean, I spent a while looking for a different MMO, which is why I settled on Aion and Star Trek. Aion for the flying and flight-based combat, and Star Trek for the universe as well as the ship combat, which is actually really well done.

Most of the problems with what you've mentioned in regards to gameplay mechanics and questing are found in a lot of single player RPG's though, do you enjoy normal RPG's more, or less?

I think the problem with graphics is then being PC based, although some, like Aion, are getting graphical updates in the future.

Actually, this reminds me of Guild Wars 2. From the news that I have gathered around, it sounds like they're really trying to reinvent the MMO experience, so it may be worth keeping an eye on!
Well single player games can bounce back thanks to a more involved storyline, in a single player you're the one that saves the world, in an MMORPG you're some guy. To be fair I only enjoy RPG's with a different/unique battle system, Star Ocean IV having the best I've played in recent years.

I was going to give up and play Phantasy Star: Blue Burst but that appears to have been taken offline
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Runescape

:3
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Rayne wrote:Well single player games can bounce back thanks to a more involved storyline, in a single player you're the one that saves the world, in an MMORPG you're some guy. To be fair I only enjoy RPG's with a different/unique battle system, Star Ocean IV having the best I've played in recent years.

I was going to give up and play Phantasy Star: Blue Burst but that appears to have been taken offline
That's true. But sometimes when I play a single player RPG, I think "Amassing all these items is worthless, I can't sell them or show them off!".

Have you tried Resonance of Fate? The storyline is somewhat confusing and typically Japanese, but the battle system is very unique, tis an awesome game.

You can technically still play Blue Burst if you feel like joining some private servers. The best one I've seen is the SCHTHACK server, which is free and pretty cool!

Matty, my old room mate was addicted to RuneScape, it was the online MMO he would play, and now he's an intern with Jagex, doing what he loves :biggrin:
ShadowPhantom
level 11
level 11

Post by ShadowPhantom »

I used to play Runescape, but I got bored of it after a while. My account is still active however and I do sometimes come on for the Christmas parties. I like throwing snowballs at random players.

I currently play Wizard101; an MMORPG for all ages. Basically you get to play a young wizard who goes to Ravenwood school of Magic. There are six schools you can choose from: Fire, Ice, Myth, Storm, Life and Death. The old Death school professor has turned evil and is plotting to take over the spiral (all of the different worlds of the game). I actually find it really fun to play. The combat system is turn-based, and your attacks are spells from a card deck. Quite clever if you ask me. Plus the worlds differ greatly. Their newest one coming out this year is going to be completely underwater!

http://www.wizard101.com/game

As for regular RPGs, I play the latest edition of Fate, which is currently Fate: The Traitor Soul.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

So I've been keeping an eye on DC Universe Online, mostly because it's due a PS3 release alongside a PC release. I was a bit unsure until I saw this trailer:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/75535 ... 72410.html

That alone has completely sold me
Adam Novagen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Adam Novagen »

Rayne wrote:Well single player games can bounce back thanks to a more involved storyline, in a single player you're the one that saves the world, in an MMORPG you're some guy. To be fair I only enjoy RPG's with a different/unique battle system, Star Ocean IV having the best I've played in recent years.

BIN-GO!!! THE SINGLE FLAW IN ALL MMORPGS, EVEN THE ONE I ENJOY AND PLAY!!!

When someone has saved the world... Received a legendary, one-of-a-kind item... Been through Hell and back to protect the Gods... Why is every other shmuck and their mother's uncle able to do the exact same thing? :D

What we NEED is an MMO wherein certain quests can ONLY BE COMPLETED ONCE IN THE GAME'S WORLD. When someone becomes a hero, they're the hero, period, and they made it while the rest didn't.

The only flaw with this is that the ones who'd succeed first would probably just be the powergamer types, the ones only concerned with maximum stat boosting rather than actually getting involved with the game itself and its storyline. You know the type, they're the annoying ones that everyone loves to hate, the ones that brag about how easy the game is, then complain that they're bored. XD

Solution? Judge players based on their merits and performance as a person, as well as their talents within the game. This, however, would require HUMAN OBSERVATION. An MMO with an almost Big-Brother like staff of observers. And we all know no company's ever gonna spend the time or money to make THAT happen. :p
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

World of Warcraft had events that only ever happened once. The thing is MMORPGs aren't scripted RPGs. Do you think that once the Elites win in a Halo match that map should never be played again because the Elites won? MMORPGs aren't really about the story they're about teaming up with friends and other people to take down hard enemies, and doing it again for phat loots.

Star Wars Galaxies had it so people would randomly gain the force, but that's a fucking stupid way to do something, essentially cutting off gameplay because people aren't willing to devote their entire life to it. Even Blizzard have understood that, all expansions have effects on low level players and they even made it easier to level up anyway.

When you think of D&D as the originator of RPGs then in a way MMORPGs are almost (rather sadly) the truest type of RPG.
Adam Novagen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Adam Novagen »

Reknoc wrote:World of Warcraft had events that only ever happened once. The thing is MMORPGs aren't scripted RPGs. Do you think that once the Elites win in a Halo match that map should never be played again because the Elites won? MMORPGs aren't really about the story they're about teaming up with friends and other people to take down hard enemies, and doing it again for phat loots.

Star Wars Galaxies had it so people would randomly gain the force, but that's a fucking stupid way to do something, essentially cutting off gameplay because people aren't willing to devote their entire life to it. Even Blizzard have understood that, all expansions have effects on low level players and they even made it easier to level up anyway.

When you think of D&D as the originator of RPGs then in a way MMORPGs are almost (rather sadly) the truest type of RPG.
Fair points all. Don't forget, though, I said CERTAIN quests. Otherwise there's no real feeling of reward, ultimately, since even the greatest of MMO quests pales if everyone else can finish it too. You're not on the mountain top if the rest of the world's standing right there with you. ;)
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Adam Novagen wrote:Fair points all. Don't forget, though, I said CERTAIN quests. Otherwise there's no real feeling of reward, ultimately, since even the greatest of MMO quests pales if everyone else can finish it too. You're not on the mountain top if the rest of the world's standing right there with you. ;)
But MMORPGs aren't about that. They're not about you they're about everyone.

To be fair alot of singleplayer RPGs don't give you the recognition you deserve.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Actually I was thinking about this, and some MMO's make you feel like you're a part of a vast army, and that's pretty cool.

Like in RF Online with had race vs race vs race style PvP, before it shut down. There were three playable races, all fighting each other to get control of a central chip. Your own race would have to work together to get the chip, and control of the chip would give you access to the mines for ore which would be worth a lot and bring the race economy up. You could earn points for PvP kills and those with the highest became the race leaders who would guide the others, tactics wise, within the chat window.

Obviously some groups worked together better than others and it was hard to get a good balance between the three races, but it was fun, made you feel part of a team, fighting a war.