What's your favourite console generation?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...

What's your favourite console generation?

1st (Odyssey, Pong)
No votes
2nd (2600, 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision)
No votes
3rd (NES/Famicon, Master System, 7800)
3%
4th (Turbo Graphix-16/PC Engine, Mega Drive/Genesis, Neo Geo, SNES/Super Famicon)
28%
5th (3DO, CD32, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64)
31%
6th (Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube)
28%
7th (Xbox 360, Wii, PS3)
10%

Total votes: 29

Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Gonic wrote:I meant in sales (should really of said) Game wise, it started great but now...>_>
It started out with Mario 64, can you get any better? I couldn't personally find much that appealed to me a few years after that though...the technology peaked pretty quickly and it was useless when it came to certain genres (FPS, Fighters, etc)

The DS is really fun to collect for though, there's hundreds of games and many of them are a right pain in the ass to find
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Rayne wrote: The DS is really fun to collect for though, there's hundreds of games and many of them are a right pain in the ass to find
Side note: Rayne's favourite DS game is Kira Kira Pop Princess.

Back on topic; I picked the one with the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube, for reasons that everyone else has already stated; mainly that they had enough third party exclusives to make them each worth buying and that it was before online gameplay with microphones made us realise how much we detest the rest of humanity.
Demonium
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Demonium »

I voted for 4th Generation, because it's the generation i grow up with. So many memories with so great games like Shinobi (Shinobi 3 is SICK!), Streets Of Rage, Zero Tolerance, Herzog Zwei, Dune, Contra - the hard corps (best contra in my opinion), Sonic, Golden Axe, Street Fighter 2, Mortal Combat and many other. I ENJOYED to this era of gaming, this was the time when the games was really entertaining and fun. I still love 2D gaming and play my Mega Drive alone and with friends(streets of rage is still fun today). When 3D graphics enter the games i was shocked how terrible and ugly looking they are. Everyone says that this is much more realistic, but for me it was just ugly geometry and i was angry about the dying of 2D games(For example compare Mortal Combat 3 Ultimate with MK 4, which one is more realistic?). Saturn was my hope for 2D gaming, but sadly they also followed the "Fashion".
Behind the 4th generation is 3th because of the NES games i played in my early childhood and on the 3rd place is 6th generation because of the Dreamcast greatness.
vice86
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vice86 »

I voted 4th and 5th gen.

Genesis...it was always fun to see how an arcade game would be translated to the Genesis...most of the time it wasn't that great especially driving games but it was still fun.

Saturn...since my favorite games are racing and I loved Daytona I was really psyched about the Saturn release...finally a 3D system. Still one of my favorite consoles and Daytona was my fav game on it.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Out of interest, what do you guys think is the worst generation?
vice86
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vice86 »

Rayne wrote:Out of interest, what do you guys think is the worst generation?
Other than how great racing games look today...don't really care for today's generation. I have more fun playing MAME32...but also, Gen 1&2 suck just cuz the games look horrible.
Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

Rayne wrote:Out of interest, what do you guys think is the worst generation?
If I'm honest, I think this generation's the worst, the developers couldn't give a toss about the quality of the games, they just want money.
Sure, the industry is bigger than ever, but that's exactly the problem, the movie and music industries have the same problem, and gaming has gone just as big if not bigger then those.

EDIT: Do you guys think I should make a new topic for this?
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Probably a good idea mate :)
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

For favourite generation, there's too many.

I could say the Master System generation, cos that's the console that got me into gaming, but then I could say the MD one, cos of how many awesome games it had. Dreamcast gen, thinking that I was seeing the future, and also because DC had some of my favourite games ever, or maybe this gen, because I've turned into a right Achievement whore (but I'm not as bad as some people on here RAYNE!)

I'll go away and have a think, but this is a toughie.
Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

Gavvie wrote:For favourite generation, there's too many.

I could say the Master System generation, cos that's the console that got me into gaming, but then I could say the MD one, cos of how many awesome games it had. Dreamcast gen, thinking that I was seeing the future, and also because DC had some of my favourite games ever, or maybe this gen, because I've turned into a right Achievement whore (but I'm not as bad as some people on here RAYNE!)

I'll go away and have a think, but this is a toughie.

Well, I DID accedently made it multiple choice, so you can vote them all if you want.
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".