Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Best and Worst Characters

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Actually on reflection that was overly harsh, somewhere underneath all the faults there is a very playable game. I think the subspacesomethingorotherpeperamisausage mode is very long and very boring but the rest of it is good enough.

The difference in super moves (or whatever they're called) is shocking though. Compare Snake's super to, say, Kirby's or Links.
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

Rayne wrote:So aside from the rabid fanboy, we're fairly agreed it's unbalanced then? Good.
I'm not a rabid fanboy, just not a stupid basher who doesn't even look into the game indepth. Of course the game sucks when you play the single player campaign and judge the game based on that shit. You gonna say Tekken 6 is a shitty beat em up without ever touching the multiplayer, too, like the Irategamer did?

Yea man, frigging hot, you're like the Irate gamer. That's an accomplishment. Congrats.

Also:
Rayne wrote:The ammount of clone characters is also pretty embarassing. 3 Landmasters? Really?
Heavily laughing at this one. Wow, you have NO idea.
"The sub-structure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components. Behind atoms we find electrons - and behind electrons, quarks. Each layer unravelled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries."
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, For I Have Tasted The Fruit
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I thought Tekken 6 *was* a shitty beat 'em up or at least had one? Not that I would know, never liked Tekken.
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

Reknoc wrote:I thought Tekken 6 *was* a shitty beat 'em up or at least had one? Not that I would know, never liked Tekken.
Yea, the story campaign is a shitty beat em up.

The actual gameplay (aka versus) is a 3D-based fighting game. Since both are Namco titles, it's kinda like Soul Calibur, just without weapons and martial arts instead.
"The sub-structure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components. Behind atoms we find electrons - and behind electrons, quarks. Each layer unravelled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries."
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Tekken 6 is a masterful fighting game, the single player campaign is utterly attoricious mind.

And what's wrong with the Clone Characters? A skin change and altering one attack? When you have the library and history of nintendo why do they resort to cloning so many characters? Why not have Krystal from Starfox Adventures with that stick thing? That'd at least play fairly differently.
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

If you think the characters are "clones" just because they share a handful of moves, then Sir, you are silly.
I kid you not, there's only two character pairs you could call actual clones, which are Link/Toon Link and Captain Falcon/Ganondorf. Every other character pair who has similar special moves (which are 4 out of 23; 24 if you count Final Smashes and with some characters having an aerial tether, those have even up to 25) are COMPLETELY different.
Go use Fox and do only moves with the standard attack button (A button on the GC controller), then go use Wolf and do the same and tell me again they're clones.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

They're not nearly different enough that the casual observer would notice. All foxs felt the same to me.
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

Reknoc wrote:They're not nearly different enough that the casual observer would notice. All foxs felt the same to me.
So you're saying that Chun-Li and Ryu play the same because both have a projectile, a spinning kick and a standard punch?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

If they had the same inputs and same animation I would yeah.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Rayne wrote:Actually on reflection that was overly harsh, somewhere underneath all the faults there is a very playable game. I think the subspacesomethingorotherpeperamisausage mode is very long and very boring but the rest of it is good enough.
I think that's the fairest description of the game. I'm not the only person who only touched that mode the once in order to unlock most of the characters. It wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't have that last "Hey, let's make the player go through mini versions of every stage and unlock every character again!" section.

As Option's saying, there are differences between the characters who are similar: Falco for example is much easier to stun the enemy with than Fox but his speed drops a little because of it. However, Rayne and Rekky are right: The casual Nintendo fan and those who don't play fighters too often wouldn't notice the little details very much.