Student Protests in the UK

What it says on the tin...
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Kaito-kun wrote:It passed today.

I'm not sure what to do about it really. I'm still umming and ahhing about uni. The local one is looking more appealing now simply because it'll save me some money on accommodation.
It did?! :D EPIC! Now we may see a rise in unemployment, that will hopefully push the government to totally over-haul the benefits system.

Well you've lived in Scotland for more than 5 years, so you're entitled to get it for free, ne? Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, whatever?
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

My Uni friends are considering moving to Canada, so that'll free up a spot for you in Tesco.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:My Uni friends are considering moving to Canada, so that'll free up a spot for you in Tesco.
Dripping with cleverness, I'm genuinely impressed :/

Although ironic that they're moving to canada...
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I worked in Tesco a couple of years ago. Got sacked. Or I walked out, one or the other. Well, decide for yourself: I was ill, and my boss said "Walk out now and you have no job tomorrow". And the next day I had a lovely lie-in.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Rayne wrote: Well you've lived in Scotland for more than 5 years, so you're entitled to get it for free, ne? Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, whatever?
Yeah, but for how much longer?
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Killer French Bread wrote:I worked in Tesco a couple of years ago. Got sacked. Or I walked out, one or the other. Well, decide for yourself: I was ill, and my boss said "Walk out now and you have no job tomorrow". And the next day I had a lovely lie-in.
XD when life gives you lemons, fuck it and buy apples instead.

For how much longer? For as long as we can sustain it, at the moment the Scottish Government's key policiy is to get indipendance. What better way to convince the people that we're better off alone than having free tuition?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Rayne wrote: For how much longer? For as long as we can sustain it, at the moment the Scottish Government's key policiy is to get indipendance. What better way to convince the people that we're better off alone than having free tuition?
True, but for how much longer will people south of the border think "Why the hell do those haggis sucking, kilt wearing, so-and-sos still get free university places while we're paying even more than we were before?! Our taxes still pay for those gits!" before trying to do something about it?
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Kaito-kun wrote:True, but for how much longer will people south of the border think "Why the hell do those haggis sucking, kilt wearing, so-and-sos still get free university places while we're paying even more than we were before?! Our taxes still pay for those gits!" before trying to do something about it?
They can think that all they like. The Scottish Government is given pocket money by Westminster and is given mostly free reign in how to spend it.

We're not blowing 11 million on a world cup bid, or london olympics. Before pointing at what they don't have, people in england should stop and look at what they had, before it was p*ssed up the wall.

This is all a tad off topic though. These increases in tuition will by no means be permanent as so many people simply can't afford them. What it means in the short term is that people who had aspired to go should instead get into work, get some life experience, build savings and grow up a bit. By then it'll have cooled off a bit.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Rayne wrote:Dripping with cleverness, I'm genuinely impressed :/

Although ironic that they're moving to canada...
Wasn't actually trying to be clever.

Canada has a decent games industry, that's the only reason they would consider it. Hell, we get taught by a British games developer for a well known company, and his best advice for us was to move to Canada.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:Wasn't actually trying to be clever.

Canada has a decent games industry, that's the only reason they would consider it. Hell, we get taught by a British games developer for a well known company, and his best advice for us was to move to Canada.
Uhh... Canadian studios are nearly always closing down.