The new Windows Phone 7. Better than the iPhone?

What it says on the tin...
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

The new Windows Phone 7. Better than the iPhone?

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Now, this just made me a lot curies. I just watched this advertisement about the new Microsoft phone on the TV saying that it was better than the I-phone and you had to stare less.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGkRNm-9CrM

The only think that I thought was cool was the X-Box live thing.

Well what do you think? ;)
Page
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Page »

I have a Samsung Galaxy S, I am looking at the Windows phone, it looks a great alternative. I think Iphone has the edge though as EVERYTHING is written for it!
________
Buy Iolite Vaporizer
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Yeah..I think that's mainly because most App developers believe everybody has an iPhone. In truth it's probably one of the most closed markets around, as you have to do everything Apple's way.

With WP7, however...I'm not sure. Previous versions of Windows Phone haven't been amazing, and with a constantly updating homescreen, I can't imagine it does the battery life any favours.
Page
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Page »

Battery life is a real pain on these smartphones, my old LG lasted forever in comparison. My main gripe with the galaxy s is how easy it is to get clogged up as everything you do stays open, its really irritating and the phone slowly grinds to a halt. I have installed task killer but always forget to use it...
________
Rolling A Joint
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Gavvie wrote:Yeah..I think that's mainly because most App developers believe everybody has an iPhone. In truth it's probably one of the most closed markets around, as you have to do everything Apple's way.
That's what I dislike about Apple products.

If I had the money, I would be interested in the Windows phone or the Samsung Galaxy. Both look pretty awesome.
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

I think I'm gonna agree with Gavvie on the Battery thing. As I had a Windows Phone 7 in my hand.

Visually, it's good, it's UI improved a lor, and XBL works just fine. But it's because of that I that the battery goes at least, in one day. That is, if you use a lot of apps.

But as in phone standards, I still prefer Android. Not because it's linked with Gmail and other apps, but it helps you on getting organized, like Calendar, Tasks, Maps, etc.
I live here now!
SimonShirley
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by SimonShirley »

Page wrote:My main gripe with the galaxy s is how easy it is to get clogged up as everything you do stays open, its really irritating and the phone slowly grinds to a halt.
I don't know if the new Windows phone does this but it was the same on my old brick (HTC Universal), running Windows Mobile 5.
Long time lurker and sometimes chief assistant. More the former.
ResidentSD
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by ResidentSD »

foreversonic wrote:I don't know if the new Windows phone does this but it was the same on my old brick (HTC Universal), running Windows Mobile 5.
As third-party apps cannot multitask on Windows Phone 7 (unlike on Windows Mobile) this shouldn't be an issue. In fact one of the things that impresses me with the videos of the OS is how unbeleivably responsive it looks. Still, I'd rather take a delay and have multitasking to be honest, as a 'single use' device is absolutely useless to me.
ResidentSD
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by ResidentSD »

NOTE - I actually wrote this post earlier on, but as I posted my response to the 'clogging' issue, I noticed I didn't post it! So, here we go...

I'm incredibly interested in Windows Phone 7. While I'm not 100% sure about the live tiles concept, I love the UI with the panoramic windows and hubs. It looks stunning.

The other thing I really like about WP7 compared to the iPhone (and this is also a benefit of Android over iOS too) is that it isn't all about apps. WP7 is task orientated, where as iOS is app orientated. What do I mean like this? Well, essentially, to do anything in iOS you need an app. So, let's say you've got some photos on Facebook. To take a look at them, you'd need to download the app. Got some snaps on flickr? You need to grab the app for that. Stuff on Picasa? As there isn't an app (I don't believe) you go to the website and take a look. It's all about apps.

However, on Windows Phone 7 you go into the Photos hub and all the content is there (as long as you've linked the services to your Windows Live ID which, of course, you should do). You don't have to think where your photos are to have to view them. Let's be clear - apps are pretty cool and serve their purpose in many ways. However, I think 'integrated experiences' (as Microsoft calls them) like this are pretty powerful too. Take the People hub. It not only has your contact information, but plugs into Facebook and Twitter etc to give you a 'whole internet world' overview of a contact, rather than just their name and number. This is something that's also true on Android and I think it's great.

It's biggest problem at the moment is lack of apps and whether developers will support the platform in the same way as iOS and Android. Certainly the development tools are pretty good and use much more modern development standards than both iOS and Android. Plus .NET developers can write Windows Phone apps right now, as they use the same development tools.

It's other problem is that it lacks a few features I look for on a smartphone, the main one being multitasking for 3rd-party apps. Until they get that sorted, Windows Phone 7 is a definite no for me. When they do fix that, my next upgrade should be interesting.....

Is it better than the iPhone? At the stuff that it does, I think the answer is yes. For me, the only plus the iPhone has going for it is the App Store and the quality and number of apps. Other than that, and the iPod app which supports chaptered podcasts (cause....you know.....we make those.....), nothing else really appeals to me about the iPhone. For me, especially after having a Galaxy S, the screen is too small. I hate the iOS interface (a home screen that's a grid of icons? How boring is that?) and the fact that apps have to keep to set UI guidelines, otherwise they might be rejected. I hate that the device doesn't have buttons (I use the back and search buttons on my phone all the time) and I hate it's limited format support. It's very much a device that will love you if you are part of the Apple eco-system. If you stray away from it, it could become a pain in the ass.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I'm wondering which one is better for gaming? The I-phone is impressive on the games. Will it be the same with the Windows phone?