Shmups anyone?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Parodius are still the best shmup games.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

I like having a blast on a shoot them all up before they get me game. Most of my faves have already been mentioned. Mars matrix, Thunder force, Giga wing. Musha's another one I quite like. Gleylancer is another one that resonates with me but I can't put my finger on why. I've pumped quite a few hours into that. I quite like the Bullet hells but im not too good at them to be honest. I probably prefer horizontal shooters but I think that's just because most vertical ones own me. Oh there's one on the XBLA I like off the indie pages called Shoot 1up. It's only 80 points aswell. You play as a squadron of planes at the same time.
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

Reknoc: Sexy Parodius is still the best shmup game?
couldnt agree more :)
Host of ClubSEGA - A show about the arcade scene and SEGA arcade games.
Wednesday at 8pm UK/WET - 9pm CEST- 3pm EST - 12pm PST
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I suppose a badger with his balls out and a burlesque dancer trying to crush you with stilletos make it a bit of a novelty at least. It's still just Gradius though - a typically tedious hori obsessed with power-ups.
Tic Tac, sir?
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Ahh I also forgot to mention a couple more, both for the Genesis/MD. First one is MUSHA. That game is seriously intense and fun, and with an amazing soundtrack to boot. Second is Gaiares. It's basically like Gradius. Gaiares was actually the first shmup I've ever played, unless you count Galaga as one. Both games can be pretty punishing, especially to the casual gamer. To someone with a ton of skill in shmups they probably aren't the hardest though but they sure kick my ass pretty good. Here's a couple screenshots.

Image - Gaiares
Image - MUSHA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
mazonemayu
Level 9
Level 9

Post by mazonemayu »

tx for reminding me of Gaiares, Wrath. I bought it when it came out & it was an excellent game at the time; awesome graphics, 17 weapons (most of em bad, but still ;p), cutscenes & huge bosses. also I loved the eco-theme back then.

overall:10/10 an awesome game
xboy_in_da_house
Level 12
Level 12

Post by xboy_in_da_house »

Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force (Mega Drive/Genesis), Radiant Silvergun (Saturn), Soldier Blade (PC Engine/TG-16), Raiden (Arcade), 1943 (Arcade), Gradius III (SFC/SNES)
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Radiant Silvergun is indeed awesome. I actually slightly prefer that over Ikaruga personally.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
xboy_in_da_house
Level 12
Level 12

Post by xboy_in_da_house »

Radiant Silvergun is indeed one the greatest shmups ever made and it's coming to the Xbox Live Arcade in 2011 and in HD
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Shocked i haven't posted here before

I quite like my Shmups, even though i aren't the best of players (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weVaaHJXvz0 - sums it up :/)

I just usually stick to The Touhou series (theres a homebrew one for the PSP thats quite good) and of course Hitogata Happa, loking to buy the other 2 Gundemonium PSN titles after Xmas :)