Eurovision Song Contest 2011

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

If you follow the press a bit, there's always a few candidates that are hyped and actually perform well only thanks to that press hype - Jedward is one of these things, but also the Estonian entry that purely became a favorite because it has been pushed by the media.
"The sub-structure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components. Behind atoms we find electrons - and behind electrons, quarks. Each layer unravelled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries."
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, For I Have Tasted The Fruit
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Kaito-kun wrote:J-Jedward went through to the final...

There is no God.
>:
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Just to go back to the discussion about how all the music in the world is crap, I heard this the other day:

[youtube]Yb_rqiH-PAs[/youtube]

What the fuck was that. Who's head seriously enjoys that? And what instrument was the blonde guy playing, the calculator? until someone can prove to me otherwise I consider that whole band to be some kind of post modern Spinal Tap, subversively mocking what is considered modern music. Same goes for Later with Jools Holland until I actually hear a decent song on it.
Tic Tac, sir?
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

You hearing that flickering bass? He's playing around with the bass' controls there, I guess adjusting the volume since the frequency seems always the same.
"The sub-structure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components. Behind atoms we find electrons - and behind electrons, quarks. Each layer unravelled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries."
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Jonathan Clements provides a fun I-Spy game to play during tonight's show.
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

Azerbaijan won.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

I didn't think it deserved to win, but hey, Europe has spoken.
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

Italy is the winner of my heart. And for me, Italy is the true winner, considering they don't have Turkish diaspora calling for them and have returned after 13 years of absence.

I don't really care about Azerbaijan winning, it was a forgettable song but they performed it well. I'm more concerned about Azerbaijan hosting the contest. It's in a very unstable region (Caucasus and bordering Iran and such), is not specifically stable itself and has huge hostility towards Armenia (which most likely will be absent from the contest 2012 because of that).

Edit:
Also was just reminded of the concern as to how to solve the timezone problem. Azerbaijan is 4 hours ahead of GMT.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Somewhere I've never heard of won it?
Makes sense I guess.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Option wrote:Italy is the winner of my heart. And for me, Italy is the true winner, considering they don't have Turkish diaspora calling for them and have returned after 13 years of absence.
I liked Italy.
Option wrote:I don't really care about Azerbaijan winning, it was a forgettable song but they performed it well. I'm more concerned about Azerbaijan hosting the contest. It's in a very unstable region (Caucasus and bordering Iran and such), is not specifically stable itself and has huge hostility towards Armenia (which most likely will be absent from the contest 2012 because of that).

Edit:
Also was just reminded of the concern as to how to solve the timezone problem. Azerbaijan is 4 hours ahead of GMT.
Hmm, all very good points, however, they might decline the opportunity to host it like others have before.